Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

I just wanted to add my 2 cents of encouragement. I went to college for 1 year after high school and then did the "love and marriage and baby carriage''. When my youngest child entered first grade (I was 33) I went back to school to fulfill by dream of becoming a teaching. I was scared to death in the beginning, but it got easier as I met people. Graduated 3 1/2 years later with honors and then went on to get masters and +45. I finished my masters by the time my oldest began college. It wasn't easy, but I was more determined and more organized than the first time and I had a great support system. Over half of the students in all my education classes were nontraditional students. I had a very supportive family and have often said my degree should have all their names on it. That was almost 20 years ago and I'm sure the colleges are even more helpful with older students now. I wish you the very best of luck!!!
God Bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 01:35 PM

need support..............thanks for the encouragement! You are an inspiration to me! It is hard to go to school with kids, but it is so worth it in the long run!

Denise.....you are also an inpiration to me! I can't imagine going to med school! That is what I would really love to do, but I don't see how I could do it at this point in my life. I am excited about nursing though! I am concerned about taking two biology classes at the same time, especially since I am expected to get A's. I have looked at the stats at my college and the people who make it into the nursing program are pretty much the people with the A's, some B students.........anyway, that's why I'm going to try to take nutrition instead of micro. I do have a good memory! I remember everything! I just got through a medical terminology class, which is all memorization and it came so easy to me. I would read each chapter once, look over my notes once, and I aced every single test in there. And not just A's, like 98-100%. The memorization thing has always been easy for me. That is definately one huge thing I have going for me. We'll see......hopefully I get into the nutrition class and can drop the micro. I am so excited for A&P though! I can hardly wait, but I don't want to wish my summer away.

Good luck with med school Denise!
Unread 06-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Pasdechat,

Wow. Your memory is extensively better than mine! I bet you'll do well.

You have to do what fits into your life at the time you do it. Have a great time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 02:51 PM

Hi there! Well, I think I posted a little while back that I had grad from my RN-BSN program in April. I started my MSN program in May. Needless to say, Florence and myself have gotten pretty close since I have had to read her "Notes on Nursing". uggghhh.

My MSN program is 3 yrs since I am going part time. It seems like it will be slow, but I cant believe that Im 4 wks away from the end of the semester already.

Hope everyone is doing good!!!!!
Unread 06-29-2005, 06:04 PM

I wanted to add my encouragement to all who are going to school. You can do it! It is soooo worth it to reach for and attain your goal. It took me 10 years, but I finally did it. I know it can seem like it is so far away, but little by little I whittled away at the classes.

I'll be checking back to see how everyone is doing. Big s to everyone!

P.S. I'm thinking about possibly continuing on to the next level. Right now I'm concentrating on my health, but am starting to look into it.
Unread 06-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Kim! I knew you'd graduated, but this is the first time I've seen the new icon. I'm so happy for you and so proud to know you!
Unread 07-01-2005, 02:31 PM

(((Kat))) and (((Kim))), way to go! And Pasdechat, I am so glad to see that you've been able to continue. I don't know how you do it! I've only got one kid and it's still a lot of work. I'll bet your DH really works with you. Whoever it was that said that her degree should have everyone's name on it is spot on; I couldn't do ANY of what I do without my DH and DD.

My school has been on hold for health reasons and also because I've been extending creative energy in other ways. But we are in the process of moving, and my new job includes a tuition benefit (well, assuming I get my new job -- crossing fingers and er would help from all my friends here...) -- at Vanderbilt. My DH was very firm about doing whatever it took for me to finish my degee(s). I'd probably be doing sort of a simultaneous bachelor's and master's , which some creative writing programs permit.

It's funny for me. I find I can only really concentrate on one thing at a time. However, I want to take more; I'd love also to take courses in advanced Photoshop and photography. When I'm pursuing photography, I'm not writing; somehow the creative energy can only go in one direction at a time.

I'm glad to see everyone thriving so well academically! The concentration on school has to help with those nagging physical health issues that so many of us have -- at least, it works that way for me...

Audrey
Unread 09-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm going to med school!!!!!

I just got home today from a weekend trip and picked up my acceptance letter (I was so excited I got a friend to check my mail while I was gone and call me if there was good news in my mailbox!)

I want you all to know the Hystersisters were a major factor in my decision to pursue this path, especially the amazing ladies on the Road Less Travelled. I talked about this site and my experiences here in my admissions interview. You all rock!

I'm going to med school!
Unread 09-25-2005, 09:52 PM

Congratulations!!!! That has to be an incredible feeling! You should be so very proud of yourself!

I just started my A&P series and am so excited about that. If all goes as planned, I'll be getting MY acceptance letter into nursing school in the spring and I will hopefully be starting the program next fall!
Unread 09-26-2005, 05:57 AM

Good luck! My ex used to teach the A&P lab, and he always said he could tell who was going to get an A--they were always the last to leave the lab each day. Hang in there and knock their socks off!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register