more questions/CIS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

more questions/CIS more questions/CIS

Unread 01-02-2003, 09:29 PM
more questions/CIS

I was just wondering about a few things. After the laser cone biopsy, the nurse said that it came back CIS. I was reading stuff on the net today and it said something about once the hysterectomy is performed, the uterus, cervix, etc. is then completely biopsied to make sure that there is no invasive cancer. Ok, I guess I am confused. I thought the laser cone established that. I had actually been excited since Monday in KNOWING that it was not invasive and only CIS. I called my mom and told her the "good" news.

How does this work? I guess I just want to know that I do NOT have invasive cancer. So again, I turn to those who are definately more knowledgable in this area than myself!!! And i apologize for having so many questions, but my doc is out until Monday and who knows when I will actually be able to talk to him about all of this. Plus, I feel that he may not be being completely frank with me. I do not want anything sugar coated from him!! I was under the assumption that this was the definative diagnosis. CIS and that is final. Nothing more. If not, what exactly was the laser cone for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2003, 10:29 PM
more questions/CIS

{{{Amy}}}

Come and ask all the questions you want! Just make sure to follow up with your doctor to verify the information.

As a general rule, whatever they find on the LEEP or CKC (cold knife cone) is what's there. Once in a while someone will go into their TAH thinking they have CIS and come out finding that they really have stage 1 cancer. That doesn't happen often. Now whether things progressed between the time of the LEEP/cone and the hysterectomy or whether somehow an area was missed during the LEEP/cone, I'm not sure anyone can answer definitively. But for now, you are probably safe to assume that right now you do not have invasive cancer. So take a deep breath--chances are that you have CIS, period. And just as an aside, it's fairly common to go into a TAH after having a LEEP and the pathology report will then come back as normal because the LEEP got all of the bad cells and there were none left behind to catch on the biopsy. Just thought I'd throw that out there because women are sometimes confused by that. But yes, they will biopsy everything that they remove just to be sure.

I hope this helps, Amy. Remember--we're here if you need us.

Unread 01-02-2003, 10:42 PM
more questions/CIS

((Amy))

Yes, it is possible that the pathology done after the hyst shows something different than the path report after the cone. After the hyst they have much more tissue to work with. I don't think it's a common occurance but we probably all held our breath until the dr told us about the final reports.

My path report showed a lesion high in the canal that the dr said might have gone unnoticed with follow-up paps. That lesion showed CIS ...a step higher than I expected.

I know you're going to worry. Just try to stay positive and believe that it will turn out OK and the hyst will take care of it.....as it usually does.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2003, 10:43 AM
more questions/CIS

Hi again Amy,

Try not to worry too much (I know, I know, easier said than done). Usually a cone biopsy will give you a very good idea of the true cancer stage. You have found the cancerous cells at an extremely early and treatable stage. So even on the off chance that the cells have spread further up the uterus, the hysterectomy should be the definitive treatment since you have been lucky enough to catch this early. Take care,

Chicklet
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:09 PM
more questions/CIS

I just thought that I would throw this in with all the others. I used to work in surgery. Everything, I mean everything that is removed during surgery is sent to pathology. Everything is checked. This is mainly, I would assume, to make sure everything is alright. IE: If you had gallbladder removed, they would look at it thru microscope. Or say you had a bunion surgically removed, they would look at it thru a microscope.

I am one of the lucky ones (I guess) That when they did my surgery for poss. ovarian cancer, they did frozens on those (ovaries) and didn't find cancer, but when they did the pathology report on the uterus & cervix they found endocervical cancer (adenocarcinoma).

So dont worry too much, but be glad that they do check everything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register