TAH in Nov., now breast cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH in Nov., now breast cancer TAH in Nov., now breast cancer

Unread 01-02-2003, 06:35 AM
TAH in Nov., now breast cancer

I have been reading as much as I can in hystersisters. My body has been through so much that now that they have diagnosed me with breast cancer, I am struggling every day to keep a positive attitude. I will have surgery next Tuesday on the 7th for a lumpectomy unless they find more and then they will proceed at that time. After which I will be going through the chemo and then the radiation. I have already cut my hair short so as not to freek when it starts to disappear.
I don't know where to start except that I am really scared. Can you sisters please share both the effects of chemo and how to keep my strength and emotional balance?
Is it better to have a wig or wear hats?
Will I be able to work?
Just 6 weeks post-op from the TAH and on the 7th week a whole new world of checks and balances to start. My DH is very supportive and we will get through this, but sometimes my fears are winning. I look forward to your support, stories and I know that I can get through this.
A in need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2003, 07:04 AM

Huge s to you!!

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is never easy, but as you have read here, it is so doable. You will be amazed how the strength and courage comes to you one day at a time.
Wigs versus hats is an individual preference. I had a wig all set to go and then wore it one time. I was definitely a hat person. For me, hats were much more comfortable. Many women choose to shave their own heads when the hair fallout begins. You were wise to get a shortcut now. Before chemo I had a straight bob. Now I have a head of crazy curls.
Chemo drugs for breast cancer are different than what I received for ovarian cancer. But there are so many anti nausea drugs being used today. Hopefully, you will find one that works great for you. My onc told me before chemo, that my anticipation of chemo would be worse than the reality.
For me this held true. Hope it does for you also.
Some people are able to work during treatment. Alot depends on the kind of work you do and how well you tolerate the side effects.
Best wishes.

karenann
Unread 01-02-2003, 08:50 AM

Dear Cruz

You sure have been thru a lot and now more to come. You will find much love and support on this board. Chemo is different for everyone, but for me not as bad as I had feared. I have had two rounds of high dose chemo and have the third next week. i have not been nauseos, just a bit achy and tired for a few days, but able to keep up my usual routine so far.
I had my head shaved when it started falling out. Bandannas or ski beanies work fine me, but some women prefer wigs.
The diagnosis of cancer was a shock to me as it for all of us. I have bad days, but prayer, my faith, a supportive family and friends are getting me thru, helping me tap into a strength i didn't know I had. Some of the sisters on this board are beginning a chat Saturday night. Maybe you caould join in. You have to have or download AOL instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Sorry about your news

I'm going to recommend the breast cancer support group on ivillage.com. You have to register there but it's no hassle and no junk e-mail, etc. Go to "health" on the main page and click on that and their health page comes up. Then scroll down and look along the left until you see "boards" and click on that. Breast Cancer Support will be in the left column under the cancer section. You will have some of the chemo we've had (taxol or taxotere) but breast cancer chemo is different and most likely will be adriamycin/cytoxan. Those women will be welcoming and helpful. Everyone reacts differently to chemo--I worked with treatment for ovarian in 2001. I missed Thursday for treatment itself (would work until it was time to leave) and Friday afterward and then would be back at work the next Monday. I did clerical work and could sit down a lot but there was some running back and forth as our office was split on two floors. I did have to take leave from my part-time job. I retired in January before the recurrence. It would be harder this time because just one of the drugs at a higher dose has given me more side effects, but I still think I could do it if I had to. As for wigs, etc. I definitely went with a wig. For me, I wanted the most natural look. Some like bandannas or scarves and others like hats. Be sure you go to a "Look Good, Feel Better" by the ACS in your area. You can also call 1-800-850-9445 and order their "TLC" catalog--has tons of hats, scarves, coverups, and wigs. Good luck! Ellen
Unread 01-02-2003, 06:29 PM

Hi Cruz

Sorry to hear about the breast cancer on top of everything else. I just finished chemo in Sept. for ovarian cancer so it is all fresh in my mind. I had six treatments of taxol and carboplatin. My hair fell out after the second treatment but I was very brave!!! I bought myself a few wigs before the actual fallout so I was ready. I preferred wigs over hats because it made me feel better but many people prefer the bandanas and scarfs and stuff like that. The chemo did make me feel kinda yicky for days 2 and 3 after the treatments. Then I was fine and I DID work the entire time I was Having chemo. I would have the treatments on a Thursday, be ok on Friday, icky on Sat and Sun. and then fine on Monday.
My oncologist said that people that work and stay on their regular schedules thru chemo do do better and have a better attitiude. However, everyone is different.
I also went back to work 6 wks after my hysterectomy. Wanted to go back after 3 but doc and I compromised on 6.
This is all doable!!
Keep in touch
Rosalie
Unread 01-02-2003, 06:30 PM

Hi Cruz

Sorry to hear about the breast cancer on top of everything else. I just finished chemo in Sept. for ovarian cancer so it is all fresh in my mind. I had six treatments of taxol and carboplatin. My hair fell out after the second treatment but I was very brave!!! I bought myself a few wigs before the actual fallout so I was ready. I preferred wigs over hats because it made me feel better but many people prefer the bandanas and scarfs and stuff like that. The chemo did make me feel kinda yicky for days 2 and 3 after the treatments. Then I was fine and I DID work the entire time I was Having chemo. I would have the treatments on a Thursday, be ok on Friday, icky on Sat and Sun. and then fine on Monday.
My oncologist said that people that work and stay on their regular schedules thru chemo do do better and have a better attitiude. However, everyone is different.
I also went back to work 6 wks after my hysterectomy. Wanted to go back after 3 but doc and I compromised on 6.
This is all doable!!
Keep in touch
Rosalie
Unread 01-02-2003, 10:31 PM

I don't have any advice. I just wanted to give you a big

That's a tough road because you are so newly post-op. We'll be thinking of you on Tuesday and sending good thoughts.
Unread 01-03-2003, 07:49 AM
You are all wonderful

You all help keep my spirits up. I was talking with a cousin and she said that she would send me her grandma's wig.
I like hats so I will probably be a hat person. Cut my hair really short and am ready to move forward. Thank you all for your prayers and emotional support. It means the world to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register