fistula surgery - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fistula surgery fistula surgery

Unread 01-12-2003, 03:10 PM
fistula surgery

3 days till my surgery day and I am getting nervous! I have to go in tomorrow for blood and urine tests and if I have an infection-no surgery this week!

I feel pretty good physically, the best I've felt in a long time. Dh and I spent all day yesterday doing errands, going to lunch...I almost felt normal (except for the diaper!)

Hope everyone is doing well. I wish we could get a post from Ariel-has anyone heard from her?

take care and keep me in your prayers-you're all in mine!

Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2003, 06:31 AM
fistula surgery

Sherry - so glad you found the website and our thread. Refer to our other threads - starting with "vaginal urination" and you will find so much information and day to day stuff, it'll take you a week to read all of it! Hang in there and please ask questions, vent, cry, whatever. You wll get through this.

Is everyone else doing O.K.? It is very cold here in Georgia and will be for a few weeks. I love it, even though I'm suffering with a terrible cold.

Everyone, check in. Han (Jocelyn)
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:34 AM
fistula surgery

Louise - I am just now seeing your post. Glad you are so close to getting "fixed". Hang in there and take it easy. My thoughts and prayers (good karma too) are coming your way.

Will you have someone post after your surgery? Let me know if you need a contact.

Joce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2003, 07:56 AM
Feeling Better!

Hi,
Thought I would give Louise a little encouragement! My post op w/gyn went well Friday. Infection is gone and w/abdominal binder am able to get around better. Looking at April as a reasonable back to work time as opposed to last week thought I would never return. The nights are the worst as I have bladder spasms but now take a sleeping medication and darvocet before going to bed with my heating pad and is much better. I have my mother-in-laws wheel chair in my garage and am making good use of it for any outings no matter how I feel. My dr has made a formal complaint to medical board regarding my old dr on my behalf and a couple of other mishaps. Somehow that makes things seem better. My dh has had 4 days off work and it makes a world of difference. We are planning an outing to Kansas City when my cathater comes out or as I call it my ball & chain. I learned not to buy generic diapers as they are not worth the savings. Wow do I feel sorry for babies that can't tell when their diapers are wet. Anyway I will be thinking about you on surgery day and I will pray all goes well. Please let us know how things go and don't be afraid to ask for anti depressants after surgery because they do make a difference. I hope that you get all the attention and wonderful care that I did in the hospital. As opposed to my hyster they did not want me up and moving as much or so soon after which was good!
Take care of yourself!
Terry
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:27 PM
fistula surgery

Hey Ladies,

Had my repeat IVP today. The urologist said that if he had not known that I had a ureteral injury, he would never have believed it from the x-ray. It was completely NORMAL!!! Isn't that wonderful? I told him that I still have some pain and discomfort on that left side which he said could be attributed to basic post op tissue settling type stuff. Ok, sure. One more visit with my Gyn on Monday and I should be done. By the way, the xray tech asked if I'd had a bladder tack. She says that they see this injury stuff going on all the time from bladder tacks, hysterectomies, and c-sections. I'd never heard of it before it happened to me.

Funny thing, had a hot flash last night. Knew that I'd gone one extra day without changing my patch. Realized this morning that my patch had fallen off!!!!! Who knows when.

Just 2 more days, Louise. The wait is almost over!!! Please let us know how you do. If your DH could call Joce, she could post for you while you are in the castle again.

I haven't heard anything from Ariel. Should just drop her a regular email. I hope she is well but remember that she was dealing with other health issues.

How is Barbara?

Terry, you just sound so much better. Isn't it great to be looking forward to things instead of dreading them? I'm glad you are recovering so well.

Anita, did you ever find any one else dealing with the recto-vaginal fistulas? You asked about cause-my Gyn said that he probably devascularized part of the ureter when removing the endometreosis from it. About 9 days later, that part of the ureter died due to lack of blood supply. Hope that this will indeed be your year of recovery.

Sherry, how are you holding up?

Prayers and good wishes to all,

MaryJulia
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:51 PM
fistula surgery

Hi Ladies,

Louise, I am so happy for you. Your day is almost here and you will be good as new before you know it. Just remember don't do anything. Just kick back and rest. A few weeks is not going to hurt. You want this thing to heal up good. I feel for you if you have to have a subpubic cath. Mine gave me h--l. But everyone is different and yours i'm sure will be fine. If you even have to have one. I will be thinking about you and saying a prayer on the 15th. Good Luck.

Hansolo, My leaking has gotten alot better. I think it was the infection and if I do wait to long before I go then I have a hard time making it to the bathroom. The last few days I have had no leaking. I can tell that mine heals more and more as the days go by. It's only been a month on the 12th. The insides are still healing and will for awhile I'm sure. The site on my tummy is looking better. Is your's still sore?

Sherry, How did you poke a hole in your bladder? ( I believe that's what you said.)

Does anyone ever hear from Ariel or Barbara? How are they doing? Good I hope.

Well for the new people I hope good luck comes you way and you don't have to go through this for long.

Everybody take care. God bless.

Kim
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Fistula

THANK YOU ALL!

I am so glad I found this website and wished I'd found it before my hysterectomy (I was terrified). I have had so many responses. You are all great and supportive.

I am still in the diapers and see the doctor for a surgery date on Thursday.

I am bothered about this supra-pubic catheter. I don't know why, I just don't need another tube coming out of my body. I am scared because last time I had surgery my blood was so low I needed to have 3 transfusions. They tested my blood Oct 15 it was 139. My surgery Nov 1, they didn't realize I was bleeding so much (had my period all the time) and after surgery my blood count was down to 60.

To make matters worse, a bit of blood pooled between the incision and staples so when I sat up I started to gush (or it looked like that) scared the hell out of the nurses and me too.

Anyway, thank you all so much

Sherry xoxoxox

p.s. You are all in my prayers
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:38 PM
fistula surgery

Hello, my friends!

I just want to say that anyone who reads your posts will know what wonderful, caring women you all are!

I am back from my pre-op testing-it took forever because my EKG is always wacky and they have to get the anesthiaoligist(sp) sign-off to approve the surgery. They took an hour to get the last one I had to compare the two. I'm now hoping I don't get a call saying I have a UTI...

My dd will post on Wednesday after my surgery. Her name is Laura and she's a sweetheart(she's expecting my 3rd grandchild in July)

Thanks again ALL of you-I appreciate those of you who've had "the fix" hanging in there with us. Your support and knowledge means so much.

I'll check back in before my surgery!

Louise
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:05 PM
fistula surgery

Louise,

I am so happy that you are still on target for your surgery Weds. I will be thinking of you and praying for your sucess.

I am feeling great and just trying to catch up on work and building this new house. I am reading your post daily to see how
everyone is doing, which is good lately.

MaryJulia, Very glad things have turned out so well for you. I know that it has been a long journey and your good attitude has helped you heal I am sure.

Joce, you need to get better soon with that cold. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids, I don't mean gin!!!

Terry, Glad you are seeing your light!! I know how hard that is sometimes when you are in so much pain. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Sherry, So glad you found us. Seems like we have been together for such a long time. You couldn't ask to be in a better place for information and support. Let us know when we can help?

Anita, I hope you are doing OK. Are all your fistula's healed?

Kim, Sorry you had a hard time with the super-pubic, mine was no problem compared to the other one. Having two was just a lot of work to keep up. Glad to see you are doing better too.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. I will continue to pray for all of you to have good health.

Barbara
Unread 01-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Fistula

Hi !

Louise - my VERY best wishes to you as you have your surgery. I will be thinking about you all day. I pray that God will guide your surgeon's hands.

Welcome Sherry !! Glad that you found us.

MJ, Hans, Barbara - Thanks for checking up on me!!!!!. You guys are the best. No, I have not found anyone with a rectovaginal fistula. I'm seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks. I need this resolved soon, as I can't continue very much longer like this.
I am so drained from fighting infections, antibiotics and stress.

Kim and Terry - You guys sound great !!! Glad that things are getting better.

You guys are awesome !!!

Anita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register