cervical cancer recurrence/pelvic exenteration | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cervical cancer recurrence/pelvic exenteration cervical cancer recurrence/pelvic exenteration

Unread 12-17-2002, 10:51 PM
cervical cancer recurrence/pelvic exenteration

Debbie (Shephardpal), I just found this board, because of your post. I am scheduled for a total pelvic exenteration on the 27th of December, and am quite scared.

I have a recurrence of cerivical cancer. I had a radical hysterectomy on March 31st of 2001. I then had a recurrence on the 31st of December 2001, I then underwent radiation followed with an implant for three days in March of 2002.

Now, I've had another recurrence, and my doctor wants to give me a total pelvic exenteration. I was hoping, I could chat or correspond with you about this type of surgery. I've looked out there and have not found too much information about this. My Dr states that this will be a 50 - 60% chance of cure.

BUT, I'm wondering about my life after this surgery. He states that it will be quite normal once I recover, and that I will be in the hospital between 2 weeks to a month. (goodness that alone is scary)

Please anyone, who has also gone through this, I'm very interested in your stories.

Thanks, Tammy (new member)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2002, 06:50 AM

Hii Tammy,

I know how frightened you must be and there is little on the internet about exenterations.and what there is is depressing ad not at all what I experienced i had mine an Aug 7 for an 8 cm tumor that was between the vagina and rectum. They are not sure where the cancer originated, only that it is squamos cell.
My only symptom was a water vaginal discharge. I assume you have a very good onc/ surgeon because only major hospitals do exenterations.
I was in the hospital for10 days after the exenteration an walking on the 3rd day. It was the first time I'd been in the hospital in my life except when having my 4 teens. A colostomy nurse helped me get use to the colostomy and now I hadly think of of it. I found comfortable, disposable bags with a filter that make things very easy so don't be alarmed by the uncomfortable monstrosity of a bag they give you in the hospital. will you be having your bladder removed too. I idn't, but had to come home with a catheter for a week, had trouble with leaking for a while, but it is better now. Tammy it truly wasn't so bad. You need to rest a lot after surgery,more than after a regular TABH, but you will recover. I hope you have people to help you. I am praying and thinking of you.
Unread 12-18-2002, 09:54 AM

s Tammy

Welcome to CC. I'm glad to see Debbie has met you already. She is one of the stars of this forum and I just know you will find her to be quite an inspiration.
My cancer was ovarian so I am not able to share much info with you.
Just know this is a wonderful site for hugs, inspiration, venting and even humor.
I hope you stay in touch. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

s karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2002, 07:12 PM

(((Tammy)))

Welcome to Cancer Concerns ! I'm sorry to hear you are looking at more surgery. I really have no knowledge of pelvic exenterations, but I am glad that you have made contact with Debbie. She has been so brave and strong throughout all of this, and I just know she will be able to encourage you along.

I want to wish you the very best success with your surgery! Please feel free to come by and visit and let us know how you are getting along!

and .
Unread 12-18-2002, 09:31 PM

Yes, I am having my bladder removed as well as my vagina. My doctor told me I would be in the hospital anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month. My tumor is on the back wall of my vagina, as well as behind the wall between my rectum and bladder, that is why he will be removing "everything in my pelvic area". They will be creating a "new vagina" for me using some muscle from my upper thighs.
Unread 12-19-2002, 06:44 AM

Tammy,

Your exenteration is a little more extensive then mine which is probably why the hospital stay is longer. It will give you not only time to recover, but to get used to the new " equiptment". Cancer is such a horrible disease to do this to us, but it can't touch our spirit or our souls and that's where all then needed strength to not only endure, but conquer lies. Please keep in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register