endo polyp= hysteroscopy, D&C | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endo polyp= hysteroscopy, D&C endo polyp= hysteroscopy, D&C

Unread 08-05-2000, 08:50 PM
endo polyp= hysteroscopy, D&C

Hi Ladies,

After several weeks being away and waiting for my gyn visit, I learned last week week from my doctor that an endometrial polyp is the cause for my irregular cycles and constant bleeding, and pain in stomach and lower back.

He has scheduled a hysteroscopy and D&C for Sept. 8. He thinks the hysteroscopy will help relieve my symptoms. But I also have crohn's disease and am taking prednisone. He has discussed hysterectomy, but he is reluctant to do it at this point: he wants to see if the D&C will work and he doesn't want to do surgery while I'm on prednisone.

Anyway, he says the hysteroscopy is just an outpatient procedure and that I will just have pains like period cramps. Has anyone else out there had an outpatient hysteroscopy and D&C to remove an endo polyp? He did say that sometimes the procedure is done in the office with local anesthesia but he will give me a general anesthesia. I'm wondering about the recovery time. My procedure is scheduled for a Friday and I was wondering about going back to work on the Monday.

Thanks for any advice.....

hysteroscopy, D&C 9/8/00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2000, 09:32 PM

While the purpose of my D&C & hysteroscopy was not to remove a polyp, my doctor did remove one during the procedure. You definitely want to have this done as an outpatient in the hospital -- not in the doctor's office. Just so you know, in a the hysteroscopy, the doctor is able to see the surfaces of the uterus. He can just snip the polyp once it is seen. The neat thing is to ask the doctor to see pictures at your follow-up -- okay, so I always wanted to know what my room was like before birth, LOL.

As far as pain, cramping is the correct term and mine only lasted that one day. Just tell the nurse and she'll give you some strong motrin or advil. Also, since you will have some bleeding, if you don't like hospital diapers, take a sticky pad with you. No tampons and no sex for about a week afterward.

Hope this information helps.
Unread 08-06-2000, 09:20 PM

Thanks it does help! Appreciate the info.

Allicat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2000, 09:04 AM

Hi,
I had both a D&C & hysteroscopy about 6 weeks ago... not to remove a polyp, but for "diagnosis and therapy". I had no pain whatsoever afterwards, very minor spotting for the remainder of the month, and an unusually light period that month. Mine was outpatient hospital at 1:00pm. I took the next day off of work just to be safe and also not to drive (because of anesethesia). I felt absolutely fine almost immediately.
Good luck!!
Unread 08-07-2000, 11:46 AM

I had the same procedure except it was done on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia. I had 2 large polyps and several small ones removed. I took the next day off work, but could have gone to work. There was no pain to speak of, but I did bleed for about a week afterwards. It wasn't heavy, but more like a normal period. Good luck.
Unread 08-07-2000, 10:09 PM

I really appreciate you guys so much! Thanks for the reassurance!

Allicat
Unread 08-09-2000, 02:17 PM

I had a hysteroscopy and d&c last Wednesday (IV sedation) to take out a polyp and look at some fibroids that were there as well. I felt fine afterwards and even wanted to exercise that night (I didn't though!) - I was hurting more than that before the procedure on a regular basis! I stayed home just because my doc said to on Thursday and then went back to work on Friday. Well, Friday was another story - I started bleeding badly and that continued until Sunday. The last few days have been far worse because I FEEL washed out. So, I guess the answer to your question is, it depends. I've still been at work all this week, but I've felt way less than 100% - and sometimes way less than 50%. I'm still hurting and its probably more from my fibroids than the polyp unfortunately - plan B is next I suppose.
Unread 08-13-2000, 05:39 AM
Hysterescopy, D&C and Now Ovarian Cysts

I am also scheduled for D&C/Hysterscopy on September 20. I
have had 3 surgeries for endometriosis which included a bowe resection. I have bleeding during the week before my period when having a bowel movement. My doctor saw a cervical polyp and then it disappeared. He wanted to schedule this procedure. Then right after being examined, I starting having pain in my left side. I noticed some tenderness when I was being examined but stupidly did not tell the doctor. The pain got worse and then the doctor recommended an ultrasound. I have not officially spoken with the doctor (on vacation last week) but the nurse filled me in a little. Said I had multiple fibroid and a complex cyst on my left ovary. She said this kind usually needs to be treated surgically. Now this whole procedure can change. I am at my witsend right now and seriously thinking of a hysterectomy. I don't know what to do. I'm so emotional right now. I'm tired of going through this. I'm scared about the repercussions of the surgery - romance, etc. I don't know what to do. I want my life back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register