concerned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-02-2003, 07:33 AM
concerned

Hi all. My name is Amy and I am 26. I was recently diagnosed with CIS. I was told that it is through the entire epithilial layer but has not broke through the basement membrane. I have had pap, colpo, lasercone, and D&C. The last two were performed on Dec 19. On the 30th, the nurse at the Doc's office told me that it was CIS, which we had already confirmed at colpo (so no worse than what we knew of I guess.) I was then told that we would proceed to hysterectomy, because the lesion is so big (it covers my entire cervix and endocervix.)

Is this the standard treatment for this? I am not having adverse thoughts regarding the hysterectomy, I guess I just want to know that this will take care of it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I have not actually talked to the doc himself about the results of the latest tests, nor have I seen the results of the tests in hard copy. But I am confident that it is no worse than this. When I had the pap originally, it came back mild dysplasia, then a few weeks later, at the colpo, the doc said that it looked like moderate, but covered everywhere. Upon return of the punch biopsies and endocervical samples it showed CIS. The laser cone (per what the nurse said) did not come back worse than that.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2003, 08:53 AM
concerned

Hi Amy,

You have certainly come to the right place! It sounds like your doctor is very thorough and that you have gotten a lot of information about the CIS diagnosis from the office, that is good.

To try and answer your questions, a hysterectomy is a fairly common treatment for CIS. If you decide to have one, the doctor will look around during the hysterectomy to ensure that the cancer has not spread, and possibly remove some lymph nodes to check them as well. Therefore, after the hysterectomy you will get another pathology report that will be able to tell you with a high degree of accuracy whether all of the cancer has been removed. You and your doctor have caught this early, which is very good news.

I would like to suggest that you try to see a gyn/oncologist if you haven't seen one yet. They are specially trained in this field and have a lot of experience with surgery for cancerous tissue. Take care,

chicklet
Unread 01-02-2003, 09:37 AM
concerned

Hi Amy,

I had my hyst because of severe dyplasia. The path report came back showing CIN3/CIS. My dr was hoping that the Cone Biopsy would take care of it but the next pap came back abnormal also.

I second Chicklet regarding the Gyn/Oncologist. Even though CIS isn't considered a cancer, the oncologists work with this type of dx all the time.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2003, 10:28 AM
concerned

s Amy

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. There are many ladies posting here with your diagnosis. I love your attitude!!!! Get ready for lots of advice, hugs and encouragement.
I would strongly agree with some advice you've been given already. Go see a gyn oncologist for a second opinion. You are too darn young not to get the advice of an gyn expert.
I hope you keep in touch with us.
Best wishes.

karenann
Unread 01-02-2003, 06:01 PM
concerned

Amy!

Welcome to Cancer Concerns! I whole-heartedly agree with the recommendation to see a gynecologic oncologist. Actually, at your age I think it's crucial. You're still so young, and usually the first concern is to preserve fertility if there is another way to treat the dysplasia.

It sounds as if you've already had a LEEP which could possibly have eliminated the bad cells from the inside of your cervix. That can't be determined with any certainty until your follow-up PAP. Some of the docs opt to do a cold knife cone biopsy which is a little more extensive but which can typically remove a larger part of your cervix and (some believe) more clear biopsy results). If you also have dysplasia on the outside of your cervix, well sometimes they will treat that with cryotherapy or with laser. These are all questions worth the asking to see what your options are. Finally, there is a relatively new procedure called a trachelectomy which will remove your cervix but will leave your uterus for future child-bearing. There are not many docs out there doing this particular procedure yet, but they are out there.

I had many instances of dysplasia which were treated with cold knife cone biopsy and cryotherapy (freezing). It gave me enough time (13 years) in which to have my family before moving on to the hysterectomy.

And, as far as taking care of it, well, in the majority of cases the hysterectomy will take care of the problem, but there is a small chance that it will recur on your vaginal wall, so it's very important to have regular follow-ups with your gyn to monitor this. But please, take the time to get a second and even a third opinion before making this decision.

Good luck, Amy, and please let us know what you decide to do! Feel free to stop in any time--we are always open!

<--- another one for good measure
Unread 01-02-2003, 06:02 PM
concerned

Again, I would go to the gyn/oncologist. You are so young. Werer the cells squamous or adeno. Squamous is very slow spreading and there has been success with women who have taken large doses of folic acid. (I am not a doctor--so please double check everything I'm saying) Good Luck with your decision.
Unread 01-02-2003, 06:15 PM
concerned

Hi Amy.

Well, you have heard this numerous times before by everyone else but I too, am going to stick my 2 cents in. Please go see an oncologist gynocologist before making any definate decisions. They are the experts and we all trust them, as you can tell.
Keep us informed
Rosalie
Unread 01-02-2003, 06:22 PM
concerned

Hi, Amy!

I just finished reading your post in pre-op which gives a much more extensive picture of your history with this. It seems concerning that you would have so much bleeding and discomfort with your exam. You might like to ask your doc or your gyn/onc to check your vaginal wall as well to be sure the dysplasia isn't there as well. Mine was discovered on my vaginal wall and I had a history of pain and bleeding with intercourse from the same spot all the time--it was tearing open with intercourse and with exams. I just wanted to drop that thought your direction so that you can also investigate that. Good luck!
Unread 01-02-2003, 09:16 PM
concerned

Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about the vaginal wall. I have been a nervous wreck about all of this. It is squamous by the way (sorry ... I forgot to mention that) As far as preserving my fertility goes, that isn't an option for me anymore. I am not childless, but I had a very hard time carrying and delivering the children I have, and hemmoraged after the last one. I have some major scarring because of an assault. I cannot have anymore kids, the doc said it was not safe. I was just so concerned that this seems so drastic (but I am ok with getting it removed) I just want to know that it will take care of it. I don't want to go back in a few months later and have the doc say "ahh....we need to do more we missed some". That is probably highly unlikely. I am just scared I guess.

I understand that cervical cancer is not genetic, but so many people in my family have had one type of cancer or another that I tend to freak at the mention of it. I am so scared, probably more than I should be. I have a wonderful husband, but at the same time he does not understand what I am going through right now. I guess that is why I love this site.

There are still many things I do not understand about all of this. Thanks to all you ladies who so graciously give your time and attention to those of us in need!!
Unread 01-03-2003, 01:01 PM
concerned

Hi,
If you are done with chlidbearing then a hysterectomy is a common procedure for CIS. The procedure itself really is not bad. I would again have a gyn/oncologist give an opinion. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register