Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 01-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

GUESS WHAT?!?!?!

Something told me to check my transcript online today......I actually had a dream last night about my classes and how the heck I could drop down to a B+ in my classes. Well, I think that's what gave me the idea to check my transcript......welllllllll....... my chemistry grade was changed from a B+ to an A-!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure why. My teacher must have miscalculated. I knew I couldn't have dropped that low! I had an A- the day of the final and I turned in an extra credit assignment that day, so I couldn't figure it out!

I still think I deserve an A in speech too, but I am so happy to have the A- in chemistry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Woohoo pasdechat! Congrats!
Unread 01-15-2004, 07:33 AM
School after 30

I am 33 years old and have been attending college for 2 years this summer. I went back to school in the summer of 2002 as a nursing major. In the fall of 2002 I changed my major to History, because I love it. Then, in summer of 2003 I changed my major to Education. I have decided to teach Integrated Social Studies at the Adolescent to Young Adult Level. I will be certified to teach grades 7-12 or ages 14-21.

Sometimes it takes awhile for a person to find their proper place. I found mine by doing what I really felt right with. I started in nursing knowing math and science are not my best subjects. History has been my passion for years, so I changed my major. Then I had to figure out what to do with a BA in History. I thought about going on to get my MA and PhD and teaching at the college level, but that just seemed to long. So I decided to go into the education program and teach History at the high school level.

I go to a private college in my area, where tution is higher but I feel the education is better. I looked into going to a public college and jus felt that it would be wrong for me. The school I now attend caters to non-tradtional students. There are traditional students and I find it interesting to talk to them. Everything is so hard to them.

I think going back at an older age is more benefical then going when your younger because you have more of a reason for going. Not just because your expected to but because you want to.

My grades so far have been all A's and B's except this past semester I got 2 C's, one was in math so I wasn't suprised.

Keep up the good work ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2004, 01:56 PM

It's the beginning of spring term.......what are you all taking this term? I am taking English. I couldn't get into chemistry AGAIN, because it filled up too fast. So I figured I'll get my english done and over with! It's a 3 hour block class every Friday......not my idea of fun, but afterwards, my husband and I will be taking a tango class with some friends. That will be something to look forward to. I did really well in my last English class, so I expect to do as well this time. Writing is just not something I really enjoy doing. But, I go into every class with an open mind and I know I will learn alot! This makes me one more class closer to becoming an RN!!! That's what I keep focusing on!
Unread 03-31-2004, 06:26 PM

I went to college and got married. I continued in school even when I was nursing my darling daughter. I graduated when she was 18 months old. I did not get a job. I had 3 more little cherbs. I took some Community College Classes while they were little.

Fast forward, I thought I should do something. I had been a stay at home Mom. My kids were growing up and all would leave home soon, and even one had died. I decided to get a Graduate Degree in Education. I went to investigate a local 4 year school, and a local state school and decided to go to the local Rockford College. I could still do my motherly stuff and make it to school. I cried after every class the first semester. (I ended up being what my husband calls a curve breaker.) I loved school. I got my degree and slowly I got the courage to get a teaching job as my last daughter went to college. I was 43. My daughter graduated HS, My DH and I graduated with Graduate Degrees.

(My husband went back to school too for his Masters in Accounting and his CPA. At one time we had 4 people in college. )

This year is my tenth year teaching reading. My DH has become the working househusband, and now just the retired Dh who rides his bike every sunny day over 45 degrees and takes care of the house, laundry, shopping, etc. I laugh that during the summer he drops me at home when he goes to shop for food. I impause buy.

Bookfairy
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:41 PM

I'm taking just the organic chemistry this semester. With the two mornings of lab that go with it, that was about as much as I could stand to be out of the office.

I'll do the second semester of biology in the fall along with Physics which, though still time-consuming, possibly won't make my brain hurt the way O-chem does.

Knock wood

Best of luck to us all!
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:59 PM

I started college in the traditional pattern - straight out of high school. That lasted for 1 1/2 years. Then I decided to drop out and get a full time bank job. Eventually I decided to take night classes (the bank reimbursed if the grades were B's or better). This lasted until I was a senior, and 26 & pregnant with 1st DS. When youngest DS entered kindergarten, I re-entered college ~ at the age of 36. Of course, some of my classes from my first go didn't count toward my current degree plan. (I had originally planned to get a degree in genetics, and changed to Business after getting the bank job.) I have been taking one, two or three classes each semester since then. I am now 44, have 4 classes left, and expect to graduate next May (2005) with my degree. WooHoo!

Alos, my best friend from high school went straight to college from high school and stayed until she had an MBA in Business. She worked in that field for years. In her mid-thirties she decided she didn't like it anymore, quit and enrolled full-time in college to get a degree in Occupational Thereapy! She graduated a few years ago, and has loved it.
Unread 04-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Graduate classes

Way to go to all of you fellow 'sisters' in continuing or even just stating your higher education... I believe it's never to late.

I have one month left in my second semester of Grad classes (working towards a Masters in Information Technology - so far carrying a 4.0) -- I'm doing all onLine as I work full time as well (and have three kids - whew...)

This month I have four papers, a case study and two finals due -- and the family and I are going to Orlando for a week (next week) and then I have to go to Rhode Island for work for a week at the end of the month... and I thought having a hyst was stressful!

It's been 13 months since my trip to the castle and I'm feeling great - went on the estrogen patch about 4 months ago and life is good (my kids told me they like the patch as I am no longer resembling a teen going through puberty... haha)

Anyway - best of luck to you all!

Kelly
Unread 04-07-2004, 11:54 AM
going back to school in your 30's......

I too went back to school in my thirties. First I graduated from LPN school with a certificate, then worked about a year before returning to college. I graduated with a very high GPA , and an associates degree in nursing (RN). Sometimes I regret the way I did it, althought the LPN experience was worthwhile, the only reason I did it was that I had no confidence in myself, and thought I would not be able to succeed in the RN program. Actually I could have had a BS for the time I spent in school. I have dabbled in all kinds of nursing, from ER to Long-term care, to Cardiac Step-down, Chest Pain Center, now working in Coronary Care Unit. I have enjoyed all of these jobs and learned so much from each one. I would encourage you to jump right in ... follow your dream. There is always room for another caring heart in the nursing profession.
Unread 06-16-2004, 11:04 PM

Well, here it is, June 16th, and I just finished up spring term. I took English this term and got an A!!! I'm very happy about that! I will take the summer off and go back in the fall to take chemistry.

How are the rest of you doing in school???

Hey, I'm coming up on my 2 year hysterversary! I can't believe it's been that long!

I hope everyone is doing well in school.....keep reaching for your dreams!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register