Hemotoma question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hemotoma question Hemotoma question

Unread 12-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Hemotoma question

OK....I'm starting to get frustrated....

I'm 6 weeks post op LAVH and doing pretty well, with two exceptions.

First, let me say that my surgery was done by a gyn onc due to suspected cancer, but got the all clear on that....great news! However, I was bleeding internally after surgery and had to receive 2 units of blood.

At my 2 week post op check, re-check CA125 which is still elevated. CBC going back up....good news.

At my 4 week post op check, had infected incisions due to stitches not disolving, doc re-opened them slightly to drain. Vaginal exam showed that cuff stitches had still not dissolved.

At 5 weeks post-op, had pelvic CT scan done to make sure that there were not any hemotoma's that my body had not absorbed.

Had 6 week post op today. Incision still infected/red....doc says it's because stitches still have not dissolved....not to worry, they'll work themselves out eventually ?!? When I asked if the internal stitches could get infected, he looked at me like I was a hypochondriac, and said "no, they'll dissolve". Vaginal exam showed that most stitches were gone, but he removed 2. CT scan does show 5.5 cm hemotoma above vagina and behind bladder.

He re-did my CA125 today, scheduled me for a pelvic ultrasound in Feb to see if hemotoma has dissolved, and another visit with him in Feb.

OK....when I asked him why he had a CT scan done to make sure there was not a hemotoma.....and now there is, what now? He says "do nothing", nothing to worry about, my body will absorb it. This makes no sense to me, and I asked him why, and didn't get a sufficient answer. He was then called into an emergency surgery, so he said he'd see me in 2 mos.

Has anyone else had a hemotoma? I understand that it's not connected to a vein/artery, but why would he want to check and see if it's there, and then do nothing? I read a post on here where someone's internal stitches did get absessed. Am I worrying for nothing? I do still get stabbing pains in different places.....doc says it's normal.

I'm just frustrated.....any insight would help.

Thanks ladies.....

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Hemotoma question

{{{Lauren}}}
I didn't have an internal hematoma, but I did have an incisional hematoma after a laprotomy I had before I had my hyst. My incision was reopened and the hematomas were busted and than the incision was drained and cleaned.

I'm sorry I can't shed any on the internal hematomas. I'm sending lots of s and some for you.
Unread 12-20-2002, 05:39 AM
Hemotoma question

I too had an internal hemotoma which showed up on a CT scan. My dr. also did nothing said my body would reabsord the fluid. Well that was two weeks ago and I am starting to feel better, so it looks like he was right. Now I am dealing with the nerve damage that occured during my TAH.

Just wanted to ease your mind, from what I understand this is common. It is truly amazing how our bodies heal. Hopefully you will feel better soon.

s to you,
Kristi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2002, 07:27 AM
Hemotoma question

Thanks so much for letting me know that you had the same situation.....eases my mind.

Sorry you're dealing with nerve damage, does not sound like any fun.

Thanks again!
Lauren
Unread 12-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Hemotoma question

Lauren,

I too had a hematoma - a big bump the size of a large orange in my pelvis. It was absorbed without problem. It did look awful and I was literally black and blue for 2 months, but it went away.

A CA-125 measures inflamation as much as anything else. While your doc will want to monitor you, it may not go down quickly as long as the hematoma is still resolving.

Dorrie
Unread 12-27-2002, 03:49 AM
Hematoma

Hi:

I'm so glad you asked that question. Yes, Yes, Yes. Someone else has a concern about a hematoma (blood clot). Me!!

My TAH was 11/25/02 (4 1/2 weeks ago). I noticed a hardening which was quite large, actually 4 times the size of my incision (which was 11 inches, because of the 6 centimeter dermoid cyst that they had to remove). Anyway, back to the hematoma. Oddly enough, I had a double hernia operation 2 months prior to the hysterectomy, after which I developed quite a good size hematoma, which scared the bejeesus out of me, which only after 2 months is almost gone. So when my TAH hematoma developed, I was pretty sure what it was/is. Called my awesome GYN doctor, who advised me to rest, rest, rest (and then rest some more), as well as apply a heating pad to the area, to help it break up. Well it seems to be working.

But I gotta tell you, that it's a little alarming to reach down and feel this tender area, that feels "heavier" than it should be and certainly more "firm". But daily, with the heat, I can see that it's improving.

But there's absolutely one thing for sure. REST is extremely important. I'm a tough cookie, but still found myself getting tired after only a few moments of unexpect activity, like going for a car ride (at first).. Dumb move at 10 days post op!! I still get tired after just a little activity, but this too shall pass.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Punctured Pat
Unread 02-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Hemotoma question

HELLO LADIES, I HOPE YOU ALL ARE STARTING TO FEEL MUCH BETTER. I TOO HAVE TWO HEMOTOMAS I ASUME THEY ARE BLOOD CLOTS? I ALSO HAD A HERNIA THAT I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT TILL AFTER THE SURGERY SO I AM ASSUMING THAT IS THE REASON? THE HERNIA WAS BEHIND MY UTERUS. I HAD A TAH AND I AM HAVING A DICHARGE (BROWN) BUT WITH NO FEVER OR CHILLING. MY SURGERY WAS FEB. 12 I DO FEEL ALOT BETTER BEACUSE I WAS HAVING TERRIBLE BACK PAINS DUE TO THE HERNIA I SOPPOSE. BUT THATS WHAT ONE OF THE DR.S SAID TO ME THAT WE WOULD JUST WAIT TO SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN. IT IS SCARY, THINKING THAT ONCE YOU HAVE THIS DONE EVEYTHING IS HREAT THEN SOMETHING ELSE TO DEAL WITH BUT STILL I DO THINK IT WILL GET BETTER. I SEE MY REG. DR TOMMORROW (THURS) SO I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFO. AND WHAT HE SEEMS TO THINK SOMETIMES ITS GOOD TO FIND OUT ALL YOU CAN IF IT WASNT FOR THIS SITE I DONT THINK I WOULD OF GOTTON THIS FAR. TAKE CARE SISTERS......... MICHELLE
TWO 4CM HEMOTOMIAS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register