Am I nuts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Am I nuts?

I have never posted on a message board before but this is so important. A friend told me about your wonderful site. I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.
I had a partial (uterus only) hysterectomy in 1995 at the age of 25. Almost immediately I started having problems with my libido and my breasts started swelling and hurting like I have never experienced before. My skin was also breaking out so bad it hurt and I started feeling more depressed. My doctor told me I was fine and that my hormones weren't a factor. Flash forward 8 years and things are worse. I have had a few hot flashes, my hair is coming out in small handfuls and I have heart "flutter". Mood swings are driving my hubby nuts (not to mention the months in between sex) and I'm tired all the time. I've been to 3 different doctors who all have told me since I have my ovariesand am only 32 it can't be that- I must be depressed and tell me to see a psychiatrist. I am literally at the end of my rope. Am I nuts or has someone else been through anything like this? PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Am I nuts?

Hi Angie and welcome to HysterSisters! I'm glad you found us, and sorry you're having so much trouble.

Has your DR done a blood test to ensure that your ovaries are in fact still working? Many ladies who've had hysterectomies and retained their ovaries have found that they've gone into premature menopause within a few years after their surgery. This could be what you're experiencing, and it's easy enough to check. Another thing you can do is to use the basal body temperature method to see if you're ovulating. Here's a link to a description of how to do it:

How to tell if ovaries are working

If you find that your ovaries are no longer functioning, you can consider yourself officially menopausal even if you are still young! In that case, you will probably want to consult a DR about hormone replacement. Even if your symptoms weren't bad (and it sounds like they are getting pretty uncomfortable), you can lose a lot of bone mass by not replacing lost estrogen at a young age.

If you go to the top of the page, open the window that says "More Hyster Sisters!" and go down and click on Hormone Pulldown, and then click GO, you will find a lot of helpful information about hormones and symptoms that might guide you in figuring out what's going on.

I'm glad your friend sent you to us... tell her thanks for us!
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Am I nuts?

Nope Angie your not nuts!!! S Just because your ovaries were not removed does not mean that they have not failed. Actually ovarian failure after removal of the uterus is not all that uncommon. I cannot remember the stats but at the 5 year mark the rate of failure was rather high in women whom had their uterus' removed. Has something to do with the blood supply to the ovaries being cut off during the surgery and removal of the uterus.
I would ask, no, demand that hormone tests be done to check your levels. I cant see what harm a doctor could see in performing the tests to rule out ovarian failure. At least it would determine one of you to be right . Another thing to ask for would be to have your thryoid function checked. Not just a TSH test but a full thyroid panel to check the complete function of your thyroid. This would include a TSH, Free T4, Total T4, Total T3 and RT3. A thyroid antibodies screen would not hurt either.

The symptoms you list could be caused by ovarian failure leading into menopause or thyroid failure/malfunction. The symptoms for both are very similar and sometimes very hard to tell apart.

If one doc is not willing to listen, move on to the next. Educate yourself and go in with both barrels loaded. Docs find it hard to poo poo a well educated woman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Am I nuts?

Thanks so much for the info. One doctor did a test that showed I'm not menopausal but wouldn't check all my levels. He said the test showed my ovaries were still producing estrogen. That's where it stops. None of the doctors will check anything else.
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Am I nuts?

Have you considered asking your primary care doc to send you out to a reproductive endocrinologist? Most of them are familiar with the hormone end and can also test and treat any endocrine disorder such as thyroid going on. Just an
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Am I nuts?

I actually found a female endocrinologist the other day. It's an ordeal to get in to see her and with no insurance will take some saving but that's tops on my to do list for sure! One of my doctors had me on thyroid meds for about 6 months. It didn't stop anything but the fatigue, depressed moods and headaches but at least it was doing something! About 3 months ago I started having the fatigue and headaches again so he just took me off of it. No adjusting the meds or anything. Just told me not to take it anymore. How could I need it and then not need it? I've since gained 7 pounds and am so tired! That's why I'm here. I'm starting to worry that the doctors are right and I'm wrong about it being hormones, but how could that be?
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Am I nuts?

Well if you had a thyroid condition and needed treatment then you probably still do. While the thryoid meds will correct some of the problem it will not correct it all if there is a hormone deficiency going on also. For those of us that have other conditions going on along with the hormone troubles it can be very hard to get our balance back and it requires a doc that is almost a saint as far as patience and willingness to work with you goes. There are some great docs out there and sometimes it takes trial and error to find them and with no insurance that is certainly not the way you would want to go.
Is there anyone around, maybe a mom, aunt, co-worker or friend that has gone through menopause that could recommend a good doc that is experienced in the world of hormones? Where are you located? You might consider posting a question in the neighborhood section for your state asking if there is anyone who can make a recommendation for a good hormone doc in your area. Also, if you have a compounding pharmacy locally, they normally know the names of the top hormone docs in the area and normally will readily give you some to check out. Might be a cheaper alternative to the endocrinologist as I know they are expensive to say the least.

Also, if the thryoid med fixed some of the problem then you may want to explore that further. Sometimes there may be a conversion problem going on or something that might need further attention. I know my body was alittle slow on converting the T4 (levothyroxine) and my doc added some T3 to boost up my levels. That gave me back some of my energy but was not a total fix and I had to go back and work on my hormones to get to pre-hyst health and energy.
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:03 AM
ANGIE !!

Hi.

You sound like exactly what I was going through. D
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:10 AM
ANGIE !!! take two !

Hi.... You sound like exactly what I was going through . I was depressed all the time. Breasts hurt like h*ll. Tired. no energy. I had bad pain.. it got so bad I couldn't have bowel movements anymore. GYN. told me he wanted to go in and take my ovaries (had uterus removed in 1998) was cut open again Dec. 19th 2002 and he removed alot of adhesions and my ovaries. He told my Hubby my case was a challenge for him. My adhesions were all the way up to my ribs. my Ovaries were stuck to my colon... intestines.. and my abdominal wall.
Since my surgery I feel TONS better. Sex is better than ever. I can't get enough. and I can actually tell when I have a "O" . Hubby loves it too !

definatly get checked out.... it was well worth my time.

PS... I can have bowel movememnts again. And I am sooo happy. Its the little things that count

Take care !
Brandie

Unread 01-06-2003, 09:03 AM
Am I nuts?

It's so nice to hear from other women with experience in these matters. I've felt so alone since none of my friends or family have had any problems like mine. Makes it hard to find someone to talk to. It's so hard to keep faith in our medical system when it won't listen to you...
What's worse is when the people you're close to think it's all in your mind, too. But I'm a firm believer that not even a doctor can know your body as well as you do. I'm not going to give up until I find a doctor that will help. Thanks to your nice posts I'm even more determined and have a renewed hope that soon I'll feel 32 and my husband will be a happy man again!
Please keep the posts coming, especially you ladies out there who are my age. You are the ones I need most to prove that I'm not alone-it CAN happen to women my age...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register