Is it cancer or not? CINIII/CIS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it cancer or not?  CINIII/CIS Is it cancer or not? CINIII/CIS

Unread 01-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Is it cancer or not? CINIII/CIS

I am unemployed and am applying for temporary health insurance until I get a job.

I have looked on the internet and have found several sites that state CIS/CINIII is not technically cancer of the cervix but that if left untreated it has a 70% chance of turning into cervical cancer. This made me feel better but I have read alot of posts here where CIS/CINIII is referred to as cervical cancer which is really upsetting me and now I am freaking out that I won't be able to get any kind of coverage because of it.

I told my doctor I wanted a hyst, not just a cone biopsy to 'wait and see'. After my hyst she told me it was 'benign' and everything was fine. What does this mean? I know I will have to go in every few months the first year for vaginal screening and I will continue to have annual PAPs anyway but has anyone got any light to shed on this? Has anyone been through similar? I have already had one follow-up in November that was normal and I do understand that there is a very very very slight chance they could find dysplasia (which is not cancer) on my vagina but hysterectomy is pretty much a cure for CIS/CINIII.

Anyone able to share an experience with trying to get temporary coverage insurance? I only want the coverage in case of an accident (fall, broken leg, etc.)

Thanks for your input,
Patsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2003, 11:09 AM

Hi Patsy,

I brought that very same question to this board when I saw that the path report after my hyst included CIS....Carcinoma!! My dr had referred to it as a precancer with a good potential for turning into cancer. I did a lot of research and found that many dr's do consider it a precancer. I do often see it labeled as Stage 0 cancer on medical websites....the lesion has not invaded the tissue below the "skin".

I had my first bout with it 10 years before my hyst. I had a Cone and had normal paps for those 10 years. During that time I did have to take out a large life insurance policy because we owned a business. I had no problem getting that policy with this medical information included. I have often read that CIS is considered 100% curable with proper medical care.

Unread 01-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks so much for sharing!

This has weighed on me very heavily since I began thinking about obtaining health insurance on my own. Of course, my priority lies with my 6 yr. old and I know I won't have trouble insuring her but when I started toying with the idea of insurance for myself I instantly began dreading trying to obtain it. It is such a confusing area.

I meet the agent tomorrow and will know in a couple of weeks after they paw through my most personal of personal information.

Thanks again,
Patsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2003, 06:02 PM

(((Patsy)))

It is confusing at times, isn't it? Technically, even CIN III is different from CIS although they seem to be being used more interchangeably these days. And CIS is a precancerous condition, although, as EM said, they do occasionally label it as stage 0 cancer.

Yes, these cells can spread onto the vaginal wall where they are then called VaIN. Sometimes the spread occurs onto the vaginal wall from the cervix (it just keeps growing until it reaches the vaginal wall). Sometimes it finds a spot of its own and grows, which is what happened to me. When they went in to do my LEEP, they found a patch growing all by itself near the vaginal entrance and growing up the posterior wall. They needed to remove that part of my vaginal wall (it was carcinoma-in-situ). It is fairly rare for the cells to spread onto the vaginal wall, but it does happen. In rare circumstances, it can become cancerous.

I don't know what to tell you about the insurance. And a lot depends on how long it has been since you were last insured. They can consider this to be a pre-existing condition for up to 12 months, I believe. Hopefully, it won't be a problem. and it's certainly promising that you've already had one normal PAP.

Good luck, Patsy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register