Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 04-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

Quote:
Originally posted by Kim M
Denise,
Good luck! I know you'll do great!

My graduation ceremony is in 3 weeks. I have purchased my cap and gown and have already received the diploma. I bought a special frame for it and am looking for that special place to hang it. I still can't believe that I am really finished!
Kim,
I have never known what you were going to school for? Congrads on it being over...I know all too well what a wonderful feeling that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2005, 05:15 PM

WOW! The graduations are busting out all over! Who else?
Unread 04-15-2005, 06:17 PM

I also was married before graduating high school at 17. I have now had 4 children and I have decided to go to school for my RN. I would love to work in labor & delivery. I was supposed to start classes on May 11 for my pre req's. I have to put that off now as my hyst. is on May 4.
I am excited and nervous about going to school at 32, putting the little ones in daycare, money, etc.., but it's something that I want to do for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Toylady, I am just a little older than you(33) and I have 4 children....I might have said that in my original post. I started this thread about 2 1/2 years ago and I can't believe how much time has passed since I started school. I am loving every second of it(well, almost every second!) It is challenging with 4 young kids, but it is possible. It's taking me longer than I would have liked it to get my pre req's out of the way, but I am determined to make it happen. Go for it!

I love hearing about everyone's experiences, so keep this thread going
Unread 04-15-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toylady
I have decided to go to school for my RN. I am excited and nervous about going to school at 32,
(((toylady)))

I am an RN and I am glad to hear that you are wanting to join the profession. We need a lot more. I graduated with my RN when I was 33 and a single mother..you will find that you are about the average age in your class. We had one lady that was 62...she was an inspiration to everyone. I would love to go back to school. I would like to take some non-nursing classes in addition to a legal nurse consultant program...but can't right now. I love school---and the reason I would like to take non-nursing courses is because I love to learn new things. I was always the one on the floor that signed up for all the little inservices and day classes. Love it! I could enjoy being a professional student.
Study hard and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.
Unread 04-16-2005, 07:39 AM

Helllo all my fellow students and sisters,
I am officially a university chick, and have my student loans in place. It took a few days for me to believe I am accepted and everything is a go ahead!! I spoke to an academic advisor yesterday and I get to do one whole year of anything I want....hehe I have 7 courses to just learn away at. Now ask me if I know what courses I want!! There are 2 for sure coures I need, which are social work intros. So, now i have to figure out what really thrills me, but will be easy enough to get started on. I already have englishes, sociology, computers, child and youth care, and psychology. I thought about philosophy but had to really tell myself no, too much brain power right off the bat....I guess I wll wait and see what the distance ed program offers this summer and go from there....

I am so excited, yet getting very nervous and afraid....

Hugs
Kat
Unread 04-16-2005, 09:49 AM

I had to add my two cents worth to the discussion here because I have achieved one of my dreams to get a college degree. I went to college after high school but married before finishing. It didn't even cross my mind to finish as I was happily fulfilled with my marriage and motherhood. Then in 1995 (I was 37) I began a career in law enforcement and one of the benefits was tuition reimbursement. My employer had a partnership set up with one of the colleges here for an accelerated degreed distance learning management program so I got my BS in management. I liked school and distance learning so much I decided to just continue on. I got a MS in Criminology from Florida STate University through distance learning and this month I graduate with a second MS in Instructional Systems from FSU. I have been in school for 5 years straight plus working full time and having my family to take care of. Also last year while continuing with my schooling I went through a 3 month Criminal Justice military style Academy in order to get certified law enforcement.

Now I am trying to decide if it is worth it to pursue a PhD or just stop here! I too wanted to be a nurse but law enforcement found me instead. I think I am too old to start a brand new career in nursing (I am 46 now) so will probably just build on my law enforcement career or slide into teaching.
Unread 04-16-2005, 11:19 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for all of the encouragement. My neighbor who is a RN has offered to help me with everything in school if I need it. Everyone in my family is very supportive of me going to school. I will be attending the community college in Daytona Beach, I can't wait to start. I hate having to put it on hold until the end of June but surgery comes first.
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Well everyone......I am out of school for the summer and then I go back in the fall and I finally made it into the science classes I need! I am registered for anatomy and physiology, microbiology and algebra.......yikes! That's going to be alot! I am on the waiting list for nutrition, but I'm #9 on the list and don't know if I'll make it in. If I do, I'm going to drop micro because it doesn't work very well with my schedule and I have been warned not to take A&P and micro at the same time. Either way, I will have a tough fall term as I have four kids and work, but I figure I will push myself really hard for one term and then I should only have to take A&P in the winter and I will have enough science credits to be eligible for the nursing program. That means that after three years of hard work, I will finally have my pre-req's out of the way! I'll still have to do the micro and a third term of A&P, but as long as I get it done before I actually enter the program, I'll be fine.

Anyone have experience on learning on cadavers??? That's what I'll be doing in the fall. What's it like? I've heard the smell of the fermaldehyde is the worst part of it. Hmmmmm..........

How 'bout everyone else? How's school?
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:24 PM

Pasdechat, if you want to take the trouble to register on studentdoctor.net, there are a few threads on studying anatomy. Most of it is geared to med students (and pre-meds, some of whom can be little smartypantses), but there should be some tips anyway. They also have a forum area dedicated to RNs, I think.

My ex-husband used to be a lab TA for A&P for nursing students. All I can say is spend every second in the lab that you can. Most of your learning takes place in there more than in lecture. I worry about your taking two such time-consuming courses at one time while working, but if your memory's really good you may be just fine.

School is going super great for me! I took my MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) and got a score I'm very happy with, applied to ONE med school right here in town, and am now collecting letters of reference from faculty, who are saying nice things to me by e-mail. It's a nice ego-boost before I jump into the rest of the application process, which includes a full day-long interview. With any luck I'll start med school in fall of 2006.

Good to hear you're going full steam ahead!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register