swelly belly...how long??!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swelly belly...how long??!! swelly belly...how long??!!

Unread 12-30-2002, 05:31 PM
swelly belly...how long??!!

Hi sisters,

I am 3 1/2 months post-op and still have problems with my stomach swelling in late afternoon/evening. How long is this going to last? I figured it would be more normal by now.

Also, am still having a fair amount of pain...my doctor said to expect pain for up to six months or so...any advice?

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2002, 06:42 PM

Hi Deb. I had abdominal swelling in the evenings for about 6 months...especially if I was on my feet a lot during the day...sat too long at computer and or bent over picking things up too often. Seemed the more I did the more swelling I'd have. I continued to rest with my feet propped up every evening...and took some ibuprofen for inflammation. Of course my heating pad helped a lot. Think I wore it out

It's different for everyone though...however, I didn't have a lot of pain at 3 1/2 months. I did have twinges of pain but it wasn't constant...unless of course I over did it What's your activity level during the day???
Unread 12-30-2002, 07:00 PM

I know what you mean about the swelling. My doctor told me it could take over 6 months for the swelling to go away. The past two days I have been really active and now look 3 months pregnant...which I think is quite cruel! I am almost 3 months postop and can't wait for this to be put behind me. I also can't wait to fit into my old clothes comfortably without any swelling!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2002, 07:09 PM
hey girls..

I've come back to this board tonight because I've been feeling the swelly belly, and some twinges of pain again after approx. 12 weeks from surgery. Even a tiny bit of bleeding again! I just went back to work last week, and I guess I thought that ok, now I'm back to "normal", and I know I've been doing too much. Just a little discouraged right now. Needed to come back to the girls here. I see a lot of us are feeling the same things. That's a little comforting to know this is normal.

Here's to a healthy and pain free new year!!! yahoo!
Kathy
Unread 12-30-2002, 10:27 PM

Hi Deb,
I am only one month post TAH and swollen belly like six months pregnant. I thought by now I should be getting over this but from your post and that of other sisters, I see that I have a bit more time to wait. It is good to know as I was starting to get discouraged with my body, and how I am feeling. I would hate to have an issue with my body, more than being scared, before I even have a chance to try to go back to having a normal sex life. Glad to know"it too shall pass"! Thanks for sharing

dove
Unread 12-31-2002, 07:53 AM
No more Swelly belly

Hi sisters

I am 5 months post op from SAH. Finally no more swelly belly! It seemed as though it would never go away. I am very active, I work out alot and the more time I spent at the gym, the more my belly swelled! Then one day I noticed that it was gone...has been for at least 3 weeks now. What a relief : I can wear my tight jeans again..all day! No more twinges and pulls, which I had up until a few weeks ago. I am on my way, hang in there..wishing all my sisters a pain free and swelly belly free new year!

Terri
Unread 12-31-2002, 08:03 AM
Might just be me...

but I think it's possible that so many posts about "I guess I over did it" might be related to our need just to forge our way through the holidays, keeping everything for everyone just about the same as it was last year! After my son went back to his apartment, I slept for two days!

Now my goal is to lose that 5 pounds I've picked up since the surgery!

Blessings of peace, health, strength, and love for the New Year,

Rose*
Unread 12-31-2002, 11:42 AM

I'm glad I stumbled on this post!! Count me in as a swelly belly sufferer! I will be 3 months post op next Tuesday....and it's still there! I hate it! I also still have pain which feels like menstrual cramps every day. I fired my surgeon so we won't discuss his thoughts on this, I am waiting to see what my new doc will say this Saturday when I go for a 2nd opinion on my recovery. I will say my current surgeon said I should have NO pain or swelling past 6 weeks. Hmmmm. But guess what? My twin sister has to have a laprascopy in Nashville by the same surgeon I used when I was living there. He remembers me....she mentioned my post op problems to him. This surgeon told my sister to tell me that this is perfectly NORMAL in some women, especially with a TAH for prolapsed uteris. It was nice to have a doctor validate my discomfort! I'll go for a 2nd opinion on my recovery regardless, but I really think this just takes a LONG time for some of us. Hang in there!!!!! Happy New Year!
Unread 01-16-2003, 09:09 PM

Im so glade to have you guys it makes me feel like im not a big baby, i to have the swelly belly !!!and thought i was just crazy its been 4 months now and i still feel swollen my husband tells me its in my head, nope i said its in my tummy! thanks u guys hugs and hope we have a grate pain free year!!!!
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:48 AM
I have it Too

I'm so glad for this site because I really felt I was in this alone with this stomach that makes me look 4 month pregnant. It is a bit less on some days but for the most of them it is swelled up.
I've had 2 classes of Pilatus to see if it wud help to tone something and the stomach comes up swelled up. Don't know if I shud stop.
It's been 4 months since the 27th of Aug where I had a TAH, 15 fibroids removed + enlarged uterus and took cervix out as well.
I was reading on how it came back after 5 months, maybe it will happen to Me???????????!!!!
This is depressing, I have to go south - Bahamas in March late and don't know what to wear with all the slim women from DH office.
Can anything make it go back in!! LOL

p'tite Mine
wish I was (means little in french)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register