Going back to school in your 30's.... - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 04-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

I began college a month after I turned 40. I'm 49 now and have a master's degree and am working toward a Ph.D.--and I'm teaching college students as I go.

During graduate school I was able to reduce most of my tuition by working at an assistantship within the University system (as a tutor).

Put one foot in front of the other--be brave--and do it.

Congratulations on your decision! You're giving yourself something no one can ever take from you. And you're setting an excellent example for your children!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2003, 10:38 PM

Well, I made it through spring term........my very first term at college! I took English, which I earned an A in and Algebra, which I earned a B in. Not too bad, huh? Especially with having 4 kids and a job, I'd say I did pretty good! I am not taking any classes this summer, but I am signed up for chemistry and speech for the fall term. I'm still as excited as ever about becoming a nurse!!!! Just you watch me. I have a feeling I'll be hanging around hystersisters for quite a while, so you just might see me reach my goal!!!!!

Just an update............
Unread 06-26-2003, 07:19 AM
Awesome

Great job - take your right hand and reach around your left shoulder and pat your self on the back ! YOU deserve it.

I'm starting back this fall, working on my Masters in Information Technology.

Best of luck to you in your comming semesters!

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2003, 08:32 AM

WOOHOO for you! That's tough stuff, going back to school. I sure do hope to see how your story comes out. I have high hopes for you....for all of us.

I finished my first semester of chemistry and started my second, an 8-WEEK summer course. Boy, are we moving fast! And I got to shadow a doctor, I'm volunteering in a hospice, and my life, in general, is full.
Unread 06-27-2003, 06:37 PM

Went back to university p.t. at age 35 and graduated age 44 with a three-year history degree. Best years of my life (don't tell my DH and kids). If someone would pay me to stay in school, I would!

Professional Student
Unread 07-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Going back to school in your 30's

I was 31 when I decieded I wanted to go back to school to be a Nurse. It was tough but worth it. You just have to tighten your belts and do without for a couple of years. My husband and I lived in this run down house while I was in school. There were several times I got discouraged but when it was all over I looked back and realized how fast it went. You only live life once try not to have any regrets. I am 37 years old now and I love my job. I also decieded to try to do the things I always wished I would have done. I learned how to play the violin. I was so excited in May when I had my first concert. I would say if it is something you will regret not doing someday, then go for it. You can do it!!!!!
Dosha
Unread 07-08-2003, 01:59 PM

dosha, thanks for the encouragement! I feel the same way as you. You only live once and you have to go for your dreams. Since I posted this thread back in December, I have been through one term of school! I am so excited about it! I couldn't take any classes over the summer, but I am already signed up for two classes in the fall. I can't take any more than two classes at a time because I have a job and 4 kids, but eventually I will get my pre-req's out of the way and get into nursing school. I'm shooting for fall of 2005! It seems so far off, but with the way time flies, it will be here in no time. I am the same age that you were when you started going to school. It really inspires me to read everyone's stories of going back to school later in life. I can hardly wait until I'm a nurse....but there's so much to learn and I don't want to wish the next four years of my life away! I'm trying to relax and be patient.....besides in 4 years, my kids will be 11, 9, 7 & 7!!!! I'm not ready for that!

Thanks to everyone that encouraged me. You helped me get started by telling me to go for it and you are helping me keep my excitement about it now that I'm going for it!
Unread 07-08-2003, 02:24 PM

I went back to school, and graduated with a bachelor's in Business Administration in 1995. I was 38 when I graduated. It was BY FAR one of the best things I've done for myself. One year after graduation I landed a new job with an $18,000/year raise.

Going back took time and commitment, but I wanted to set an example for our two sons. DH and the sons came to graduation and were proud!
Unread 07-10-2003, 09:43 AM

Hey! Go for it!! I went back in my late 20's as a single mom. I completed my degree in teaching and am now 23 hrs. into my Master's because I just couldn't get enough. I found that I am a much better student this time around.

Also, look for off the wall scholarships. Check with a financial aid advisor for things like "non-traditional student" scholarships (those are generally for people over the age of 21 who return to school. Also, some hospitals in certain areas assist with expenses if you agree to work with them for a certain amount of time.

Good luck to you!
crickett283
Unread 10-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Back to school roll call

So how are you guys doing? I've completed two semesters of general chemistry. I've reduced my job hours to 80% and am now taking organic chemistry and biology. I think the organic chemistry is kicking my behind, but we'll see after the second exam (the first one was pretty easy).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register