small incisional hernia repair turns into major ordeal-scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

small incisional hernia repair turns into major ordeal-scared small incisional hernia repair turns into major ordeal-scared

Unread 01-12-2003, 03:41 PM
small incisional hernia repair turns into major ordeal-scared

I've been posting occasionally on the hormone jungle board while trying to get the hormones adjusted after TAH/BSO (for bilateral endometriomas and stage 4 endo everywhere) in April 02. But now bigger problems. I went in the hospital Jan 6 for repair of a small incisional hernia which my gyne surgeon was going to take care of for me. supposedly a small 2 inch inch incision adjacent and go home that day. well i woke up and they told me that it was more extensive that they thought it would be and they had to remove the whole prior incision and had to do some repair work because of weakened fascia in the area. I am a radiation therapist so have some access to getting reports so had my dpartment request the op report for me and fax it to my house. I am outraged by what was not told to me. First wrong - it said that my post op wound infection was thought to be a contributing factor to the hernia development. I HAD NO post op wound infection. Secondly- "The omentum was examined and there were several large defects noted in the omentum secondary to where the omentum had been taken down. A decision was then made to proceed with a partial omentecomy so that no bowel could strangulate through. " Am i wrong to be upset that NO mention was made to me of this? I think I should have been told. I will be having my staples removed the end of next week and am planning on trying to ask my surgeon about this without getting hysterical. I am so furious right now . What does having an omectomy mean? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2003, 04:08 PM
yes, details are something that need to be shared with a patient

and if that means taking five minutes to explain medical terminology, then that is necessary too.

All I got so far is what Omentum means: The omentum is an apronlike double fold of fatty membrane that hangs down in front of the intestines. It contains blood vessels, nerves, lymph vessels and lymph nodes. It acts as a storage for fat and also may limit the spread of infection. Now, your op report mentioned a Partial Omenctomy, just how much was removed?

Hey, I am here for moral support if nothing else as you confront your doc on this one. I don't like having facts about my body minimized for me. And I don't like being treated like my emotions are too fragile to handle the truth either.
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:22 AM

Hi Stacey...

I am now 10 weeks post from a hernia repair and understand some of what you are going thru.

I did a search and was able to find some general info for you. MeDh gave a wonderful discription of what the omentum was but thought I'd pass this on for you. From what I'm finding, Your docs fixed some tissue that may have been interfering with your hernia or bowls....I know when I had mine they had to fix a lot of my scar from the previous surgeries I had had to which in fact includes the "omentum".

This is just info I pulled up on the web...where I can I have included the link where I got the info...Take what you can use and throw the rest away...

Quote:
Omentum is a two-layered fold of peritoneum that attaches the stomach to another viscus. The greater omentum starts at the greater curvature of the stomach and hangs down like an apron in the space between small bowel loops and the anterior abdominal wall. It is folded back upon itself and attaches to the inferior border of the transverse colon.

The greater omentum has free inferior and left and right margins, and is therefore mobile. It can wrap around an acutely inflamed appendix, limiting the extent of infection; plug the neck of a hernial sac, preventing bowel loop migration; retract to the base a gastric ulcer; and it may necroses if extensive torsion occurs.

http://www.visn1.med.va.gov/boston/r...s/case57p2.htm

Here is the definition of Omentectomy...."surgery to remove part or all of the omentum."

Anything that I come across seems to indicate that maybe ( just my interpertation" the onmentum was adhered to the hernia and the intestines and they removed part of it so as not to cause problems later.

I'll give Audrey a shout and see if she can also shed some light for you. she does work late and is usually on at 1-3 AM so it may take her till tonight to repsond and help us out here.

I do hope what I was able to find helps just a little...It doesnt' sound like anything that was bad...again it sounds like they were "fixing things" so as not to have probs later on down the road.

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2003, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the responses and answers. I feel a little calmer this morning but am still so angry he did not tell me about the omentectomy or that there were adhesions present that had to be cut down. If there were adhesions before, the likelihood of adhesions forming from this surgery are great. There are alot more questions I am planning to ask at staple removal time that i would have asked if i had this information. And I almost feel like he is using a non-existent wound infection as a cover-up for sloppy surgical technique the first time. I quess what it comes down to is I have no trust in him at this point. Also another sore point, during lab work for pre- surgery, I noticed too late that he had ordered a ca-125. I called to ask why that was ordered when i had no ovaries, and he said he made a mistake while just checking boxes,with no apology and a not nice attitude that i was questioning him
Unread 01-13-2003, 08:56 AM
I had a partial omentectomy

I had a partial omentectomy when I had my hysterectomy. I was told about it immediately and I think you should have been, too. It is a good thing to know whether you have one or not. It protects the bowel and is sometimes used in other surgeries. You can live without it, obviously, but it would come in handy right now for me because it would make hernia surgery easier and it's a lot better that I was able to tell my surgeon I didn't have one in the first place so he didn't have to find out after he made his incision and then have to regroup and replan his surgery.

I can certainly understand how you're feeling about your surgeon. This is a person you trusted with your life and I'm sure it doesn't feel good not to be treated with what you would consider to be the utmost respect that you deserve. (I think you deserve it too!!)

It does sound like the removal of the omentum was a good thing to do. But there are enough other questions there that I can understand you might not trust much of anything this guy says. If you are not totally satisfied after talking to him, at least talk to another doctor about this. I use my GP for things like that and he's pretty good about it. But doctors seeem to have this fraternity . . . .

Sorry this happened. This isn't a time when you need to be so upset. Well, maybe it is. Get that adrenaline goin' and GO, GIRL!!

Joselle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register