Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 09-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

My mother was a teacher for 22 years and the profession needs people who want to teach! In the US there are student loan repayment programs for teachers willing to teach in underserved areas; I don' t know if there's anything similar in your area.

I can't believe Australian hospital nurses spend just two days on each shift! Are they trying to kill you? And the patients? I can't imagine how you get any sleep at all with such a discruptive cycle.

If you got through nursing school, you can get through the teaching degree. You might want to talk to some teachers and even spend a day or more observing a teacher in action before you commit. You'll either be dying to do it or willing to take some time to think more carefully. But then go and live your dreams! One of the best definitions of happiness I've ever heard is working long, hard hours at something you love.

Go and be happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2004, 07:26 AM

Thank you Denise. WHEN I go back to school (not "if") I will be thinking about you. You will represent all the strong, smart, hardworking women who share their stories on this thread and I will think of you at enrollment, when I walk back into my first class and best of all,when I get that degree. Oh yes, and when I walk into my classroom.

Yes, I think the nursing system is trying to kill people with rotating shifts. The schedule I related to you is true but maybe not as bad as I make it sound because I only work two shifts per week now. I work two weeks of night shift out of six or eight (depending on if its flu season). The other 4-6 weeks we rotate days and evenings. Its entirely possible to end up working all three shifts in a calendar week. And they have something called a "quick shift". That means I might work an evening one day and a day shift the next. Get off at 11pm, home by 11:30, back at work for a 7am start. It was torture when I was pregnant and working full time. Don't like it much now either because I don't see my kids for over 24 hours and that's hard for a 3 year old and one year old to understand.

So how does a person find childcare for all days of the week and all shifts of the day? Impossible. That's why I don't want to do it anymore.

Thanks again for sharing your story. You make a difference.
Unread 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Ziggy. Actually, I'll face similar schedules (or worse) in residency. (sigh). I guess people manage somehow. I wish you all the best on your journey. Like all good goals, it will take a long time, to try to enjoy every step!

Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2004, 08:24 PM

Ziggy........good job to you for making the decision to go back to school. I too am making a career change.........I used to be a professional ballet dancer and now I teach ballet. I love it, but I have thought about being a nurse for several years and I am so excited about this new chapter in my life. I also have young children. Mine are 8,6,4 & 4. When I first started this thread, my twins were only 3. I originally was going to wait until they were in school to go back to school myself, but I decided that was too far off. I figured I could take one or two classes at a time and then by the time they are in school I would have all my requirements done and will be ready for the nursing program. The timing will be perfect!

It's tough juggling school, work, family.......but it's so worth it!

Good luck to everyone
Unread 12-22-2004, 12:02 AM

Well, how did Fall '04 term go? I took chemistry and did very well! I got an A in the class and I managed to get a 90% on the national chemistry final:dance2:

Now, I just wait to get into the anatomy and physiology classes. The classes fill up so quickly and it's so hard to get into. In the meantime, I am going to take psychology and PE winter term and hopefully I will get in to A&P Spring term.

How's everyone else doing?????
Unread 12-22-2004, 04:53 AM

Hi,

I went back to school at 36. My DH and I owned a store and I got introduced to the world of computers. I deceided to go back and complete my degree in computer engineering. I was scared and did not know if I could do it. It was hard and alot of work. I did have to leave 1 semester before graduation in order to wrok, but that was also because I was offered a great postion as an Information System Manager and I will be finishing school whild I work. I was going back in January part-time, but my upcoming surgery but the hammer down on that. It is never to late to pursue you dreams.
Unread 12-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Yay! Fall term is over!

The term went great! I took Physics and the second semester of Biology and kept my happy grade point average (I was checking my biology grade often, since I was a little dependent on the curve to save me). One more semester of Physics and I take the MCAT and start applying to med schools.
Unread 12-22-2004, 08:00 AM

I went back to school when I was 29 and finished when I was 32. I had a young baby at home and was a new single mother. I went to nursing school to become an RN. I had always wanted to be a nurse but was scared when I got outof HS that I wasn't smart enough, so I came close to a degree in Accounting. I was one year from graduating and decided to quit school and work.
I am so glad I went back when I did, I truly appreciated school and worked hard because I wanted to, not because I had to. When I started school the average age in my class was 33, so I wasn't the only one...LOL
Way to go!
Unread 12-22-2004, 04:29 PM

Well, took Inorganic Chemisty, and 2 nursing classes. After having my RN for almost 10 yrs.... I will be grad in April with my BSN. I kept my GPA up at 3.75 this semester with working full time as well.....

It can be done!!
Unread 12-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Wow! Congratulations!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register