Time off of work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time off of work Time off of work

Unread 01-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Time off of work

Went to DR yesterday. I asked him if I could possibly get next week off of work. My surgery (TAH/BSO) is not until January 20th, but I am so incredibly tired & in constant pain. So, DR said yes, that he'd like me to be rested up. So, he wrote out a disability form, but has me off until March 3rd. Is this much time off after this surgery necessary? I don't do much physical work, basically sit, answer phones & radios (911 dispatcher). I think I would like the time off, but don't think can really afford it.

What do you ladies think. DR being cautious?

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Time off of work

Michelle,
I'm in week 3, and have decided to take all the time the doc gives me. Although we all heal differently, there is a basic need for 6 to 8 weeks before full time work. My high light of the day today was going to walmart for a walk. (indoors, where it's warm and dry) I lasted about an hour, with a stop in furnature to check out the recliner, and two stops in the garden shop to check out the lawn chairs. At three weeks, I still ache most of the time and have the occasional sharp twinge, too, although I have stopped the pain meds except at night. Exhaustion is also a big factor, and it really does take time to build up your stamina again.
Good luck, hope this helps
Unread 01-09-2003, 05:03 AM
Time off of work

Hi

If your doctor said you need that much time off, then take it, please. I returned to work full time at 4-1/2 weeks after a TAH and wish I would have not been so anxious. I am an office manager in a small office and mostly sit or stand too. Sitting is an activity too. I was so exhausted by the afternoon I wanted to leave work but stuck it out and stayed until 5 pm. The fatigue level is leaving more and more every day but really could have used at least another 2 weeks off. You only have one chance to heal properly and please heed that. You may feel healed but internally it will take 6 to 12 months to be fully healed. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery and here is a great big for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Hi Michelle,

Six to eight weeks is the usual initial recovery period from a hysterectomy, especially a TAH. (I say initial recovery because total recovery takes from 6 months to a year.) Remember, this is major surgery, and you'll have hundreds of stitches which need to heal. You need that time to rest and let your body heal properly.

I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks, four hours a day for the first three days, then back to full-time at 6 weeks. I had a sit-down job too, and thought I was ready. But I had extreme discomfort with sitting for the first week, something I thought I had left behind in my 4th week. And I was exhausted when I got home every afternoon. (And I was in pretty good shape before surgery!)

Your doctor knows what is involved in this surgery. Please follow his advice and don't do anything that might jeopardize your recovery, or you could end up being out of work even longer.

Remember, you only get one chance to heal properly. Life and work will still be there when you're ready to rejoin them.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa
Unread 01-09-2003, 09:38 AM
TAKE TIME OFF

I too have a "desk" job, but we all know that we are not in a chair for 8 hours straight! I was off for 8 full weeks, went back on a Thursday (start of pay period), and was I ever glad the weekend came up! I needed it. You don't realize how much getting up and down affects a body. Take the full time. We only have this chance to heal and heal correctly. You don't want to have to take time off again later.
Unread 01-09-2003, 09:43 AM
911 dispatcher, people are really depending on you

to keep them safe from harm and protect their lives, so my honest answer is take the full six weeks if not more. While your job may not be physically demanding, it is one that requires strong mental acuity, and no one can tell you what you are going to be like at this point in your recovery. Fatigue and brain fog, not going to be the best you can be if these symptoms arise later And I would imagine job stress is high with this type of job.

Your choice of course. Just my perspective, do what you think is best.
Unread 01-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Time off of work

It will all depend on you... my supervisor told me pre-surgery that she came back to work after 4 wks.

At 4 wks I was still barely getting around well. I was supposed to go back after 6 wks but I'm actually going to ask for another 2 wks off (not that I can afford it) but I just can't imagine going back to my previous schedule in little over a week. I'm going to take our sisters advice here and take the time to heal now so as not to cause myself problems later on!
Unread 01-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Take it SLOW!!!!

I was also out of work for 10 days prior to my surgery due to pain and HEAVY bleeding and I used the time as best I could to "prepare" for the upcoming few months. Please listen when everyone says to take your time. With my Doctor's blessing and my Boss's screaming, I stayed out for 7 weeks, also returning on a Thursday. I was fortunate as I returned December 19th so my first three weeks were short ones. Tomorrow I complete my first full week back and I actually am hurting. Having a desk job doesn't mean just sitting around, the up and down is actually what gets me.

I am looking forward to the weekend so much, but UGH those pesky Christmas decorations must come down. They look so great when they go up, but it is definately time to reverse clean up. Take it slow, Take your own sweet time, cause once you return to the "normal" rat race, everything else comes along with it. I know for me the only cushion I still have is asking others to lift for me. Pretty much others see you as "well enough to work" so you are well enough to do everything. Best of luck.....

As always, I hope everyone feels better today than they did yesterday.
Unread 01-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Time off of work

Michelle,

Please, please take all the time off that Dr. is telling you. The normal recovery period for a hyst is 6-8wks and some women need longer.

This is a major surgery. You have to remember you will have tons of internal stitches and an abdominal incision that takes time to heal. You may feel OK after 3-4wks but it is very important to rest and relax. You only have 1 chance to heal properly and if you try and push it you may end up causing damage that isn't necessary. You also have to keep in mind that sitting for long periods of time can also cause pressure and pulling on the healing that's trying to take place on your incision and internally.

I can certainly understand the need to work because of finances but you have to remember that if you return to soon it can cause a major setback requiring you to be out a lot longer than you originally anticipated.

Please feel free to come into the chat room. The ladies in there are great and have a great deal of experience and knowledge.

s
Unread 01-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Time off of work

Hi!
I would definitely recommend taking all the time off that your doctor recommends. I had a TAH/kept ovaries on 10/15/02. I was scheduled to be off work 6 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately for me, I was nowhere near ready to go back at that point. I was not having any known "complications", but I still had alot of swelling and pain. I sit in front of my computer at work 8 hours per day except for one 30 minute lunch break, we are not allowed any other breaks. However, for me, sitting was the hardest part due to my incision really bothered me. I wound up going back at 8 weeks. One week you might feel great and then BAM...the next week you might be very run down and sore. This recovery is so different for everyone...and can be unpredictable from day to day/week to week. Please be a very good and take the time off that your doctor provides. You'll be glad you did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register