Florrie2's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Florrie2's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story Florrie2's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Unread 10-12-2021, 08:22 AM
Florrie2's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Florrie2's Abdominal Hysterectomy Story

Abdominal Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 48

10 years ago, I had a myomectomy to remove a fibroid. 3 years ago, I thought I felt something again, but my home life was really stressful so I ignored it until the pain made me do something about it 6 months later. It was another fibroid so I trialled tablets to reduce it. When they only partly helped, I decided to leave it another few months before taking any other decisions. Then the pandemic hit so I never followed it up. In June 2020, I almost fainted due to a sharp pain in my abdomen which, several ultrasounds, 2 MRIs and 3 consultants/surgeons later, lead to an additional diagnosis of cysts and stage 4 endometriosis which was sticking my whole abdomen together. It was planned that I would have a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I was a bit worried as I hadn’t had children and didn’t even use Tampax but the surgeon was not concerned.

I prepared by writing down some affirmations such as: “I feel and am safe in the hospital” and “When I wake up, the hospital staff are friendly and help me” to keep on top of any worry. I waited 9 months to have my surgery and was very stressed by uncertainty of when it would happen - so with the affirmations and by it finally happening, I was relatively calm.

I was in hospital for 2 nights. The main time I got tearful was in the anaesthetic room but I was put under very quickly. The next thing I knew, I was in the hospital bed. I had a nurse coming in regularly through the day and night to take my blood pressure and check on me. I had a button to press for morphine and was told to press it regularly.

The next morning, a nurse told me how to get out of bed safely and stayed with whilst I got washed and changed into my nightdress then got me to sit in a chair for most of the day. The surgeon came to check on me and was amazed at how good I seemed. He said I had been a challenge. They began with a laparoscopy, but had to change to a midline total abdominal hysterectomy, opening me up along the scar I had from the myomectomy, due to the size of my uterus. It took him and a bowel surgeon working for 2.5 hours to clear everything, including the endometriosis which was even more extensive than had shown on the MRI.

I was signed off work for 3 months due to the busyness and physicality of my job so I am due back at work next week.

The first 4 weeks at home were much harder than I had expected with a lot of exhaustion after doing very little, such as getting dressed. I couldn’t get comfortable sleeping and my swollen belly felt like it was moving around when I started short walks. I felt I was never going to improve. In week 5, I started to feel a bit better and had 4 days of a lot of brown discharge from my vaginal cuff which is apparently normal. The exhaustion had gone but I was physically really uncomfortable all of the time.

At 6 weeks, my abdomen felt far more mobile. As I started to walk more, I felt an internal chafing which I assume was still healing from the operation. My doctor and the physio told me to walk slower and walk a bit less. I started driving at 9 weeks, when my stomach felt more comfortable.

By week 10, I was sore externally as well as the internal chafing. I had my first follow up with my surgeon via video at 10.5 weeks but he then gave me a physical exam a week later. My issue was menopausal vaginal dryness. He signed me off surgically but I am seeing him again in 8 weeks to see if the vagifem treatment helps with the dryness. He said my swelly belly will eventually go - I still have it every day, all day and I am doing very little still.

I am relieved that I am on my healing journey and feel to my core that this was the right path to take - I probably should have done it sooner. I don't have the endometriosis and fibroid pain that I used to have.

My key advice is:
>Do not expect you will be back to normal quickly
>Rest lots but also make sure you move around, walk and change positions.
>Allow others to look after you!!
>Swelly belly - if you are lucky it will go quickly, otherwise, learn to embrace it
>Don’t underestimate the effect a major operation can have on your brain function - it took me until about week 10 for my brain to start feeling it was kicking in
>Don’t compare yourself to the others who have had different types of surgery

The Hystersisters site and forum has been a godsend for me. I would wake in the middle of the night and check the latest updates on the Recovery Report. This was when most of the women in the US were awake - this made me feel that I wasn’t on my own. I am intensely grateful to the women that run and support the site, as well as the women who replied to my concerns and posted their recoveries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register