Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

Your post caught my eye, because I've gone back to school TWICE after age 30!

I started nursing school at age 30, got my RN at 33 and worked as an ICU nurse (which I absolutely LOVED) for ten years. I'm now halfway through a Nurse Practitioner degree. I'll be 44 when I finish.

Is it difficult to deal with real life, kids, and school? Yes. Are there lots of other adult learners in nursing school? Yes. Is nursing an awesome career? Absolutely yes. I recommend it highly.

My rationale for the masters degree was that I will still have twenty years to practice before retirement!

Best of luck to you! You can do this! And you will be modeling for your friends and family just what an intelligent woman can do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2006, 05:25 PM

While I have a home-based business, it is only a secondary form of income. I have another job (held it since 1992), but it's based on managing a minor child's estate and he'll be coming of age soon. As a result, that job will go away.

I needed a backup plan and headed back to school. My new career choice is geared towards the administrative support of the medical fields. I earned my college certificate for Medical Billing/Coding in Aug 2005 and will have my Associates as a Medical Secretary & Transcriptionist before my 40th birthday this year.

So, by all means, head back to school!! It's never too late until you're six feet under.... Think of it this way too: We're living longer and longer, retiring later and later in life, and you still have your whole life ahead of you! Besides, if you don't do it, you'll always have those regrets to live with and, after a while, you'll despise yourself for having kept them as your roommates as long as you have.
Unread 05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
My husband went to nursing school in his late 30's

My husband kept having jobs where he got laid off due to cut backs, so he decided to go back to school and get his nursing degree when he was 37. My husband, our 3month old daughter our 3 dogs and myself sold our house I quite my job we moved out of state and moved into my parents garage. Our friends (and us at times) thought we were crazy. That was the hardest couple of years we have ever had. We were flat broke, had to get help from the goverment and sell our cars and drive around in a beat up 91 minivan. Did we do the right thing definatly my husband has a great job that he loves and best of all he has job security. We appreciate each other and everything we have so much knowing what we did to get it. Go for your dreams it might be hard and you might want to quit, hopefully it will be worth it, it was for us. You will never know until you try GOOD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 09:20 PM

I just finished my first year of med school at the age of 43! How's everyone else doing?
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Denise,

It has been a long while since I have posted on this site. I was surprised to see a message pop up in my e-mail this evening.

Congratulations on your continued educational success!!! That is marvelous!

I will be 54 tomorrow, and I just graduated in December with my associates in horticulture. Going back to school was a wonderful experience for me. It was a great deal of work, but it felt good to be accomplishing something. I miss attending classes now.

Because of some recent injuries, I had to leave my job in a nursery yard. I have been advised by my doctor to find something less physical. So, I am going to concentrate on honing my landscape design skills, and eventually find employment in that field.

I was amazed to go back over this thread and see all of the women who have been accomplishing so much. My oldest daughter (35) started back to get her masters in speech therapy. She has 4-year-old twin girls, a 2-year-old son, and just discovered she is pregnant with her fourth child. She is taking her classes online, and doing all of her studying on her own. I am so impressed with her dedication and ability to achieve her goals. I couldn't be more proud.

And, from what I see here, all it takes is the will to succeed, and the courage to make the attempt. My hat is off to all of you, and I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors!! Kudos, ladies!!!!!!

Mongie
Unread 06-06-2007, 07:48 AM

All,

It has been quite some time since I've posted at Hystersisters. I did go back to school to get my Masters in the fall of 03 - I completed it in the Spring of 05. I began teaching one class a semester in the fall of 06 while still working full time. I am currently 40, with only one child left at home.

It's encouraging to see so many of you going either to college for the first time, or back for more education, we must exercise the mind to keep it in shape as well as the body!

Best of luck to all of you.
Kelly
Unread 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Re: Going back to school in your 30's....

I just wanted to revive this thread to say I am graduating from the Medical College of Wisconsin this Friday as a Doctor of Medicine. I have spoken often in med school and residency interviews of the Hystersisters and how you all inspired me to become a primary care physician, someone to help patients manage their bodies in whatever state they may be--healthy, sick, or struggling, with our without a uterus. Doctors can't fix everything that goes wrong with your body, but together we can help you decide how to manage the body you have. Thanks, Hystersisters, for the inspiration and the motivation.

Denise
Unread 05-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Congratulations!!!!! Well, I am the one who started this thread several years ago and I did reach my goal. I am an RN now. In addition, because of my love for anatomy and physiology, I have become a human cadaver prosector at the college that received my degree at! I now have two jobs that I love!
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Congratulations pasdechat! That is really awesome!
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Pas-de-chat, I remember you! Congratulations on fulfilling your dreams! To anyone who is contemplating a big change, I won't say don't hesitate. Hesitate, research, search your heart. But then let yourself dream.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register