Thanks for the advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thanks for the advice Thanks for the advice

Unread 12-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the advice

I posted for the first time about a month ago. I have a fibroid that Dr. says is growing in the wall of the uterus. He discovered it 2 years ago and sent me for an u.s. which turned up a cyst on my left ovary as well. On his recommendation we did a u.s. every 3 months, then when the cyst (which he seemed more concerned about) didn't go away--we did laproscopic surgery to remove the ovary and tube. (cyst turned out to be quite large and consisted of thyroid tissue) We've been "watching" the fibroid ever since.

My Mom's Dr. discovered a fibroid when she went in because of post-menopausal bleeding and pain--had a hysterectomy--found a "few" cancer cells--sure they got it all--didn't recommend any further treatment--cancer came back with a vengence and we lost my Mother three months post op. (I know I can't dwell on it, but have to wonder if she had not been a Medicare patient if they would have been more aggressive about the cancer cells)

Anyway, (sorry this is so long) I asked several questions when I posted, worrying that my fibroid might also be cancerous, and because of your suggestions, am getting a refferal from my primary care and will be seeing an gyn-oncologist, even if only for my own peace of mind. (I have pretty much decided to go ahead with surgery as soon as school is out in June--I don't want to leave the thing in there as a place for cells to go awry)--

Any additional comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated--I have considered trying some "herbal-holistic" type remedies to try to shrink this thing--has anyone ever had any luck with that approach?

I'm also VERY intent on getting as healthy and fit as possible before surgery--any suggestions?? Thank you for being there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the advice

Well, the GYN oncologist may well be the way to go, especially given your family history. They have the training to do more extensive surgeries than do your "garden-variety" GYN and would also know what to do with your further care should any cancer be found.

What you may have is adenomyosis, which is where the endometrium infiltrates the muscular wall of the uterus...not cancerous, but curable only by hysterectomy. That's a question that would not be answered until the pathology report returns.

I cannot answer the question about your Mom, except to say that, if they didn't sample lymph nodes at the time of surgery, it's impossible to know if they indeed "got it all". This is where the oncologists are really essential...if cancer is found, they will be able to modify a surgery to sample and biopsy anything to make sure that everything really is removed...and then can discuss other treatment options with you. In my experience, Medicare patients sometimes actually get better treatment -- Medicare reimbursements are commonly better to the providers than Blue Cross/Blue Shield or any of the HMOs! I am so sorry to hear of your loss...but it sounds more like she went into surgery with someone who maybe didn't understand cancer in the way that the oncologist will.

And of course, I hope that they find no cancer with your surgery! As far as methods for "holistically" shrinking the fibroid, you can take a look at Options and Alternatives , and set the search at the bottom of the page to perhaps "last six months". Some women, I believe, have used Prometrium in an attempt to shrink fibroids...more often, however, Lupron is the recommended therapy, which of course is hardly "holistic" but is effective!

Good luck with this. You see the oncologist soon, I hope? Make sure that they are very aware of your mother's history...and I that history does not repeat itself...

Audrey
Unread 12-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the advice

s

I remember you and I am glad you stopped back!!!!!
Great news about that cyst. One worry gone.
I am also glad that you are going to see a gyn oncologist. This type doc can do much to relieve your worry about that fibroid in the meantime.
Let us know how that visit goes.
Best wishes to you.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2002, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the advice

Hi Keebler...

Yes, I too remember writing to you.
I am soo sorry to hear about your mom. Unfortunately, we can second guess ourselves a million times and still never come up with the right answer.

But on the brighter side, if ther is one right now for you, YOU are being watched carefully and being taken care of correctly. An oncologist gynocologist is the way to go.

As for the herbal concoctions, some people believe in them and some do not. A friend of my husbands believes totally in that stuff and has even written a book. As for me, i am not sure. After my chemo treatments, my oncologist sent me to a nutritionist to see what she had to say. I listened for her for about and hour and we spoke about healthy vs. unhealthy foods. Basically, the weight watchers diet, was the healthy foods. And i have done that many times. She did also suggest I take a 3 mushroom supplement. Again, I am torn.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register