Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 02-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Here's an update......

In the morning, bright and early, I will go take my placement tests. I'm nervous, but oddly enough, excited too. I just keep telling myself that you can't flunk a placement test!!!! I just want to do well, so I don't have to take the really easy classes first! I'll let you know how I do

Send me "smart" vibes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Here's another update.....

I just got back from taking my placement tests and I scored really high on all three--english, writing and math. All my scores were just a couple points away from the highest possible score. So I already have one pre-requirement out of the way for nursing school.....That would be english. I scored high enough that I don't need to take the english class that's required. I also scored high enough in math that I can go straight to chemistry.....no math for me! It's been 14 years since I've been in school, so I am really, really excited about how well I did.

I'm one step closer to nursing school!!!!! I sign up for my classes in a couple weeks!
Unread 02-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

Woohoo! Great news!

I'm just a few days away from my first chemistry test, myself. I'm hoping to have happy news, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Something in the Air

There must really be something in the air.

I just read this thread today and I too am going back to school. I'm 3 weeks post op and 41 years old. I made this decision last week and have applied to the college. I'm expecting my packet in the mail anyday now that will tell me what I need to do next.

I'm going into nursing as well. I would really love to work in the OR. I was young, dumb, and stupid, and married at 17. Divorced after 13 years with 2 wonderful children who are 20 and 13. Married 2nd time to the most wonderful supportive man on earth and have been married for 9 years. He totally supports me in this decision and has given me the courage needed to get started.

The company that I worked for went into bankruptcy this past July and I lost my job as Director of Operations. I've always dreamed of being in nursing and I honestly don't know how we will afford it. But....I've made up my mind and I'm gonna do it one way or another.

Best of luck to all of you.
Unread 02-21-2003, 05:22 PM

Best of luck to you in this new endeavor!!!! I was thinking it was just me, but I, too, have changed careers.

I have been in telecommunications for 22 years. Sick to death of it, I quit a very, very good, high-paying, awesome benefits job....just a few weeks ago. I decided it's much more important to be happy with your life during your work hours ~ work typically takes up the lion's share of your life ~ than the salary and benefits.

I've been going to school, too! I'm not going in to nursing, but I'm going into Medical Transcription. I can work from home, I can work as much or as little as I want with flexible hours. I will have to do the research necessary to assure accuracy, but it won't be nearly as stressful and cerebral as the telecommunications stuff was. I'm 43, and my poor brain is burned out on it.

I'll be graduating from school very soon and I have my prospects lined up and should be in my new career very soon!

Kudos to you for taking the leap! Geronim0000ooooo!
Unread 02-21-2003, 11:47 PM

Good for you! I am so excited to go to school. I am sooooo impatient though! The 2 years it takes for me to get my requirements out of the way is going to be hard! I want to be in nursing school now!!!!!!!!! As I said in my thread, I want to work in Labor and delivery or the NICU, working in the OR is #3 on my list! I sign up for my classes in just a couple weeks and then spring term starts March 31st!!!!
Unread 03-01-2003, 02:36 PM

I took the 20 year plan to graduating from college. ha ha I went for 3 years after high school in 1979. Then I was offered a job with the Postal Service. This was very exciting to me as I grew up very, very poor in a family of 6 children. The money was good and I dropped out of college. I did not marry until I was 29 yrs. old and had worked somewhere since I was 13. We were unable to have children, but adopted a precious baby. We decided I could stay home with this little gift from God. It was during these years at home, I thought about finishing my degree. I chose the quickest plan which was a General Business degree. With that 4 year degree, I got my alternative teacher certification. My first day of teaching was my son's first day of kindergarten!!! God has been good to me. Two of my sisters also became teachers, much earlier than myself. So, it is never to late to go to school. You will LOVE it. I miss it actually.

CharleneS
Unread 03-03-2003, 01:00 AM
returned to school

I took the 6 yr degree plan the first time. I got my BA in 93...in primary and elem education.....taught for a few yrs..quit..worked in customer service for a publishing company for a little over a year..and then back to teaching for 3 yrs. I quit for good in 2001 and returned to college to work on a new career and degree. Started off just taking classes I was interested in, and getting my feet wet again. Thought I was going to go into Elder care...since I had just come from being in a primary caregiver situation with a grandparent with Alzheimers who had passed away. But was having troubles with getting classes I would need at the university..so then after talking to many different people within the profession they all kept telling me that the growing field of Paralegals would be better and more profitable, and you can work in advocacy which was really more what I wanted to do anyways.
So this past fall I enrolled in a paralegal studies program to get a certification...it's 3 semesters, and if I wished to get the BPS degree it's only about another 2 semesters after that. But, then I ended up having the emergency TAH in October and was forced to quit. But I started back in January...a little discouraged but still determined. So at 32 i started over...in a lot of ways. I know I can do it..I am more focused and committed this time (I am 34 now) than I was back in my late teens and early 20's.

Kudos to everyone who is out there in the same boat as me.
Unread 03-06-2003, 04:21 AM

Gosh, this post made me smile! Way to go, girls!

I went back in my mid 30's and became a teacher. I am now on my 10th year and it has been one of the best things I've ever done.

Cheers to all of you,

Lynn/Cappy
Unread 03-06-2003, 09:48 AM

I went back to school when I was 37 and finished my Bachelor's degree. Now that I'm 40, I'm planning to start on my Master's degree next fall.

It was scary at first, because I was afraid I couldn't keep up with kids so young that I have dental work older than most of them. But I did great and managed to maintain a 4.0 average even with working full time and trying to raise two teenagers!

I think the older you are, the better able to cope with school you are because you don't have all the distractions that younger students have (parties and boyfriends and such.) Plus, you're more focused on what you want and what your goals are, and appreciate school much more since you're paying for it instead of your parents!

I was talking to a lady once who was thinking of going back to school. She was 41 and wasn't sure what she should do. She made the statement, "But I'll be 45 when I graduate in four years!!" I said, "Well, how old will you be in four years if you DON'T go to school?" She said, "45." I replied, "Well, you're going to be 45 anyway, so you might as well be 45 with a degree rather than 45 without one!"

Go for it, girls!! You're never too old to learn!

s,

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register