10 Days Post Hysterectomy - Many Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 Days Post Hysterectomy - Many Questions 10 Days Post Hysterectomy - Many Questions

Unread 11-20-2021, 03:26 PM
10 Days Post Hysterectomy - Many Questions

Hi Everyone! I just found this group and very excited that i did because i have so many questions about things that are going on and if its normal or not. I am very paranoid about everything. My surgery was Nov 10 and it was laparoscopic. I came home the same day and felt great until about this past Tuesday. I dont know how to describe it but to say my insides hurt. It comes and goes all day long. Whether i am siting or laying down. Very uncomfortable. Is that because things are moving around? I have not had any bleeding since the night of my surgery but this morning when i got up to use the restroom my underwear was soaked in brown fluid. Is fluid and discharge considered the same thing? I have been wearing a pad and its been going on like this all day. I talked to the nurse this morning and she didn't seem concerned since i had no fever or extreme pain. Thats all i have for now. Any insight to calm my worried would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2021, 10:38 PM
Re: 10 Days Post-Op - Many Questions

Hi. Mine was laparascopic and Nov 9th. I had no bleeding at all either until yesterday a very slight brown tiny amount. My surgeon told me that if you have no bleeding, that at around 10 days-2 weeks you could experience a "gush", and to not be concerned unless you fill a pad in less than 2 hours. I'm feeling very tight and weird inside too - but I think that is to be expected right now!
Unread 11-21-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDNZ View Post
Hi. Mine was laparascopic and Nov 9th. I had no bleeding at all either until yesterday a very slight brown tiny amount. My surgeon told me that if you have no bleeding, that at around 10 days-2 weeks you could experience a "gush", and to not be concerned unless you fill a pad in less than 2 hours. I'm feeling very tight and weird inside too - but I think that is to be expected right now!

Oh my gosh thank you for replying. It’s great to hear from someone who had the surgery right before me as then we are experiencing possibly the same thing I figured everything was normal but sometimes you just need reassurance as a lot of stuff went on with our bodies. I have my 2 week follow up tomorrow. I hope everything is going ok with you so far. Hugs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Mine was laparoscopic Nov.8. Starting yesterday 13 days post op I started feeling very minimal aching. It’s a weird feeling it is almost like gas pain or a very minimal period cramp. This morning I have had more than normal discharge and the tint of blood is a darker pink than the usual pale. I have my 2 wk post op on Wednesday.
Unread 11-23-2021, 02:10 AM

I had my surgery November 15th. I barely had any pink when wiping. Now tonight, I have brownish liquid and gas/crampy discomfort. Does this sound the same?
Unread 11-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Re: 10 Days Post Hysterectomy - Many Questions

and

When you have a hysterectomy, parts get removed, but the remaining organs aren't sloshing around in there. They're held in place by their own ligaments, connective tissue and indentations in the abdominal wall. Think of a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs: if you remove a meatball, the noodles move into its place, but are still confined by the bowl and other noodles and sticking together with the sauce.

Your insides are sore because you've had major surgery. You've had 4-5 sets of ligaments, many blood vessels and connective tissue cut as well as organs removed, and anything which was bleeding from the procedure has been stitched or cauterized. All that internal trauma takes time to heal, and recovery really does have to be thought of in terms of many weeks rather than days. If you were feeling great, you may have been moving around more than you realized, and your body isn't ready to handle it yet. Also, healing itself comes in stages, and the body's chemistry signals when the next phase begins. Those phases can bring on different symptoms as tissues contract to bind. So yes, you can feel great one day or week and feel like you've taken two steps backwards the next day or week.

Fluid, discharge, spotting, bleeding... we use the terms interchangeably here - whatever we think best describes what we're seeing. Spotting or bleeding can happen at any time during the time you're still under a doctor's care, even if you had none at first. The general guideline is if you're filling a maxi-pad in an hour, that's an emergency. What you're seeing is nowhere near that. There is old blood and debris, and the body is flushing it out while rebuilding the tissues. Also, different phases of healing happen at different times, so you'll see changes in your discharge - in color, volume, consistency. You may see more when your stitches start to dissolve in the next few weeks. You should have instructions from your doctor or hospital on spotting, bleeding and when to be concerned. The guide I like is Vaginal Discharge After Hysterectomy for detailing what's normal and what's not.

You were given some good links in the New Member Center and have found your Recovery Thread already. I'm guiding that Thread and will be sharing resources to meet the ladies in your group where you are. I think the Recovery Video for Weeks 1 & 2 on our Recovery splash page will help, too.

Unread 11-23-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsma View Post
I had my surgery November 15th. I barely had any pink when wiping. Now tonight, I have brownish liquid and gas/crampy discomfort. Does this sound the same?
Hi Bugsma!

It does sound similar. I literally had nothing until 10 days after surgery. Since then it has been this brown fluid. I had my 2 week post op appointment yesterday and talked to my doctor about it and she said its just old blood making its way out of the body. She did take a sample of it just in case and today it came back negative. I almost feel like in our head we are thinking ok look they took everything out there should be no more of any kind of fluid come out of us. Hahaha Maybe thats just me. Im tired of wearing pads. My doctor didnt say how long it would last. I read Cussette posts and found it very interesting and well put. We are all in this together and to support one another. Hugs!!
Unread 11-23-2021, 02:49 PM

Me too. Nothing till about day 10, then spotting of watery brown blood for the last 5 days. Have my 2 week check via Zoom today, but really good to hear it seems pretty standard!
Unread 11-23-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
Hi Bugsma!

It does sound similar. I literally had nothing until 10 days after surgery. Since then it has been this brown fluid. I had my 2 week post op appointment yesterday and talked to my doctor about it and she said its just old blood making its way out of the body. She did take a sample of it just in case and today it came back negative. I almost feel like in our head we are thinking ok look they took everything out there should be no more of any kind of fluid come out of us. Hahaha Maybe thats just me. Im tired of wearing pads. My doctor didnt say how long it would last. I read Cussette posts and found it very interesting and well put. We are all in this together and to support one another. Hugs!!
I'm definitely sick of not feeling like me. I was pretty nervous last night so it was nice to see I'm not alone. I talked to the nurse. She said basically the same things, just monitor for red blood, increased bleeding or unbearable pain and said if my doctor said anything different she'd call me.

Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register