Trachelectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trachelectomy Trachelectomy

Unread 12-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi! I was just diagnosed with cervical adenocarcinoma. I've heard from some wonderful ladies in this forum about the procedure "trachelectomy".

Has anyone actually had this procedure? I've read about 2 Dr's. in California who perform this. I live in Florida.

I know how blessed I am to have a child. He just turned 1 year old last week. I am interested in this procedure because I would like to have another child. (My OBGYN said it may be possible for me to get pregnant ASAP then have a C-section and a hysterectomy together).

I'm meeting with an oncologist Monday a.m. and want to make sure I'm a little bit educated. Any information is greatly appreciated!Thank you all soooo much! JILL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi Jill,

I did a search here and didn't come up with too much, but did find this thread by a lady who had the procedure. She included a link to an article in the NY Times which I've seen mentioned in other threads.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...=trachelectomy

's
Unread 12-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi,
I had cervical adenocarcinoma a year ago and had a TVH. I wish I had heard of the trachelectomy. I have 2 children and really wanted a third and now I do not have the option. (I do however have peace of mind that I am cured of cancer) There is a woman who has posted here that had the procedure and did get pregnant after. Did you have a cone biopsy and did they stage the cancer for you? Some women have just had a cone with clean margins and have been able to get pregnant. I was given that option but did not think that I would ever relax. Please look into your options and discuss it with at least one gyn/oncologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2002, 06:04 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi,
I just read your other post. <3 mm is considered to be stage 1A. With stage 1A removal of the cervix and uterus is usually recommended. However if the tumor is over 3mm a radical hysterectomy is usually recommended. Adenocarcinoma is a bit trickier because it is higher up in the cervix.

Please email me if you ever want to talk. I was in a similar position a year ago and know what you are going through.
Unread 12-23-2002, 08:28 AM
I had one

JillSue,

I'm sorry, it looks like I haven't posted before your appointment. I had a trachelectomy in July here in Arizona; I was also diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the cervix. I'm not sure what kind of information you'd like, but you can e-mail me any time or post your questions here and I'd be glad to answer any of your questions to the best of my ability.

A trachelectomy is the removal of the cervix, leaving the possibility for fertility (as you already know!). I had a radical trachelectomy where the doc also removed some lymph nodes to make sure the cancer hadn't spread outside of the cervix.

There is a site that has some information at www.cancerbacup.org.uk. If you want to, go to the site and search on trachelectomy; the second article is pretty informative. I'm sorry that I don't know how to properly post a link at this time, I will learn how to do that ASAP.

Best of luck with your appointment, and please let me know if you have any questions!

Chicklet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register