New here: Looking for opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here: Looking for opinions New here: Looking for opinions

Unread 01-04-2003, 08:18 AM
New here: Looking for opinions

Hello! I will be 37 next week and had a hysteroscopy resection for removal of 2 fibroids and a lap. looking for endo (which was found on the ligaments supporting the uterus and behind my right ovary which has what he called a blood clot on it: endometrioma?; the left ovary is totally healthy) on November 15. My doctor did not do anything to remove any endo. When I went back to for my post-op appt, that's when he hit me with the Lupron story. I agreed to try it and set up an appt. for my first injection. In the meantime, I did a lot of research on it and found some great websites, including this one, and decided I didn't think it would be for me, when most of the things I read weren't very positive as far as any relief. Why suffer thru all the side efffects to only have the pain come back, if it ever left at all. So, I cancelled my appt and sceduled one for this coming Monday (6th) to discuss any other options he may have for me besides the Lupron.

It seems to me that the only choice for a cure is a hyst. What I am wondering is if a partial does anything to relieve endo since it is estrogen driven. If you leave the ovaries, aren't you still producing estrogen? I just don't know if it would be wise to do a total at 37 and go on HRT so young. To be honest, I know he's going to resist the idea totally because he keeps bringing up the "restoring fertility" thing. I have told him repeatedly that my husband and I have been married for 16 years and we made a joint decision before we ever married that we didn't want children. That has not changed.

Any help or opinions for options anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to reading your responses.
Christi45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2003, 03:55 PM
New here: Looking for opinions

Hi Christi,

While some people view a hyst as the "cure" for endo, in reality even a hyst is no guarantee that the endo will be gone forever. And this is true even if your ovaries are removed. Some ladies have recurrances of endo, even after their uterus and ovaries are removed.

In terms of treatments for endo ... bc pills are prescribed in many cases, particularly in young women trying to preserve their fertility. Laparoscopic surgery to remove the endo is also used in some cases, especially when there are fertility or severe pain issues. Lupron is another treatment that is used ... some ladies get good relief and don't suffer too much from menopausal symptoms. Other ladies are truly miserable on Lupron and some report long-lasting effects from being on the Lupron. Lupron is a temporary treatment ... not a cure. A hyst is generally viewed as a last resort and once was viewed as the definitive treatment for an endo cure. But ... it is now known that endo can recur.

You are wise to be reading, researching and asking questions. Even if you are not concerned about preserving fertility, a hyst is major surgery, there are risks, and some ladies have long-lasting consequences from having had a hyst. The ovary issue is also very tricky ... normally you would want to preserve your ovaries if they are healthy. But many ladies with endo are advised to have their ovaries removed and not take any estrogen supplements for several months in an effort to suppress any possible endo remnants that were missed during surgery. The gyns do not agree on this ... some of them put their patients on estrogen right after surgery. And some of these ladies do just great and don't have a recurrance. Others are not so fortunate

I had a TAH/BSO about a year ago, primarily due to severe stage 4 endo. It was not an easy decision and I knew there was a possibility I would have a recurrance ... even after all the surgery I had done (peritoneal stripping in addition to the TAH/BSO) and after staying off estrogen for several months. So far, I'm doing great. But I know how lucky I am. There are no guarantees and both my surgeons told me that they could not guarantee that the endo would never return.

Soooo ... keep reading and asking questions. Weigh your options carefully. We'll support you, whatever you decide. Being as informed as possible is a great plus ... better to know the possibilities in advance. Best of luck!

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register