Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 03-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Going back to school in your 30's....

Best of luck, pasdechat, on your first day of school this Monday.

Just because you didn't qualify on the official financial aid rolls, don't panic. There is always aid from somewhere. Try the local social organizations...the American Association of University Women has a scholarship program for women of a certain age. I got $300 from them a few years ago.

Surf the internet and the local library for financial aid sources. Go and get friendly with the financial aid office folks. There are always other ways to get aid.

There are also dedicated scholarships to certain types of people. You will find that some benefactors in their wills have left money to specific groups: women of Scandinavian descent; students in teaching careers; females in typically male-dominated careers, etc. DON'T give up!!

Sometimes if you get a part-time job at the school, they will let you go for free. That's how I got two MS degrees. I'm a sign language interpreter and I racked up so many hours I was allowed to take my own courses at no charge. Since you're a ballet instructor, ask about teaching a course as an adjunct. It can't hurt to ask, right?

Oh, and a few little pieces of advice from a longtime college student: buy an unattractive umbrella and an ugly lunchbox. That way if you leave either or both in a classroom by mistake, they will still be there the next time you go back!

Beth Ann, Ph.D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2003, 10:52 AM

Hi Pasdechat!

I got my MBA at 43 while working full-time and raising a daughter as a single parent. It was work but I'm so glad I did it. I learned so much and made a lot of wonderful friends.

Follow your heart!

Best to you!

Unread 03-29-2003, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone fore the latest replies. Thanks for all the encouragement. I am excited, but getting slightly nervous now that it's only a couple days away! I will keep you posted as time goes by and let you know how it's going!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Just do it

I got married at 18, had two kids by the time I was 26 and have been married 20yrs. I decided to go to college when my youngest was 7, cause he was in school all day. I am really close to getting my degree. It's the best move I have ever done, I have a supportive Husband for the most part. He just retired from the military after 21yrs. so those college classes kept me really, really busy.
There's plenty of help out there for you. Most colleges and states have financial aide. I have been very lucky to hardly pay a dime into my college education. It helps when you are a stay at home mom, and most colleges have Work study also, you work for the college to pay for your classes. I did a lot of that and it worked great for me.
It's a long journey if you have kids, I could only take two or three classes at a time and sometimes that was a lot, but if you want it you'll do it.

Good luck :Cheering:

Just do it

Memere
recently diagnosed with Adeno, hoping for a hyst soon.
Interstitial Cystitis 2yrs.
Unread 03-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Wish me luck!

Well, 3 months exactly past the date I started this thread, I will be going to my first class! You know, since I graduated high school, I could have gone from kindergarten all the way through high school again! That puts things into perspective a bit..... going to school for the next 4 years to become an RN is nothing!

Last night I had a dream that I was going to school and everything was going great, the professor loved me and I was doing really well.......but then I opened up my english book and there were a whole bunch of maggots in there!!!!!! Gross!!!!! I wonder what my dream means???? Hmmmmmm.........

Tomorrow is the beginning of a new chapter in my life!
Unread 04-01-2003, 11:50 AM

pasdechat,
I was wondering how your first day of classes went. I just know that you will do well. I'm still plugging away at it myself. I've got 4 more weeks left of this semester, just finished my second test and got a 97! I am going to sign up for a summer class too. I'm down to the wire now, 4 classes left and I will graduate.

School also helps me keep my mind off my other troubles. Gives me something to occupy my mind besides thinking about the pain all the time.

Do let us know how everything went. I am so proud of you!
Unread 04-01-2003, 01:02 PM

Thanks for asking Kim!!!!

Yesterday I had math. It felt weird walking through the halls with my backpack full of books! It's been 14 years since I've done that! I'm used to carrying a bag full of ballet shoes and ballet clothes! Anyway, at first I was thinking I was in the wrong class(too hard), then it all started making sence. I had homework, which I did and I was able to check my answers in the back of the book and I was right on all the questions

This morning I had english. I'm a little overwhelmed by that because I've never been much of a "writer", but I'm up for the challenge!

I'm getting ready to go to my math class now, so I will check back in when I have more time. Thanks again for asking!
Unread 04-01-2003, 05:39 PM

pasdechat,
I know about that math. I'm in accounting and was always a whiz at math, but when I had first signed up for school I had to take an assess test and there were all sorts of algebra questions. I couldn't answer a one of them. I took a few brush up classes and than when I had to take a special test to stay in school I did the best on the math part! Hang in there, I do think a good teacher can really make a difference. I've had good and bad and with the good I always manage to be able to get it. I won't say what I'd like to do with the bad.

Your sisters are here you on the whole way! Go pasdechat go!
Unread 04-01-2003, 11:16 PM
All I have to say is.......

5 HOURS OF HOMEWORK?????????????

I spent 5 hours on homework tonight and I'm only taking math and english. I spent about an hour on math, I'm doing really well so far. The next 4 hours were spent doing english.......reading a short story(not so short, IMO) and then summarizing it, finding the moral of the story and making an argument about whether the author approves of the main character's actions and why!!!!! I haven't even finished. I have to read another short story and make sure I comprehend it so on Thursday I can participate in the discussion of this story. I also have a grammar assignment that I'm about half way through with! UGH!

I'm looooooving it though
Unread 04-24-2003, 07:06 PM

I began college a month after I turned 40. I'm 49 now and have a master's degree and am working toward a Ph.D.--and I'm teaching college students as I go.

During graduate school I was able to reduce most of my tuition by working at an assistantship within the University system (as a tutor).

Put one foot in front of the other--be brave--and do it.

Congratulations on your decision! You're giving yourself something no one can ever take from you. And you're setting an excellent example for your children!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register