fistula surgery - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fistula surgery fistula surgery

Unread 01-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Update

Hi,
I know everyone's been wondering about me so I'll give you a short update. I feel pretty good today but am getting tired. I am taking a double dose of Cipro for an infection and my internal stitches are showing through my stomach so am back to the doctor on Friday. I wouldn't recommend this surgery so soon after a hyster but Louise you should do fine. I wish I could think of something more encouraging to say but can't which is why I don't keep in touch. I was twice as nervous with my second surgery and anticipated the worst but all is ok. I had excellent care in the hospital and really missed the attention when I came home . I am taking detrol but still leak quite a bit. I have an emergency diflucan because having a cathater in so long keeps me open for a yeast infection. Jan 23 the cathater comes out and a new chapter will start. I will just have to see. My dr says it might be 3 months before my strength comes back. As good as I feel today I am now hoping for sooner. Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts 'cause I think they worked. If you don't hear from me it is because I am working through some depression issues and exhaustion and am not a good communicator. My dh has to put up with my temper tantrums so he really appreciates the good days.
Take care,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2003, 05:36 PM
fistula surgery

Hey Terry,

So glad you decided to post. Please keep us up on your progress. I'm sure all of our stories will be helpful to those who come behind us...and they are all encouraging, from the worst to the best. It is just good to know that you are not alone in this path. This must be especially hard having the 2 surgeries together. Please rest all you can. Stop BEFORE you get tired. I've heard that it takes a good year to totally get over major surgery and that is when it all goes well.

Will keep you in my prayers!

MaryJulia
hysterureterovaginalfistulasister
Unread 01-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Possible cause of your fistulas?

Hi to all.

To those of you that have had your repair surgeries . . could your surgeons determine what exactly caused the injuries to your bladders? Were the injuries due to misplaced stitches, surgical trauma and/or infection? My fistulas that affected my bladder were from a different source (intestinal) and my leaking so intermittent. Since mine were so small and healed on their own they believe those were infection related.
I had a rough day today with my ongoing rectovaginal fistula. I cut back on the antibiotics (Dr. recommended) and paid a huge price. After 9 months of this I'm also now dealing with depression and exhaustion issues.
I'm so glad that those of you that already had your repair surgeries keep reminding the rest of us that there is light at the end of this tunnel. I need to hear that - because I do not see that light yet.
I do have another appt. with a surgeon in early Feb. This is it now!!! I need this resolved - it's my New Years Resolution that I will put all my energy into getting well. I have waited long enough for this to heal on it's own.
Thanks to those of you that are now healed to continue to help the rest of us along. We still need you!

Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2003, 01:31 PM
fistula surgery

Hello All!

had my pre-op appt yesterday and my surgery will be on the 15th. Dr told me to stop taking macrobid because I don't have a UTI-now I am paranoid I will get one and surgery will be postponed! I'm drinking gallons of cranberry juice...

Got a phone call from the resident who assisted in the hysterectomy-he just found out today about the fistula and wanted to apologize! He sounded so sincere I actually felt sorry for him.

Anita, you asked about causes-he said I had alot of scar tissue (adhesions) around where they made the cuff and he said it could have been because scar tissue doesn't heal well and that might have caused the fistula (they never saw a stitch or anything in the bladder)

My new uro/gyn also told me yesterday that he is still hoping to do the repair vaginally, but he will do whatever it takes to do it right. Mentioned that he won't need a graph because the fistula is so small. he said he might just open up the vag cuff and re-suture. He also said I would probably only have one catheter-he hasn't decided which kind yet.

My bladder is still really sore, not as bad as before though. I can't take any motrin because of the new surgery but am still on detrol and afraid to stop taking it. I have major PMS this week achey boobs and all! I swear it's affecting my bladder, too-hopefully I don't have endo left in there-that's all I need!

Hope everyone is well. You have all been such a God send to me.

Terry I know how rough this is for you, I have those days too. I was thinking about asking the dr for anti-depressants yesterday, but decided I would wait and see what happens after next week. I wonder if I will ever feel like "me" again!

Hugs to you all!
Louise
Unread 01-09-2003, 03:13 PM
fistula surgery

Afternoon friends - here's my post from my fistula land.

Had my last appointment with my wonderful Urologist, and was released. I feel so good (except for this terrible cold and the crampy feeling down there from his examination). Anyway - all looked great, the surgery site was not inflamed and had healed nicely! He said I should never have to see him ever again. That is great news! I have to watch my bowel movements (keep them regular), keep drinking lots of water, go to the bathroom when I need to (do not hold it), and walk. I did not have a bladder infection. Free at last!

Louise - I am so glad that your day is coming. The 15th is close and that will be the beginning of the true end. My surgery was 11/12 and after about 2 weeks, I felt better. I hope the repair can be made vaginally.

Anita - my heart goes out to you. I cannot image having the rectovaginal fistulas. Hold on to good thoughts and know that eventually, this is going to be all fixed and the future awaits. Regarding the reason for my fistula - probably a stitch from the vaginal cuff sutures that punctured my bladder and then took a few weeks to burst through. Please know that my prayers and good thoughts are with you each night.

Terry - listen to what MJ has to say. Please rest before you get tired. My prayers are with you nightly also.

Kimberly - do you have urge incontinence? When I saw my Uro today, he said that some leakage could happen from my urethra if I waited too long to go to the bathroom. Is your leakage coming from your vagina or pee hole? We may have discussed before, but I can't remember. I know what you mean by a little leakage is a lot better than what was happening. I hope it all gets better for you when the bladder infection clears up.

Wonder how Ariel is?

Love to all, Joce
Unread 01-09-2003, 05:11 PM
fistula surgery

Hello,
I have had 2 good days in a row. Yeah! Although I still take Darvocets every 4 hours because my incision burns without. Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel the worst part is my house. It has never been dirtier and I don't dare ask dh to do anymore than he is doing already. I can't bend or pick anything up and just trying to dust wears me out. I am happy that I can now shower without help because that frees him a little. I see cobwebs everywhere and my sense of smell has been enhanced. I guess I am getting better because I didn't notice or didn't care before. I talked to my attorney's secretary today and she said I sounded much better. Even though I knew the risks of having my surgery so quickly I am at least glad I didn't have the agony of the wait. I feel so bad for you Louise because I know that I couldn't have endured the wait. Tomorrow is my Post-op with my gyn so I will let you know how that goes. My brain fog seems to be a little better so I am not so embarrassed about writing or talking as much.
Thanks to all for all the advise and support!
Terry
Unread 01-09-2003, 07:55 PM
fistula surgery

Terry -

You sound so much better !!!! Glad to hear that.

Anita
Unread 01-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Fistula

I also have to go for another abdominal surgery for a VVF. Had a TAH Nov 1, 2002. At 3 weeks I popped a hole in my bladder and have been wearing a diaper ever since. I will have my surgery the end of Feb. Not looking forward to being cut open again and having a catheter (and a supra pubic cathether) in for 10 days.

Hoping all goes well. Thank you for this website, I have my sanity back.

Sherry B.
Unread 01-10-2003, 01:24 PM
fistula surgery

Sherry,

We're glad you found us(not glad you have a fistula!) As far as diapers go, I was hoping they were something I wouldn't have to use until I was 80! If my bladder hadn't freaked after having the foley in for 5 weeks, I would rather have the catheter-the leaking drives me nuts, especially at night!
We're here if you need us. Hope everyone is doing well.

Louise
Unread 01-11-2003, 12:50 PM
fistula surgery

Sherry,

So glad you found this site. It was priceless to me as I went through my diaper days and catheter days. Please feel free to ask and vent. We've all been (or are being) there.

Will add you to the ever lengthening prayer list of fistula sisters.

Please keep us posted!!

MaryJulia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register