Progesterone v progestin - to keep uterine ca away! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Progesterone v progestin - to keep uterine ca away! Progesterone v progestin - to keep uterine ca away!

Unread 01-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Progesterone v progestin - to keep uterine ca away!

Hi ladies!

I posted about this before, but only received one reply. I had 1a endometrial ca, total hyst in June 2001 followed by six weeks radiation, 36 hrs internal radiation. Dr. put me on Megace 40mg - apparently keeps endo ca cells from attaching to other organs, just in case there's still some floating around in there. Stayed on it for most of a year, but was a bit crazy - felt like I was crawling out of my skin, and the mood swings - other side effects as well. Seemed that my quality of life wasn't all that great, so I went off the megace and purchased natural progesterone cream.

My question: Has anyone else had these manifestations with Megace? I was only taking 40mgs, and even tried taking it every other day, but it was still creating problems. Lowered to 20mgs q2days, and the craziness continued.

Feels good to be "sane" again, however, of course, I do worry about the cancer returning. Oh, I didn't mention, a drop of ca was found outside the uterus on top of my right ovary, and the radiation was to be sure it was gone, as I still had some endometriosis left in on the right side.

Any suggestions will be muchly appreciated, beloved ones!

MindyLeigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2003, 05:29 AM

Hi Mindyleigh,

I do not take Megace, but have heard form others that it causes the symptoms you mentioned and also weight gain. I do not take steriods with my chemo because they cause insomnia and make me feel like I'm going crazy. What does your doctor say?
Unread 01-11-2003, 11:59 AM

Mindy
Why did your doc feel you needed all the treatments for a stage 1a endo ca? I had endo ca stage 1a and my onc/gyn and gyn and everything I have researched say that standard treatment is surgery with routine follow ups. Was your cell type agressive? This has me very curious and also ??ing my own treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2003, 01:17 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm sticking with the natural progesterone cream for now, but plan on asking my gyn surgeon his opinion (can we ever have enough opinions?). I like and trust him, and his brother is a gyn - onc, so.... My gyn onc wants me to stay on the Megace. Haven't asked him directly about natural progesterone, and won't be seeing him until March. Chris5 - don't worry, my endo ca was OUTSIDE my uterus, on top of my right ovary. Usually when it's contained within the organ, the treatment is just surgery, however in my case, as the ca was outer, and there was endometriosis left in on my right side, the gyn-onc wanted to be very aggressive, in case ca cells were floating around in there. Follow up is five years, and I just don't believe I'd have any relationships left if I continued on the Megace that long! Whew! Being off of it has returned my sanity, however I'm still in a slight quandary about just what I must do to keep it from re-visiting. I'm going to take the advise of my gyn - surgeon, whatever it may be. Chris, talk to your Dr. if you have ANY concerns, really, communication is oh so very important in situations like ours!

Take care, everyone! You're in my thoughts and prayers. Mindy
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:19 PM

Mindy I had endo cancer, everything removed, no treatment. I asked my gyn about progesterone cream. I said he didn't like the idea. He said studies are being done about progesterone being the culprit in causing cancer. I was on estrogen alone(i was uninformed) for 2 years(would like to HURT that Dr.) I feel this is what caused my endo cancer. I'm tuffing it out with vitamins and my gyn suggested Remefemin.
Unread 01-13-2003, 05:35 PM

What is remefemen? Do you know how it works? Studies tend to drive me crazy. What I've read lately seems to lean towards progesterone preventing cancer. Of course, we now know that excessive estrogen causes endo ca. Would be nice to have something else I could take to be more certain that it won't return.
Unread 01-14-2003, 04:38 AM

Mindy,Remifemin is a regulated dose of Black Cohosh. He said it may take 2 to 3 months for it to help with menopausal symptoms. You can buy it at Walmart. As far as your question about Megace, I don't have any knowledge about it.
I just know it has been very frustrating finding things to help me through this time. You take one thing and a report comes out that is could be bad for you. :hair: Right now I'm doing what my Dr. tells me. Good Luck, Candy
Unread 01-14-2003, 07:30 AM

Mindy
My gyn said no to hrt but yes to progesterone.....if it helped with symptoms. She never said anything about it being a benefit for keeping endo ca away. She did say that there are some studies going on and they may indicate that progesterone can cause breast problems, even possibly breast ca....I have noticed when I use it I get sore breasts after a couple weeks.....and when I stop the soreness goes away. I only use it occasionally if I am having trouble sleeping.
It is so hard to know what to do......My onc/gyn wants me to do estrogen.....said there was no reason at my age and with a stage 1 endo ca that I shouldn't, but my gyn of 20 yrs says no for at least 2 years.....There also seems to be a real wide range of opinions among most of the medical community on this subject.
My gyn did prescribe the Estring (I havent filled it yet) to keep everything healthy down below....She said it is such a low dose that it would not go systamatic because it would be absorbed totally just for vaginal health.
Has your doc said anything about using estrogen creme or the Estring?
Unread 01-14-2003, 04:12 PM

Hello Ladies,

I just returned from my visit to my Gyn/Onc. I had a rare endometrial tumor (malignant) that was found AFTER my TAH/BSO.
Sailed through Surgery and recieved the call a week later. My Gyn referred me to a wonderful Gyn/Oncologist. The hysterectomy is the only treatment recommended with MRI's every 6 months. I am on no Estrogen and not having any problems, in fact, I feel better off of it. The reason I am writing, is he told me some women choose to take Megace if they are having symptoms from no Estrogen, and that there were some studies that showed that it might prevent cancer from spreading, but the side effects of the Megace are not pleasant. He described mood swings and depression as the two worst. I asked "Do you think, in your opinion I should take it?" and he replied No. Hope this helps your dilema. In my humble opinion, a good mood/attitude and strong Faith is more important than some studies that seem to change all the time.
Not a Dr., just been to one!
Unread 01-14-2003, 06:52 PM

Hi, Mindy!
I am on Megace (Megestrol) 20 mg daily. I have not experienced the same symptoms as you have described. When I am sad, most often it is life's stressors for me....don't think it's the Megace.

Megace is a progestin and is known to be an anti-tumor agent. I would definately take your questions to your doctor the next time you go. If he encourages you to take the Megace again, maybe you could even start at 10 mg and see how that feels.

Megace is sometimes used for people who are wasting away from some other malidy (sp?) to help their apetite. Which is why some of us gain weight on it as it is also an apetite stimulant. I have to work extra hard at exercising to ward off my great apetite!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register