New here: CIN III/CIS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here: CIN III/CIS New here: CIN III/CIS

Unread 12-14-2002, 10:05 PM
New here: CIN III/CIS

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now, and have finally decided to post. Maybe you guys can help ease my uncertainty a little.

Just turned 30 years old, and back in August I went in for the yearly scootch with some ovulation-like discharge. Had the pap done and was told it was probably some sort of bacteria.."Here, take these and come see me in a couple of weeks". Well, the news wasn't good, but I can't say it was bad, either. Atypia is what she said. Minor dysplasia. Let's repeat the pap in 3 months.

Fast forward to November...repeat pap...now it's not better, but worse and she says I need a colposcopy. Went over to UT Health Center, because I wanted the very best care and a second opinion. He performed the colpo and a biopsy on December 4th and said he thought it was CIN III, but would know more when the results came in. I worried those nurses to death from the following Monday until I got my results on Tuesday afternoon. It was, indeed CIN III/CIS.

Just went for the follow-up and Gyn said he wants to do a LEEP, in hopes of getting rid of all of it. My question to you is this....TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE!!! :cry:
I am scheduled for the LEEP on December 30th. Happy New Year to me!

I feel like such a weenie for posting to all of you, because most of you have real problems...but this is real to me. My family has a serious history of female cancers, and hysterectomies, and I don't want to be the next.

Not much support around for me, either. Hubby is supportive, but doesn't have a clue. Mother is a nurse and kinda about the whole thing. No friends who understand. So I turned to the only place I could find....all of you.

I would appreciate anything you could tell me, and I already appreciate you letting me bend your ears..

Just sign me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2002, 11:59 PM

Hi TexasLdy,

I had two Cones done but never the Leep procedure. Hopefully someone will come along who has had it, but in the meantime here's a link that will give you some information about it.

** Click Here - WebMD Leep Procedure **

Of course this is real to you. It's a scary thing. My first abnormal pap showed up back in '89. I had the colposcopy and the Cone and that was the end of it for 10 years. For many people that's the end of it for good......those ladies move on and we don't hear from them again.

You come back with any questions or concerns that you have.

Unread 12-15-2002, 04:52 AM

Hi!

I know how you're feeling. It was a scary time for me, and I tried to hold it together for my kids (fell apart with my husband!). Meditation seemed to help calm me! I got Peggy Huddleston's book and tape, Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster. It really helped me!

It seems with these diagnoses, we all go step by step, test after test. I also had a discharge, and for about 3 to 4 weeks it never seemed to go away. I did not have the LEEP procedure, sorry. I did have a cone biopsy, which confirmed my cancer diagnosis. I waited six weeks after the biopsy to have my surgery, so I could heal from the cone bx.

We're all here for you.
's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2002, 08:21 PM

I understand the anxiety you are feeling! It's so hard to know that there are abnormal cells hiding out inside of you.

The LEEP is actually considered to be a little less invasive of a procedure than a cone. It uses an electified loop wire to remove a section of the cervix and check it for abnormal cells. On the bright side, it is frequently enough to treat the problem as well. Recovery time is less than the cone, and the procedure can also be done in the office. There is discharge afterward for a couple of weeks, but it should be minimal.

Good luck! I hope the LEEP is enough to treat your condition. Remember to keep all of your follow-up appointments for the next many months. Dysplasia is known to return at times, though they say that the LEEP or cone usually takes care of the problem in 90% of women.
Unread 12-15-2002, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much to all of you who have replied so far! I do feel a little better, but am still really nervous. Guess I'm just not sure what to expect.

You guys have really HUGE hearts!! You support each other so well, and still take such good care of each and every woman who comes on here looking for support.

Thanks also for not beating up on me for having what seems to be such a *minor* problem compared to all of you.

I hope, like Jeanine said, that the LEEP will be enough to take care of the problem for me. If any of you pray, please add me to your prayer lists.

s & to all of you!

Paula
Unread 12-16-2002, 05:09 AM

(((Paula)))

When your health is concerned, there are no "minor" problems. Many of us have had our surgeries for precancerous issues. That doesn't mean it isn't a concern.

Good luck, Paula! I hope your LEEP goes well.

Unread 12-16-2002, 09:11 AM

Paula,
Just wanted to wish you well for your leep procedure! I am also in Texas, in Katy. Praying that all goes good for you!! Let us know what happens!
Rhonda
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:32 AM
CIN III/CIS LEEP Procedure

I think there might be one thing to think about further with the LEEP. It can be done in the doctors office, but I had it in the hospital so that they could give me anesthesia. Not sure they can do this in a doctors office. I was not comfortable for the colposcopy and biopsy they did in the doctors office so I opted to be "knocked out." It was really over before I knew what hit me and although I ate too soon after I left the hospital and got sick, I experienced only minor cramping afterwards and I recovered fine. Of course if you are anesthetized (spelling???) you need 24 hours to get it out of your system and can't drive, etc....

There are a few other posts under Cancern Concerns talking about LEEPS, cones, etc. that you should check out. They were extremely helpful to read!!!!

I had my LEEP in September and will get colposcopy, ECC and biopsy done January 16th. Afterwards I believe I will opt for the hysterectomy. It is nerve wracking thinking you might have cancer!

There are so many women on this site who have been through so much more than me and I feel strengthened by their courage and their thoughtfullness and support in responding to people like you and me who seem to have "smaller" problems but they know they are big to us. Hopefully, we'll both come out of this with flying colors. If hysterectomy is in our futures at least we know where we can go for support!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Re: CIN III/CIS LEEP Procedure

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappy
I think there might be one thing to think about further with the LEEP. It can be done in the doctors office, but I had it in the hospital so that they could give me anesthesia. Not sure they can do this in a doctors office. I was not comfortable for the colposcopy and biopsy they did in the doctors office so I opted to be "knocked out." It was really over before I knew what hit me and although I ate too soon after I left the hospital and got sick, I experienced only minor cramping afterwards and I recovered fine. Of course if you are anesthetized (spelling???) you need 24 hours to get it out of your system and can't drive, etc..
Hi Nappy~
Thanks for your reply. I will also be "anesthetized" for my procedure, and they will inject with lidocaine. I should be fine, but the unknown is the scariest part of all.

I also find that the more involved this thing gets (going from a "bad pap", to the reality of CIN III/CIS) the harder it is for me to find normal sleeping patterns. I am now an insomniac. Can anyone relate?

Thanks so much for all of your replies and kindness!

Paula
Unread 12-17-2002, 08:52 AM
You have all of my sympathy!!!!

I received my notice of severe dysplasia/carcinoma via certified mail so I opened it at the post office and nearly toppled over. I had never had an abnormal pap. My doctor was very concerned because it had come so far so fast.

I was devastated. I couldn't be pulled off of the ceiling. My ex husband died in april from cancer so I was already reeling and another close friend has been battling ovarian cancer. It is normal to be so frightened. Finally my doctor prescribed valium (but it would have help if she mailed it with my first notice!). I was a TOTAL MESS. I was afraid to be home alone with my daughter, I was afraid to be alone, period. I think I must have read 70 books to keep my mind elsewhere!

I had the LEEP done, It was at the hospital under general anesthesia. I have a daughter and never planned on more so I simply wanted the hyst, period and was angered that they would force me to do the cone first but they do this to judge the extent (depth/area) of the CIS/CIN III. Mine was at the margins. So I got my hyst. I can now sleep at night.

The hyst is a drastic measure. Make sure you must have one or are ready to before you choose this option. Get more than one opinion. I was so panicked and anxious and didn't know about this site and in my previous searches on the internet never uncovered it.

Also, just to let you know. LEEP is an electrified loop which means there is less bleeding as it cauterizes while it takes the tissue BUT a Cold Knife Cone leaves the margins undamaged by heat thusly giving (what I think) is a more accurate measure of the dysplasia via pathology, however I have heard you do bleed some. When I mentioned the cone to my ob/gyn she just kind-of poo-poo'd it and said she was doing the LEEP and I was too much of a wreck/wimp to demand something more.

My aunt (who is 66), had a CKC done over 38 years ago for CIS/CINIII (although hers was not as deep as mine), she had a baby after that and never had another abnormal pap. I have read that sometimes the dysplasia comes back but that is why they give paps every 3 months for two years after a cone.

Try to read all you can to educate yourself and try, please try not to let the fear have it's way with you, it is such an awful animal as I can attest and gives you such a bad time while trying to research all of your options.

Looking back on everything I feel I made the best choices I could. I feel good. I feel like me.

I wish you the best. You have come to the right place. The Sisters are here for you.

Patsy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register