1 week post-op TAH, what do I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post-op TAH, what do I expect? 1 week post-op TAH, what do I expect?

Unread 12-31-2002, 05:48 AM
1 week post-op TAH, what do I expect?

I finally got the nerve to register today. I have been reading your info for over a week. Had TAH 12/24/02. Yeah, Merry Christmas. I go DR 1/2/03 and hopefully will find out about biopsies (sp). Had fibroids and largest one was pressing on my bladder and lower back. Dr told me that one of my ovaries had cysts that he wasn't even aware of. What questions should I be sure to ask on Thursday? I am a little afraid of possible cancer, should I be with fibroids? I am lucky, I only had 1 week to wait after deciding to have my TAH, but it still was scarey. I was diagnosed with severe anemia a couple months ago and then discovered a couple weeks ago that I had helico bactera pylori (a bacteria infection in stomach) and was told between that and bleeding with my periods, that is why anemic. I look forward to the New Year and a better year for sure. Any helpful insights and information would be appreciated. I have a wonderful dh (live in boyfriend), who has been great. I call him the "warden".

Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2002, 06:09 AM

Barb!

Welcome to HysterSisters!

You may want to start a list of questions so you won't forget any while you're at your post-op appointment. My first questions were when I could resume certain activities and how often I would need to be seen from now on. I also asked for a copy of my surgical and pathological reports (2 separate kinds of reports).

Normally, fibroids are not cancerous. But still ask about yours and especially ask about the cysts on the ovaries. There are kinds that are cancerous and kinds that aren't. But now that you've had them removed anyway, I'm sure that's a relief not to have to worry about ovarian cancer.

I used to get anemic often prior to my hyst, but getting rid of the source (adenomyosis causing too much blood loss) has fixed that problem. H. pylori is usually the main cause of stomach ulcers. Did the dr say if you had one and if there was any bleeding from it? Anyway, medication can get rid of that organism.

Let us know how it goes.

s,
Pam
Unread 12-31-2002, 06:15 AM

Barb. I'm glad you registered with us. I had fibroid on uterus also...it was not cancerous. They were worried about cysts on my ovaries though (which were removed) but they weren't cancerous either. I was sure worried about that so know what you're going through. The wait is hard...and of course I always think the worst. Don't know why I do that

That's great that you've got good help. My dh was wonderful. I layed around like a good girl...walked some (not for exercise - just around the house)...drank LOTS of water...watched a LOT of TV, slept and came here for comfort and smiles.

Don't sit at your computer too long the first few weeks...I found out the hard way. The first week I'd sit at computer for 15 - 20 minutes a time...that was all I could take..then layed down for awhile. My dh would knock on the window if he was outside to get me off computer. So, I had a "warden" too.

Take care of yourself. Glad you registered...welcome to the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2003, 04:17 PM
1 week post-op TAH,what do I expect?

Hi!! When I had mine,I knew what might happen afterward,by reading all the posts here. I registered a couple of months before my TAH,in July,2001. Like you,I had fibroids,and they made me very tired once they started growing bigger,and pressing on my bladder,making me have to "go" more often than I would normally. I also had Stage 3 cervical dysplasia in November,2000,which led to two LEEP's,and then... relief in the form of the hyst. I kept my ovaries,but in the fall of '02,the right ovary was failing-two cysts,one complex,one simple,encapsulated the ovary,and it had to come out!! So,rather than leave one in,I had both ovaries out on 11/19/02,and have been doing great on my estrogen patch!!!! From experience,I can tell you that the first two weeks post-op are best spent on the couch,and relaxing,or sleeping. Do some walking,to help build up your strength,but no lifting or other activities that will remain off-limits for the first 6 weeks,like sex!!! Cuddling is probably ok,as far as that goes,but no penetration!!!! Even with an abdominal hyst,you're still cut up there,where the uterus and cervix are cut,and the top of the vagina is sewn up!!!! Also may find yourself either brain-fogged and/or running a slight temp due to the anesthesia. Antibiotics may also have you feeling "gooey' from a yeast infection. I got one,both times,a few weeks AFTER the antibiotics were done!!!! I didn't have to take any outside the castle,THIS time,but last year,I went home with Cipro,for a UTI. Nasty!! After a few days home from the TAH,I felt really peppy. I was up and around,all day,hardly needed a nap. This time,with the BSO,I did more napping!!!! You would hurt more if you had a complete the first time. Those ovaries do hurt once they're out,too!!! Well,since the weather was so yucky,I knew I wasn't going anywhere,today. I prepared dinner last night,and sat on the sofa all day!!!!! I am getting in some relaxation stores for when I go back to work,next week!!!!! I'll be 7 weeks on 1/71/03!!! Good luck,and have a great recovery!!!!!!
Unread 01-05-2003, 08:06 AM

Hey. I'm 3 1/2 weeks post-op, and can finally say I feel almost normal again. Like you, I had major fibroids, and a cyst on one ovary which was drained. Week 2 was hard - lots of painful twinges, fatigue. Week 3 was hard, because by that time you think you should feel better, but you don't, and it's upsetting. But wait just a few days longer, and you can suddenly feel good! However, I know I did things I shouldn't, because I am a controlling neat freak - I snuck around behind my husband's back sweeping, mopping and vacuuming which are NO-NO's, don't do them!! When I finally gave in and started doing nothing, I felt a thousand times better. So be a princess and let others wait on you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register