Pain Meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Pain Meds

Hi, Sisters.

I will be making my visit to the castle on Jan. 6, for a LAVH with the possibility of converting to a TAH.

So far, I'm still pretty calm.

Two questions:

If anyone went in for an LAVH and ended up with a TAH, do you have two sets of incisions?

Also, did your doctors give you any sample of your pain meds to take home or simply write out the prescription for them?

I asking because I have some darvocet and vicodin painkillers left over from a foot injury a few months ago.

Thanks.

Polly Puff

***Admin. Note - Hystersisters does not endorse taking medication that has not been prescribed by your own doctor or was prescribed for previous injuries/illness.***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2002, 09:41 PM
no TAH here but...

they make a small puncture at the pubic line for a port for the lap instruments so if they have to convert to a TAH, I imagine they just enlarge that port to an full incision. Had two more punctures on either side of my belly about two inches down from the navel and one in the navel. Other portal incisions for the TVT and rectocele repair. Port incisions are about a half-inch in length, closed with staples and heal quickly.

Doc wrote a script which dh filled after we got home. Had surgery in another state and I wanted to fill it close to home. Used my leftovers from my back injury to tide me over until DH got the script filled. Shouldn't have bothered, had enough leftover for the hyster too. Maybe took 10 percocets once I got home from the castle. Good idea to have Aleve or Motrin at home too. An anti-inflammatory drug helps with pain control in so many ways. Some women do fine with vicodin and darvocet post op, I think they are pretty mild myself) but it seems the drug of choice is percocet.

TIP: take your pharmacy number with you and have the doc call it in so you don't have to wait. And for certain controlled drugs like percocet, if the script is a few days old, the pharmacy will not fill it in some states.

***Admin. Note - Hystersisters does not endorse taking medication that has not been prescribed by your own doctor or was prescribed for previous injuries/illness.***
Unread 12-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Pain Meds

Hi Polly!

If they have started the LAVH and switch to the TVH you will probably have some additional incisions. When I had my surgery the doctor gave me a pain pill to take before I left the hospital and a written script that my DH filled on the way home. It is not recommended that you take medications that were prescribed for previous illnesses or injuries. You risk the possibility of drug interactions and many drugs have a short "shelf life" and my not be as effective over time. I hope your surger goes well. Let us know how you are doing when you get home from the hospital. Take care.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2002, 10:12 PM
Pain Meds

Hi, Sisters.

I'll can the idea of using old meds.

I wanted to ask just in case. Thatnks for the tips for getting the doctor to call the prescriptions in before I leave the hospital.

Thanks for the quick response.

Polly Puff.
Unread 12-29-2002, 10:28 PM
omitted information

My doc saw the script of leftover I had was less than 30 days old and approved their use. Took them to the castle, he eyeballed the bottle, verified the contents and said to save money where I could. Didn't matter to him if the percocet was prescribed for a back injury, it was the drug he also wanted me to take. He also knew I had a 2.5 hour car ride home and wouldn't get meds filled until I returned home. For certain narcotics, have to present the script at the pharmacy where it will be filled and you can't transfer scripts over state lines. Doc and I have done four surgeries together and we know the drill. Very stupid to fill a script at a pharmacy in another state in these circumstances.

I also had a weaker narcotic that he wrote the script for three days before surgery, that was also approved, verified and not wasted.

I have a doc willing to make exceptions and he endorsed this plan of action. Follow the advice of your own doc.
Unread 12-30-2002, 07:07 AM
Pain Meds

Hi Polly,

re the pain meds. My doc gave me a prescription for 30 Percocet, but warned me to fill it in the state where I had my surgery. I could not have filled it in New York state, where I live, not sure why.

So we filled it right there at the hospital pharmacy, b ut I never had to take them at all.

hope all goes well with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register