Question About Sleeping After Tah Post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question About Sleeping After Tah  Post-op Question About Sleeping After Tah Post-op

Unread 01-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Question About Sleeping After Tah Post-op

HELLO LADIES,

I HAVE A SMALL QUESTION. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD TROUBLE SLEEPING AFTER A TAH?

I AM A SIDE SLEEPER. AND I WAS WONDERING HOW LONG BEFORE YOU WERE ABLE TO TURN ON YOUR SIDE AFER SURGERY? I AM TO HAVE A BIKINI CUT. IT SHOULDN'T MATTER THAT MUCH I KNOW. I DON'T SLEEP WELL NOW SO NOT REALLY SURE WHY I WAS THINKING ABOUT IT. JUST WONDERING.
LITLEBITTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2003, 06:58 PM

Hi

I am a tummy sleeper myself...But I found that I needed to sleep on my back at first..............You will know what feels right to you........

s
Unread 01-04-2003, 07:10 PM

LittleBitty, I'm a side sleeper, too. I found that if I packed enough small pillows or folded towels or part of a blanket under my side and in front of my tummy, I had no problem or pain sleeping on my side. I even did it while still in the hospital.

Good luck with your surgery! You're smart to get answers to important questions ahead of time. Sleep is important, and you're going to be doing a lot of it, or at least resting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2003, 07:31 PM

Hi, I was able to turn on one side while still in the castle. I recovered in the guest bed at home, so I would have plenty of room. Used lots of pillows around me and under my legs. Whatever felt good at the time! Now, at six weeks, I still can't get on my tummy real well, but can do it. I guess I slept mostly on my back at first though. Moved back in to my "home bed" at two weeks and was fine. Even with two small dogs cuddling into me! And Dh of course. Beth
Unread 01-04-2003, 10:35 PM
I had a little trouble

I too, sleep on my side.

I would have to say it was nearly a week before it was comfortable again.
Sleeping

Hi! I'm a side sleeper too. Mostly because my lower back starts to ache if I lay on my back too long. I was on my back most of the day of surgery. Surprisingly my back didn't bother me I guess 'cause of the pain meds. I was able to sleep on my side that first night of surgery - thank God! Yes, lots of pillows definitely help. I used a pillow under my legs while on my back and between my legs while on my side. What was really nice was the adjustable mattress at the hospital. I kept the leg part raised the whole time I was there except for when I got up to use the bathroom. It was definitely a relief for my back. The bed rails were also a big help so I could situate myself comfortably on my side. It also helps to use a pillow behind you while on your side so you won't tilt backwards. Hope this helps. Good luck.
I had a little trouble

I too, sleep on my side.

I would have to say it was nearly a week before it was comfortable again.
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:02 AM
side sleeping

It took me about 4 weeks to be able to sleep on my sides....I slept with a body pillow for 6 weeks. Since I live at home the first 10 days I slept in my parents bed (hard and uncomfy), finally decided to tackle the stairs and found my bed a welcome thing with it's pillowtop mattress. But, even now at 3 months post op I still am not comfy flat on my stomach yet. I wake up sore when I sleep flat on my stomach. Your body is in charge and will let you know what you can and can't do. Listen to it !
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:32 AM

Hi! I am a side sleeper too. When I woke up in the castle, they had pillows on both sides of me and one under each leg. I had incredible back pain so shuffling to my side helped. I used the end of a standard pillow when I came home. Just put the corner under my tummy just enough to get it in the "right" position. I slept on my side every night!
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:16 AM

I was on my side in the castle, too. Girl, one of those long body pillows works great! (And they are only like $10 at Mervyn's and probably available at Target and Walmart.) Lay it right next to you like it was a person, turn sideways, bend you upper leg at the knee and rest it on top of the pillow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register