Help please, I did not get much response of other board so I'm trying this one | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help please, I did not get much response of other board so I'm trying this one Help please, I did not get much response of other board so I'm trying this one

Unread 01-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Help please, I did not get much response of other board so I'm trying this one

My husband had to take me to the ER 12/21 because I was hurting so bad and the pressure in my pelvic was tremendous. They did a CT Scan which showed multiple cysts on my right ovary. They gave me some pain medicine and told me to call the GYN Monday to get an appointment. Well to add to my misery the pain medicine (demeral) gave me a migrane and I was throughing up. My husband and I finally got that under control. I got an appointment on 12/27 to review the results and they put me on some progesterone to shrink the cysts.

Well I had to go back to the DR today because I am hurting worse and a pelvic exam showed that the cysts are a lot bigger. So they have put me on a hormone called Ageston to hopefully shrink the cysts. I go for a pelvic ultrasound Monday (ouch) and back to the DR for results on Wednesday. If the cysts do not start shrinking or go away then I need to consider having the ovary removed. The course of action then would be to give me a depot shot in the hospital and continue that until I start having menopause symptoms and then start adding back estrogen.

I am so disheartened becasue all of my cyst problems were always on the left side, that is why we (me, husband and DR) decided to remove it in July. Then because of bleeding problems I had my uterus and cervix removed in October. He wanted to take my other ovary but because I have never had cysts/problems with my right ovary I wanted to keep it, he told me then that it would probably need to be taken out later but hopefully it would last 2-3 year. Well looks like it did'nt, but I not given up yet which is why I am trying these new hormones. UGH...this is so frustrating!!!!

On top of all this my nerve (that is what my dr thinks) is really bothering me bad. My lower back, lower stomack and pelvic and my leg hurt so bad I can hardly stand it. My husband said today, "honey have you noticed that when it is damp or cold your back, stomack and leg bother you worse".

There are so many emotions running through my body right now. I am relieved there is nothing seriously wrong but also disappointed with the continued problems. I thought everything would be better by now.

Does anyone else have any of these problem? I would love to hear from you... Kristi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Hug's to You Kristi!!!

Great Big 's and coming your way right this minute Kristi!!!

Sorry to hear you are in so much misery and that you didn't get a response on the "other board"....

I don't have an answer for you either sweetie, but know you are not alone in this. We are all here for you, hoping an answer will be yours soon.

I'm having a host of problems myself with bladder, lower back pain, and now a suspicious something in my left breast which will be biopsied on Thursday.

So, know we are here if you need a shoulder, if you need to talk, or just to connect with someone....

I'm sending you lots of good wishes and strength to get through this! Keep us posted on how things go...

Lori
Unread 01-11-2003, 07:40 PM

Kristi,

You are in my ers! 's &

Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi Kristi,

's....I'm sorry that I can't give you any definite answers to your problems but I can share with you MY experience.

A hysterectomy is a multi faceted procedure, I'm sure that I dont need to tell you that but what most women arent told is that the blood supply to any remaining ovary is altered and sometimes this alteration goes well and sometimes it can cause problems with the ovary. According to my DR it is a 50/50 thing. I just posted on a thread about this on the post-op board.

I had my TAH in June and just like you, I continued to have pain in the left region (where my only remaining ovary was located). For me, the pain started (resumed) at 3 weeks post-op, my DR tried the hormone adjustment things....(depo-provera) and that just seemed to make things worse. Turned out that I had to go back into surgery to have the ovary removed and while I am at 4+ weeks post-op, I am still experiencing a good degree of pain (hernia repair also) but it does seem to be getting better instead of worse. Thank the Lord.

I also had the hurting "all over" the back, sides,left leg, pelvis etc., in my case it turned out to be extensive amounts of adhesions that had to be removed. Adhesions had never crossed my mind since I really hadn't had much work done on that side.

It sounds as if your Dr is doing a good job of being "on top" of things..............I only tell you this out of experience............Dr's tend to want to take the "wait and see" approach when it comes to cysts, which is fine.....IF......at the same time they are also monitoring the size and type of the cysts. Ask specific questions of your dr after each ultrasound (the US tech won't be able to give you this info), and WRITE them down.....what size is the cyst today? Is it filled with clear fluid? (a simple cyst) or is it filled with blood? (a complex cyst), know what is going on with your body.

Im my case....at first, I didnt ask these questions, I just took the dr's word. When it finally came down to it......my cyst which was filled with blood components grew to a whopping 10cm (softball size) with a mass of adhesions surrounding it to make up a total of 18cm (the size of a canteloupe).(just got my path report back) Keep in mind that in my case, this started with one doc "keeping an eye on it" and after a while I decided to get a second opinion and this was the result. BUT ........the moral of the story is....had I been more informed about what was going on I could have made better decisions for myself.....by the time I found my second opinion it was a much bigger ordeal, had this cyst been removed earlier instead of "waiting and seing" it could have been removed laproscopically which would have been alot less traumatic, as it was I had to undergo another abdominal incison which had to be extended and another MAJOR operation. Located directly behind the cyst was a hernia, whether this hernia was caused by the large cyst or whether the hernia had been there all along and was the cause of my pain is still up for debate.

I'm certainly not intending to scare you, and I'm sure my case is one of very few, but KNOW what is going on and seek a second opinion. YOU are the best advocate in your health care. Ask questions, be informed!

I hope that you are able to get answers soon and I hope that your next US goes well and that these cysts are resolving themselves. (which is often the case). Please let us know what you find out. Lots of 's for you.

Dawn
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:36 PM
A little more information...

I had my Ultrasound on Monday and then my follow up dr appt. Wednesday. After being on the Prometrium (prgrestian hormone) for two weeks the cysts (3 cysts 3cm each) have not gotten bigger but also have not gotten smaller. My dr doubled my Prometrium and wants to see me in two weeks. He said he does not want to do surgery unless it is absoulutely nesessary because I have had three surgeries since July.

My dr is so nice and we have such a good relationship...when he walked into the patient room (after being on vacation for two weeks, so he had no idea about the problems I had been having) he said, "hey how are you doing?", I said, "not so good I have a cyst on my right ovary", he said, "no, no, no you can't, you have never had problems with that side", I said, "well, there are the results from my CT Scan two weeks ago and my Ultrasound two days ago." He could not believe it. He told me, "Kristi in all my years (25 years) of practicing GYN I have never seen a womans body just not do what it is suposed to do, your reproductive system just does not work right.", I told him he sounded like my mom, dad and husband and we both laughed. Anyway, we are going to wait another two weeks to see what happens. If the cysts do not get smaller he is going to go ahead and surgically drain the cysts since I am so uncomfortible. He said that thin women like me seem to be bothered more with cysts.

Anyway just wanted to give you all an update. I also want to clarify that I did get a few responses from the other board but wanted to see if I could get any other input. I want to make sure I get as much information as I can on my problems so I can make the best decision I can for my well being.

Thanks for all your support s

Kristi
Unread 01-12-2003, 06:26 AM

Kristi,

I'm glad that your dr is being so thorough, caring etc. I hope and pray that the next two weeks will bring you some relief.

I have something called Fibromyalgia...and I notice that I also have more pain when it is cold/damp. Try to stay warm and dry my dear.

Let us know how you are doing...S
Unread 01-12-2003, 07:45 AM

I am so sorry you are having so many problems - I know they can be frustrating. Although I haven't personally had the problem you do since I went ahead and had everything removed, I have read a large number of posts on the boards around here about sisters leaving in one ovary only to have it develop cysts. That was actually one of the reasons I decided to have everything taken so I didn't run the risk of having to have more surgery - but at my age I was already peri-menopausal so....... I hope things work out for you and I will say a special prayer for you at church this morning.

Unread 01-12-2003, 08:25 AM
I've done the agestyn and prometrium therapy for cysts

and while it is supposed to work in 10 days, sometimes it doesn't. Took 20 days of agestyn one time to resolve my cyst. I know it is frustrating and it hurts, but if it helps you keep that ovary, the patience is going to pay off.

Ovarian removal for persistant cysts sometimes is the best course of action, but there are alternatives like aspiration and cystectomy via lap. However, the alternative only fix the cysts you have, doesn't stop future cysts from developing. Is there an underlying dx like PCOS that you didn't mention in your original post?

My left ovary was my problem child for years, removed it due to adhesions in 2001. Right ovary then started being a problem since the surgeon who ligated the right tube forgot to use barrier film to prevent adhesions. The path report on the RSO said "multiple hemmorhagic cysts", so glad I went the no ovary route. AHA! Now I know why I needed painkillers just a few days before surgery.

HRT, yeah, it does take some time to get balance, less time if you are aggressive with your doc and are part of the decision/diagnosis process. Here I am at nearly 11 weeks, and I think we found the right HRT regimen for me. But it took a lot of prodding, researching, symptom journaling and changing to a new doc to get me here as fast as I got here too. Sorry, this lady ain't into suffering any more than she has too and I am very into the empowerment concept. Knowledge is power.

The menopausal symptoms can be quite intense at first, but I need to try to remember surgery fast-forwarded the process of my ovaries going into natural menopause about 10 years too. The symptoms can be managed a variety of ways. Lot of coping strategies offered right here on the HS web site.
Unread 01-12-2003, 09:57 AM

Hi Kristi I'm so very sorry you've been having such a hard time of it

I do not really have personal experience with ovarian cysts (I did have a lot of pain on the right side, last summer, and a cyst, that then busted, was "suspected" but never confirmed), however I did want to let you know that I'm sorry you're in so much pain and wanted to send healing s your way.

I also wanted to invite to the Hormore Jungle message board. Click Here to get to that forum, where you are most likely to find information regarding Hormones and Surgical Menopause.

Sending lots and lots s your way. Please let us know how you're doing.
Unread 01-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Surgery Tomorrow

Well the cysts did not go away they got bigger so they have to go and drain the cysts tomorrow. I have to be there at 10:15 and they will do a laporoscopy to drain the cyst and also see if there are any adhesions on the left side causing me all this pain. I will get a Depot-Provera shot in the recovery room. He said if I get another cyst while on the Depot shot I'll have to have the ovary removed.

Keep me in your prayers, boy I hope this is that last of my problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register