Getting Closer... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Closer... Getting Closer...

Unread 12-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Getting Closer...

The count down is 4 days until arriving at hospital for my TAH/BSO on 12/27/02. I have gone back and forth with being nervous. I'm afraid it will all hit me Friday morning. Thank goodness for this website! I have been on it everyday since I found it. It has helped me tremendously with all the questions I have had. I will be so glad when all of this is over. I am going for pre-op testing today which shouldn't be that big of a deal. Then I will have the count down on getting through Christmas and getting my house cleaned and organized enough for me to relax after my surgery (not that I will have a choice) and that way my DH will only have me to worry about. If you have any hints on preparing my home before hand I would surely like to hear them. I am leaving it up to my DH and DS to fend for themselves for grocery shopping.

Well I will continue to follow up with everything going on until it is time for me to go to the Castle and then I will definately be checking back in with my update for all the "ladies in waiting".

Carri

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2002, 07:04 AM
Getting Closer...

s, Carri!! Sooo glad you found this site! I was on here every day 'til surgery, too! It's wonderful.

As far as getting your house ready, my personal recommendations are these:

* get your bedroom and recovery area in order (some, like me, prefer to recover in the recliner than in the bed ). My dh moved a small table by the bed for me, complete with a bell to ring and fabric flowers supplied by my dds! You'll want a small pillow for your tummy, lip balm, kleenex and a place to put a glass of water/juice. Some women also keep cough drops there so they don't cough - it can hurt to cough!

* don't try to get the whole house done before surgery. If you fill your days with cleaning and cooking, that's OK if that works for you - it will fill up your time - *but* you don't want to be exhausted when you go into the hospital. Balance! I decided which household chores I would like to see done while I was recovering and showed my dds (12 and 8) how to do them before I had surgery (basically dusting, vacuuming, keeping the living room picked up, etc.). My dh was in charge of the cooking, shopping, teaching (we homeschool), and whatever else.

* if you can't sleep the night before surgery (some can, some can't), at least lay down and close your eyes and rest your body. Put on some music, the news, a movie, whatever and just rest and listen. Whatever works for you.

* you could take your bed pillow with you to the hospital - it will be more comfortable for you. Take a small "tummy" pillow, too - or they may give you a "coughing" pillow that they give to C-section moms (that's what happened to me - I still hug it at night!!).

* pull out the biggest sweatpants you can find and some loose, comfy tops you can lounge in while you recover. Make sure to bring loose clothes to come home from the hospital in. I brought clogs to slip into so I wouldn't have to tie my shoes up and a big sweatsuit. A large, gentle waistband is a must! You might also want to go shopping for jumpers or casual dresses that don't have an actual waistband. I never wore them before but they were *wonderful* during recovery. So comfortable. Check department stores like K-Mart, Wal-Mart or even thrift shops. There might be something in the maternity section (hey, this is only temporary - you'll be back in "regular" clothes someday!) I also brought an extra pillow to sit on for the car ride home (lots of potholes and a one-hour ride to get home!) and used my tummy pillow between me and the seat belt on the side I lost an ovary on.

* you might want to get some "mindless" reading from the library - books/magazines with lots of color pictures - I got ones on hairstyles/make up and decorating. You can pick them up or put them down any time without being concerned about where you started or stopped. (I got a bunch but never had the mental concentration or interest to even look at them LOL - it happens sometimes!)

* try not to stress over anything! The most important thing is for you to get better - that means you must rest a lot, drink a lot, and get short daily walks. I felt better having someone with me when I went up and down the stairs and for my walks when I was in early recovery because I felt a little shaky. This is a time when it is absolutely important for you to take excellent care of yourself and let others do things for you!!

* during recovery, never, never overdo! One of the things I overdid about was to reach up into a high cabinet while on tiptoes - what was I thinking!! Ow!! I hurt for three weeks over that one. Please be careful. As I recovered, I found I was able to squat down rather than bend over and that was better. If you find yourself wondering "should I do this?" - the answer is probably "no."

Hope all goes very well for you. Let the pampering begin!!

Happy Holidays!

~Sue
Unread 12-23-2002, 07:05 AM
Getting Closer...

Hi Carri , good luck at pre op today, it's usually easy. Try not to worry too much about your housework - I'm pretty picky but didn't care much after my surgery. My dh and dd took care of most of it and I just let the rest go. I learned that the world did continue even with an unmopped floor! Have a great Christmas and then be a good princess and let the pampering start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2002, 07:06 AM
Getting Closer...

Carri,

If you haven't already done so, go to the HS Home Page & look at the pull-down menu under Ladies in Waiting - Pre-Op Hysterectomy Hints. There is a lot of good info there.

I remember all the lists I made & all the things I felt I had to accomplish before my castle stay. Well, on surgery day I was so relaxed, the nurses were suprised my blood pressure was so low! lol! They said typically blood pressure rises in people who are having major surgery - because of the stress. But, thanks to this board & all the good info I felt very prepared & ready for the surgery. Also, whatever hadn't gotten done by that day was just going to have to wait.

Just keep reading & posting your questions & you will find mountains of help & support here.

All the best to you & a very Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-23-2002, 07:25 AM
Getting Closer...

Hi, Carri - I also made two lists of all the phone numbers/email addresses my dh and I might need while I was in the hospital and I brought along a prepaid phone card in case I wanted to make a call.

Happy Holidays to you and your family and a fantastic 2003 as a !

~Sue (again)
Unread 12-24-2002, 09:32 AM
packing everything today

for my Day After Xmas trip. Things have been wacky since my in-laws came last Tuesdysa, ythen the next day father in law went intot he hosptial and is still there. he may get out tonight or tomorrow, had a pacemaker put in and screwed up.
Needless to say, all my pre-holidayplans have been screwed up royally. My pother in law is totally confused, I end up wrapping gifts at midnight and waiting for DH to return from the hospital so I can take my painkiller. It makes me dizzy and I cannot watch the little kids while looped out.
I started to get a cold and swollen glands on Sunday, now am organizing the Xmas Dinner for 10 at my house. Finally convinced MIL to go to the grocery store t
his mirnign by herself, it is only 1 block away so she could not get lost. DH took the gilrs to go meet her and try to minimize th eimpulse buying, DH told me again that I am NOT doing any cooking tomorrow. Which means he will be exhausted the day of my surgery.

I'm trying to concentrate on my packing and whatever I may need thismorning, cuz the rest of the day is Christmas Eve activities and then off to visit grandpa at his hospital. We joked, they should transfer him to my hospiotal so the family could go to one wiating room. Trying to find Humor in this stumbling block.

Thanks to all the inpuy, advice, lists, and Support from all the ladies and Princesses. I'm packing my Princess sleep shirt and book right now. Hugs to all
Unread 12-24-2002, 10:29 AM
Getting Closer...

Hi Carrie,
One more thing I might add is to put a straight back chair (like a kitchen chair) wedged between the night table and the bed. Place it so the back is against the mattress/boxspring, you should be able to use it like the rail on the castle bed to get in and out of bed without waking DH in the middle of the night for a pee break. Credit goes to one of our sisters, not myself.

Good luck to you, soon you'll be a princess and look lovely in your rcrown!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register