getting to the end of the fistula road? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting to the end of the fistula road? getting to the end of the fistula road?

Unread 12-23-2002, 03:03 PM
getting to the end of the fistula road?

Hey Ladies,

Went to the gyn today for what I thought would be my LAST visit after all this fistula mess. I have one small area of granulation that is flapping in the breeze (or at least in the vagina). He has noted this for my last 3 visits. The discussion has always been that he wanted to be absolutely sure that it wasn't the vaginal part of my fistula and wait until the ureter was healed, etc. Well, today was to be the day he cauterized it and said, "Good bye." Instead, he just literally couldn't make himself do it. Although he is absolutely certain now that it is just granulation tissue, the idea of doing any thing to me that might result in any sort of damage was just more than he could handle. It was really kind of funny. He admitted to being totally chicken and asked if I would come back in another month after my final IVP. I really don't mind. I realize that I'm his one and only fistula in 17 years of practice and this has affected him deeply. (certainly not as deeply as it has me or any of the other fistula ladies).

I do have a question. I'm still having some pain on the left side where the ureter was injured. It isn't overwhelming at all but more annoying. The doc today said that it could be from adhesions (post old c-section), the endo removal, or the ureteral damage. I'm to ask the uro about that last one. He said that at this time the best prescription is time. What do you think?

Just thought I'd keep ya'll updated.

Here for the LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG haul,

MaryJulia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2002, 03:17 PM

Mary,

I don't have an answer for your question, but your doctor sounds like a charm!!! Could you send him here for a bit?
Unread 12-23-2002, 05:11 PM

MaryJulia, that doctor of yours sounds like a real sweetheart Be sure to hang on to him, 'cause some of the ladies around here might want to grab him

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this is it, and that you are off the Fistula Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2002, 01:19 PM

Mary Julia,

Don't know for sure about the pain, it could be adhesions which can be painful. It also could just be everything healing. I know that I still have some minor pain in the bladder sometimes and when I told my DR. he said it was normal.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well and hopefully in a month you can say farewell to Dr. for awhile.

Have a great holiday,

Barbara
Unread 12-26-2002, 03:45 PM

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for the advice, Barbara. I'm just wondering about any nerve damage that would take time to resolve. It seems to be worse when I lie down.

I still don't begin to have the stamina I had before all of this. Are you and the others feeling back up to pre hyst pre fistula shape now?

MaryJulia
Unread 01-27-2003, 06:01 PM

Hey Ladies,

I'm not sure if the old or new crowd will see this, but I know I'm supposed to post on my own thread.

I went to see the doctor today for my final visit. He clipped off the granulation tissue (after saying, "get me the aligator forceps and the long scissors"-sounded creepy) and then cauterized the area. He was certain it wasn't the last vestige of the fistula, but just wanted to wait and let me keep healing.

As far as I know I am now officially OFF THE FISTULA ROAD!!!

Hope the road is completely empty of all the fistulas soon!!

Thanks for all the love and support.

MaryJulia
Unread 01-27-2003, 06:03 PM

Woo-hoo Mary Julia that's great news! I'm so glad when I hear of a sister finally finding her way off the Road... but I hope you'll still be around to help some of the newbies find there way too! Did you remember to leave them a trail of bread crumbs?
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-27-2003, 08:53 PM

YEAH! Mary Julia! Glad you got cleared for the road to normal! I can't wait to join you!

Stay in touch!
Love, Louise
Unread 01-28-2003, 07:13 AM

Congratulations Mary Julia,
I hope I get good news from my uro today.
Terry
Unread 01-28-2003, 07:36 AM

What great news MaryJulia. It took me about 10 weeks before I felt almost nomal. I still get a bit tired now but am getting better every day.

Now ladies I am off to the airport to pick up Joce who is coming to visit me for a few days. We met on this website and have gone though a lot of pain together both physical and emotional. The next few days will be all fun stuff as we start another chapter of our lives. We will both check in Weds. night to see how everyone is doing.

As always my prayers are with you all,

Barbara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register