Period before Surgery ! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period before Surgery ! Period before Surgery !

Unread 12-30-2002, 09:45 PM
Period before Surgery !

Hi Sisters.

Guess what showed up bright and early this morning ?

My period ! Just in time for my surgery on Jan 6. This is just great .

Ladies did any of you go into surgery bleeding like a stuck pig? I know me and my cycle it's going to be ugly on the morning of surgery. My periods usually last about two and a half weeks.

I did ask my DR during my pre-op if she would do the surgery if I was on my period and she said yes.

I'm cramping like crazy. Since I'm so close to surgery, meds are out of the question. The only thing my Dr is letting me take are my iron supplements, Vitamin C, and a multi-vitamin.

My stomach, legs and back are killing me . Talk about going out with a bang. I guess my uterus wants to show my who's the boss.

just hope I don't become too anemic for the surgery. I'm calling the doctor's office in the morning to let them know that Niagra Falls isn't going away quietly.

Does anyone have any advice?

Take Care everone !

Polly Puff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Polly gets a cracker!!!

Polly, I'm so sorry you're having the surprise of your life. I'm coming up on my hysterversary 1/14/03!! TAH/BSO. I had my period for 45 consecutive days before my op. Yes, call your doc and she what the outcome is. My understanding is that this is a normal phenomenon. I think it's called "one last chance to get back at you syndrome". Best wishes and, I, too, was anemic. Please let us know how you are, ok?
Unread 12-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Period before Surgery !

Polly. I started my LAST period 3 days before surgery. It wasn't a problem however, like you I had cramps etc. I used heating pad...that helped some. Just think...a few more days and you'll be on the road to recovery. Hope you feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2002, 06:03 AM
Period before Surgery !

((((Polly Puff))))
I've heard from many ladies that Aunti Flo came by to pay her last visit just as surgery date came. Good ole Dr will stop the bleeding with the hyst. Until then, aside from the heating pad as has already been suggested, one thing I used to do that helped is lie on the floor with my lower legs up on the sofa and just rest. Or you could prop them up on pillows in the bed or sofa. (Just don't have any pressure behind the knees so you won't cut off blood flow to the lower legs.) Also, drinking coffee or something else warm helped me. Hope you feel better!
s,
Pam
Unread 12-31-2002, 09:51 AM
Period before Surgery !

I'm having my last one too, started on Sunday and surgery is next Wednesday - it is a doozy too!!!!!!!! I ate a bunch of spinach with dinner last night, sounds crazy but my hyster buddy that I've been emailing back and forth too for a couple months (she had her surgery right before Thanksgiving) gave me the idea. Keep that iron pumped up!! I'm trying to rest, relax and eat good. I tend to lose my appetite when Aunt Flo is here, and am forcing myself to eat 3 squares to keep from getting run down. Definately don't want to catch a cold right before either!! I got a GIANT orange juice this morning, and wouldn't recommend that...........now if I'm not going to the bathroom to change a plug I'm going for other reasons!!! (Thinking of moving my desk in there!!)
Unread 12-31-2002, 11:10 AM
Period before Surgery !

Hi,

The immediate pre-operative period is also a time to pay careful attention to your diet. Keep up your intake of fruits and vegetables, although the immediate week before surgery is a good time to lay off the dark green leafy vegetables, such as chard, spinach, or broccoli. These vegetables are rich sources of vitamin K which can impair blood clotting times. It's also a good time to cut back on sugar (which can help you avoid yeast infection with postoperative antibiotics), alcohol, fatty foods, and caffeine. This is hard to do for those of us who eat when we're nervous!

And also check out this link: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...php?forumid=23

Best wishes!
Unread 12-31-2002, 05:12 PM
PERIOD BEFORE SURGERY

HELLO I CAN COMMISERATE BECAUSE DEAR OL AUNT FLO SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE BRIGHT AND EARLY THIS MORNING. MY SURGERY IS FRIDAY!!! I HAD BEEN CRAMPING FOR A FEW DAYS BUT THOUGHT THERE IS NO WAY I COULD BE GETTING IT AGAIN. AS IF BLEEDING FOR TWELVE DAYS THREE WEEKS AGO WASN'T ENOUGH. MOTHER NATURE SURE HAS A SICK SENSE OF HUMOR. I JUST THANK GOD THAT I DIDN'T HAVE THE "FEMININE PRODUCT BURNING PARTY " I HAD PLANNED AFTER THE LAST TIME. WHICH I THOUGHT WAS THE LAST TIME!!!! SO YOU SEE YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I HAD MY PRE-OP TODAY AND ASKED DOC IF HE WOULD STILL DO THE SURGERY IF I WAS BLEEDING AND HE SAID HELL YES. WHAT'S A LITTLE MORE BLOOD. THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO WITH YOU ON YOUR CASTLE DAY
Unread 12-31-2002, 08:19 PM
Period before Surgery !

Aunt Flo showed up at my door 3 days before surgery too, a whole week early! So what I thought was my "last" period really wasn't! What a let down!

So the ol' gal went with me to the OR. Unfortunately (for her) she didn't make it off the operating table.

If you'll let the nurses who prep you know that you're on your period, they'll give you a pad and perhaps a pair of the mesh panties that can just be cut off in the OR. And don't be embarrassed - they're used to it!

s,

Lisa
Unread 01-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Period before Surgery !

Happy New Year, Ladies.

Thanks for the sharing your last period and period before surgery experiences.

I have n another question.

I called my doctor's office on Tuesday and they said, the surgery was definitely on. But I didn't ask if they would still do the LAVH or switch over to the TAH.

Has anyone ever had an LAVH done while on their period?

Thanks.

Polly Puff

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register