hormone question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hormone question... hormone question...

Unread 01-12-2003, 07:49 PM
hormone question...

Hello all!
Although I consider myself a fairly intelligent woman, I sometimes feel real stupid when I read these posts, because there are some things that I think I understand, but I'm not sure. So I guess the best thing to do is to just ask... right?
I'm having a TAH/BSO on 31 Jan. Fibroids, endo, and cysts. Infertility testing has shown my ovarian reserve to be dwindling at an exponential rate, hence my dr sees no reason in leaving anything. (However, I am going to discuss leaving my cervix at my pre-op appt).
When my ovaries are removed I will no longer have hormones hence will be thrown into menapause.. right? I was on depo-lupron for 6 months and they were a very memorable 6 months to say the least. I think I experienced many of the common "lack of hormone" symptom there is. Hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, depression, mood swings, and spur of the moment anger and rage. But I think the worst was the crying spells. I was a mess!!!!
I am scared to death that this is what I have to look forward to. I know that I will be better off after this surgery (even though I'll never be able to bear children).
Another big fear... I have a new boyfriend. We met early May 2002, spent 4 wonderful months together and he is completely aware of my medical problems and has been completely supportive. He also says that he will be there for me no matter what afterwards. In Sep 2002, he was shipped overseas (he's in the military). He is scheduled to return early March... right about my 6 weeks time period (talk about perfect timing!!!!)
I guess I'm just concerned that he is going to come back to to the wicked witch of the west. If I take HRT, does it take time to get them regulated? Do the symptoms continue until they get them right? Or is it just something I'm going to have to learn to live with.
Any similiar experience would be greatly appreciated....
Thank you all so much! You are all so very nice and kind.
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2003, 09:44 PM
okay, I am a little groggy, but going to give this my best

Removal of the ovaries equals surgical menopause. Taking what you said about low ovarian reserve, you might be a little luckier than most with HRT. And the lupron too. Your ovaries aren't producing nearly as many hormones as women with working ovaries and higher FSH levels, so it might just make your adjustment to HRT easier. might be less drastic.

It varies how long it takes to get HRT regulated. Some ladies get their HRT right in the hospital and never turn back. Other ladies use up their stored reserves of human hormones around six weeks post, have a breif hard time and then get readjusted and on their merry way. Other women try several HRTs before finding the perfect fit.

If you made your way thru infertility treatment, HRT is going to be easy to understand. You already have a good knowledge base coming into menopause. Just manipulating different hormones ths time around.

Good luck. Someone less drowsy will come along soon and add to what I just said.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register