fistula surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fistula surgery fistula surgery

Unread 01-03-2003, 09:24 AM
fistula surgery

I am one of the "fistula ladies" and I will be having my repair surgery on Jan 15th. I have followed a group of wonderful ladies on several threads on this site. They have been a great support team for all of us, and I consider them all very special friends.

Right now I am trying to get myself mentally ready for another major surgery since it looks like they will have to do my surgery abdominally right through my old (not so old 10 weeks!) incision.

I know I can count on lots of support from everyone, this site is fabulous!

Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2003, 10:03 AM
fistula surgery

(((((Louise))))))) I'm so sorry you're facing yet another surgery, so soon after your hyst Please know that we're all for you and that your sisters will be there for you.

Remember this, sweetie: the waiting's the worst part.
Unread 01-03-2003, 11:15 PM
fistula surgery

(((Louise))) you have been so strong through all of this, I know you are going to do just great through this surgery! We'll all be here for you, of course... and the pillow will be watching you when you come home to make sure you take it easy and let yourself heal!
You can do it!
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2003, 06:06 AM
fistula surgery

Louise,

The name of the medication I took after surgery to control the spasms was B & O. It is a class two drug which contains opium and sometimes hard to find. It is a suppository that is used to put the bladder to sleep. This is important after surgery if you suffer from the spasms so that your stitches stay in place. You might want to mention this to your DR early so you can see what he has in mind for you.

Any other questions you have let us know. Between all of your sisters here, we should be able to answer most of them before your surgery.

Take care,

Barbara
Unread 01-04-2003, 10:24 AM
fistula surgery

Thanks everyone for your support!

Linda, you're like a guardian angel, you just show up wherever you're needed!!

Barbara, I will talk to my drs on Wednesday about that medication. My bladder is still very sore and it has been 3 days since the cath came out! It feels almost like the old cramping from periods! I wanted to stop taking the detrol because I still don't feel that "urge" to pee like before surgery, but with the bladder pain, I'm afraid to. Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with it.

The leaking from the fistula is 100 times worse than before, Last night I really missed the cath and actually thought maybe I would get another one before the new surgery-then I had a bad bladder spasm, which reminded me of the really bad ones I had with the cath, and I decided against it!

Thanks again for all your support-you are all very special to me! Have a good weekend-I'm off to buy depends!

Louise
Unread 01-04-2003, 10:48 AM
fistula surgery

Hey Louise - It's Joce and I want you to know that I'm there for you however you need me as are all the other wonderful ladies here.

Regarding the catheter, I blessed it because I couldn't deal with the leaking, especially at night. I did leak about 25% with it, but even that was better for me. Before I got it I got no sleep at all - BUT - I did not experience bladder spasms with it (only on occasion). I have had some and by talking with everyone else, mine were very mild. Just hang in there and sit up to sleep if you have to (that helps). This is going to pass and the 15th will be here soon.

Love to all, Joce
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:38 AM
fistula surgery

Good morning!

Joce-thanks (again) for your support and words of wisdom. Sleeping was my biggest problem because I kept waking up feeling like I was wetting the bed! My dd bought me some depends and last night, I only got up twice (instead of every hour!) The leaking is still really bad-if they postpone till the 22nd I may have to get another cath and pray for the spasms to be manageable.

I know it's really stupid, but I am starting to feel ashamed that I am leaking like this-I don't even talk about it with my dh because it must be a major turn-off and I feel like he will never find me attractive again. I feel like an old woman now, and I think back to all the promises from friends who had a hysterectomy, and said how "wonderful" my life would be after I had the surgery! One friend who had a hysterectomy last year, just got a tummy tuck and lipo, and is constantly telling me how great she looks and feels, and that I should start saving now so next year I can get a tuck! I told her I will NEVER have surgery again unless it is absolutely needed, and she laughed and said I'd change my mind! They don't get it...

Thanks again for listening.
Hugs to you all,
Louise
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:27 PM
fistula surgery

Oh (((Louise))), you don't need a tummy tuck to be beautiful, you are beautiful just the way you are, even with the leaking!

I don't blame you for not wanting to consider a tummy tuck, I could really use one and I won't hear of it. Necessary surgeries only for this sister, please.

I'm so sorry you're worried about your DH finding you attractive.... I feel for you there. But he will! He loves you for the woman you are, not for some body parts. I worried about the same kind of thing because I gained a bunch of weight pre-hyst (hormones) and then some more post op. When I finally got up the nerve to talk with DBF about it, he said he thought I looked just perfect the way I was but it was hard to start that conversation.

I think that once this is behind you, you'll be able to focus on getting back your positive self image. We'll be right here to tell you you look mahvelous!
Hang in there, sweetie.
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-05-2003, 02:52 PM
fistula surgery

Louise -

Hang in there !!!! I will be thinking of you on the 15th. You are soooo STRONG, girl !!!!
Keep us posted.

Anita
Unread 01-05-2003, 04:27 PM
fistula surgery

Louise,

I know just how you feel and believe me it will pass. I always felt so ashamed and aware that I had wet diapers all the time. I was changing them about every hour because I could not handle the foley and didn't want to smell like urine. By the time I had the surgery the Fistula was almost 3 inches and I wasn't holding anything in the bladder.

About you husband he does understand and love you, he just doesn't know how to help you at this time. Men feel helpless when their wifes are suffering. My DH told me that I could easily be a cover girl for AARP when I was getting ready to take a shower and still had my diaper on.

Maybe you should try to do a few things to take your mind off what is happening to you. Remember I went to New York for 5 days even with diapers. Just plan your time so that you can get to a bathroom and change. The ultra serinity pads work very well and I also wrapped toliet paper thick inside as an extra layer.

It has been 10 weeks since my repair and I feel great and am looking forward to enjoying my family and friends. You will be there very soon, don't be worried that your friends don't understand because we do.

Have a good nights sleep,

Barbara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register