low blood count | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

low blood count low blood count

Unread 01-07-2003, 09:01 PM
low blood count

I went for the first day of my 3rd round of chemo and they almost didn't give it to me because my white blood count was very low, but the doctor said go ahead and after this round i will have to have a neupogen shot every day. Has anyone ever had them? Do they have side effects? The Dr. said I could give myself the shot at home if I don't want to come in every day. I don't know if i have the guts to do that. This round is hitting me harder. I am very tired, an a bit disoriented. i went grocery shopping and put the milk in someones elses cart! I seem to retain much of the fluid they give me with the chemo. My eyes are all puffy an my wedding ring which is usually loose won't budge. Has anyone else exerienced that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2003, 09:34 PM
low blood count

I had neupogen shots and they were not bad. I had some bone pain in my legs, but not anything too difficult.
I went in and had the nurses give me the shots. If you do them yourself, make sure to warm the syringe up in your hands first!
I was glad to take the shots as I didn't want to drag the chemo out any longer than necessary. Good luck!
Unread 01-07-2003, 09:41 PM
low blood count

s Debbie

I never needed neupogen shots, but many ladies posting here have.
Hopefully, neupogen will cause you minimal discomfort.
I did have to inject myself with a blood thinning medicine for awhile as I waited for my surgery. I'm sure they will give you excellent instructions and you will find it relatively easy. It doesn't hurt as you would imagine.
Let me know how it goes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2003, 03:01 AM
low blood count

Hi Debbie,
I didn't have the neupogan shots, but I certainly can relate to the puffy eyes, fingers, and disconnected feeling. I had the cisplatin as well for multiple day treatments, along with 2 other drugs and it started to affect me the second round as well.

I used to go in by about day 3 or 4 and say to the nurse..."what is wrong with my face"....its all puffy"? And I got the usual, "well, chemo affects everyone differently".
I actually jumped a ring size by the time I was finished with my treatments. Some of us also experienced some numbness in our fingers and toes as well, but with 3 day treatments hopefully it won't be something you have to deal with. My fingers are now completely fine, but I still have some numbness in my toes, and may always have it they said. I am used to it now, and don't really notice it.

That disconnected feelilng is just awful. I had it quite badly. It truly took me a full week after my week of chemo to feel normal again. With multiple day treatments as we had, its alot of chemo going through us and I guess thats why it seems to linger for us.

I sailed through the first round, and my symptoms like yours, started coming on with the second round. It all goes away when you finish them though , if thats any consolation Debbie! You truly will feel better again! Hang in there!! Remember we're here for ya as best we can be!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
low blood count

(((Debbie)))

I'm just popping in to to send some 's and good thoughts your way. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Unread 01-08-2003, 02:42 PM
low blood count

{{Debbie}},
Keep hanging in there. I know you can do it.
Love you,
Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register