Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 03-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Here's yet another update....

I got a letter in the mail from the financial aid office today. I don't qualify!!!!!! I thought for sure with 4 kids and a FIL living with us that I would qualify for something. How are we going to pay for this?????????? We'll make it happen no matter what!

I am just waiting for my registration date to come in the mail and then I'll go sign up for my classes I'm still excited, but nervous about how I'm going to make it all work with my kids and my job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Financial Aid

Would you qualify for a low interest student loan? The re-payment period starts 6 months after you graduate, and the payments are very reasonable.

Just a thought.
Unread 03-07-2003, 06:10 AM
Going back to school in your 30's....

That's the type of loan we use for our DD. It's a Federal Direct loam from the US Department of Education. She doesn't have to repay any of it until after she graduates, and it's a very low interest rate. (We do pay off the interest, so we're not adding that to the total each year, but that's not too bad of a payment). Check with the school's financial aid dept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2003, 05:09 PM

I went back when I was 43 and it was the best decision i ever made for myself. I loved going to school, did really well, never felt out of place, and now I have a new career doing something I have always wanted.

If you want it...........go for it.

Nancy
Unread 03-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Masters

I got my BS at 22, and my Masters at 46! Figured an old college degree wasn't all that useful, so nailed the MLS degree while both kids were getting their BS degrees. WHOO HOO! Hardest part was passing the GRE (the exam needed to get into grad school). I sweated bullets over that but a prep course via computer let me try and try and try until I could get the score level I needed.
My mother-in-law got her GED at 60, from the same high school that my kids later graduated from. Now that's the spirit! Continuing education is cited repeatedly as a memory booster, self esteem booster, and what the heck, you are going to be older next year whether you take a class or not, so why not? Even if you do not have a reason to get a degree, for your own good take a class in something every year. It keeps you feeling alive!
Unread 03-20-2003, 11:57 AM

I did it and loved it! I was one of those academically inclined kids, and did college at the conventional age, but picked the wrong major, burned out (although I did graduate), and drifted for a long time. I went back and started grad school in biology, my real love, at 36. Got an M.S. at age 38 and, three months ago, a Ph.D. at 46. My department at Western Michigan University still has a number of non-traditional grad students, including at least five other full-timers over age 40.

On the undergrad side: I taught laboratory sections and a few lectures as a grad student, and had lots of undergrads of non-trad age in my classes, too. I always loved seeing older students in my classes. They were usually among the most motivated; non-trads tend know what they want and aren't being pushed by anyone else.

I wouldn't have missed the experience for anything. It's hard work, but if you're pumped up to do it, you'll enjoy it! Shashi is absolutely right: You'll get older with or without your degree, so why not go for it?

You go, girl!
Juliepede
Unread 03-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Another update

One thing I have learned about myself is that when I decide I want something, I go for it!!!! I don't look back....just straight ahead! I haven't felt this excited about a dream of mine since I was a ballet student and since I got married and wanted to start having babies. I am so excited about this! I was a little disappointed when I went to sign up for classes and the chemistry class that I placed into was closed! Being a new student is no fun, but it won't be long and I will be among the students that get first pick of classes.

So, I signed up for math and english.....not as exciting as chemistry and biology(if you call that exciting), but they are classes I have to get out of the way...might as well get them out of the way now!

I start school on March 31st!!!! I can't believe it! I graduated high school in 1989 and haven't stepped foot into a classroom since then!
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Headed back this fall

I did go to college right out of High School and started a family shortly after that. My older two children (DD and Step Son) are 15 and my little one is 10. I got my bachelor's degree 15 years ago (had my DD and two weeks later had final exams).

Anyway - this fall (I'll be 37) I'm going back to school to get my Master's degree in Information Technology. I'm not going to realize any financial benefit to getting this degree right now - but my eventual plan is to teach on the college level.

Three years ago my DH, who never went to college - he managed fast food resturants since high school, Anyway he decided to go and get an associates degree in information technology and is now working as a network technician and is happy as a clam. He made bets with the older two kids on grades - what a compititon to have in the house - the best GPA wins...

It was good for my kids to see their father go to school to get a better job - it will be good for the kids to see me going back to further my career.

Go for it - I never regretted finishing up my bachelor's degree and am excited to get back into it. The kids and I will be able to sit around the table and do homework together...

Kelly
Unread 03-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Re: Another update

Quote:
Originally posted by pasdechat
... I was a little disappointed when I went to sign up for classes and the chemistry class that I placed into was closed! Being a new student is no fun, but it won't be long and I will be among the students that get first pick of classes....

Don't forget to visit the instructors personally for the classes you really wanted and see if you can get in. Often there are formal and informal waitlists. Ask everyone you see how you can get into a class that's closed. You never know what the real rules are. Being a grown-up means you're assertive enough to have a better chance at getting the classes you need. Good luck with it all!
Unread 03-25-2003, 03:54 PM

i kind of did the same thing becca did. my dh and i met at 18 and he was graduating high school....then he started college in the fall .....well after several years (6.5) we got married and a year and a half later decided to have a child....once my ds was born i decided when he was old enough I would get my degree.

I've attended many speciality schools, and taken classes over the years i make a pretty good living in Information Technology...been everything from a programmer, to designing networks but i LONG for a degree that fulfills my desires. I want to work in behavioral science and crime. I am 33 (and other than being out this semester for TAH/BSO) i am going to school and working full time...it may take me some time..and i am tired alot i have home/family etc....but i will get there....don't ever give up on your dreams.....they will become a reality

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register