The Back and Pelvic Pain are Back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Back and Pelvic Pain are Back The Back and Pelvic Pain are Back

Unread 01-14-2003, 04:36 PM
The Back and Pelvic Pain are Back

Have been experiencing more back and pelvic (bladder I think) pain in the past few days. Am thinking of quitting my estratest and have posted on the no hrt site to this effect. Was wondering if anyone else had continued problems of this type after a TVH-BSO? I went to my GP today and he wants to refer me to a neurosurgeon and says that the hysterectomy should have taken care of the endometriosis. Now, I feel like I'm imagining this pain. The Detrol I was taking for the bladder pains is starting to not be as effective as it was initially. I just don't understand why I am still having problems this far post op. Anyone else having continued comoplications? Anyone found any answers from their doctors? What kind of doctor should I see? I can't spend a lot more money. I just don't have it. I feel so lost. I just want someone to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2003, 07:38 PM

where is your back pain?
if I take certain prescription drugs or over the counter vitamins or drugs. I get a backache from my kidney hurting having a reaction to the meds, ask your doctor to check your kidneys to see if they are having a hard time with some drug or something.
my husband got kidney pain in his back from taking a herbal drink that was called barley green, he stopped and his pain went away. hope I helped. I hope you dont have an infection.
tamleeo
Unread 01-14-2003, 07:46 PM

It hurts in my very low back. Around my hip and buttock on the left side. I am not going to take my estrogen/testosterone starting tonight to see if it lets up. I don't want to have to have another surgery to find out if there is something in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2003, 07:56 PM

well that dont sound like kidney pain to me our kidneys are higher up, but if you just had surgery in dec, I wouldnt panic, I had endo so I know the hip and back pain thing, I get that from sleeping wrong sitting in this trashy computer chair, and bending too much. I will be going to my chiropractor as soon as my belly stops hurting, my chiropractor is good, he massasges muscles to loosen thier grip on the bone structure,
try a heating pad, not to hot though or you will get swelled inside! I made that mistake during one opf my bad periods and boy was I in pain for days, your doctor should know if he got all the endo, mine did she said she got it all, so maybe you just need more time and remember our bodies need time to adjust to any new medication, so ask lots of questions about your meds.
tamleeo
Unread 01-14-2003, 09:15 PM

Johnna -
Was endo found on any uterosacral ligaments? If so, I was told that it will take quite a long time for the nerves to heal. I had the same issue with back pain, doc found a little endo on the ligaments, but my back still hurts same as always (I'm only 1 week post op, though). I need to give things time to settle and heal, so I'll give it 2 months before I truly believe my back pain wasn't cured by the hyst/endo removal. In the meantime, a heating pad does help.

And why would your GP want to send you off to a neurosurgeon? Why not an orthopedic doc, to see if there's something non-pelvic wrong with your back, like a bulging disc (your mention of the hip & butt pain is quite common with disc issues). Is there something more to your back pain that would cause him to suggest that?
Unread 01-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Yes!

Hi, I'm seven weeks post from your same surgery. I'm experiencing major back pain, buy not lower like before from endo, but higher up like in the middle back. You're still early in your recovery and it just might be post op pain, like mine was. I've found that now that I've gone back to work (one week) the back pain is getting better little by little. Hopefully, as I use those muscles again, it will go away. I tried to get some pain meds, but they said it might mask something, which is probably true. It is getting better though, and hopefully yours will too with time. Good luck, Beth
Unread 01-14-2003, 10:24 PM

hi ive been having pain around my right kidney i had a tvh woth rectoile repair but i find if i have to pee its worse i dont have much pelvic pain but i find heat is good for the back i also had an epidural for surgery anyone have any ideas what it could be i see the dr again in feb i need to remember to ask him about this so i gotta write it down lol
Unread 01-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Just wondering

if some of the lower back/hip pain might be from the positions we're placed in for the actual surgery - reminiscent of medieval torture chambers? Then once we're off the pain meds other aches and pains from the odd positions start to surface. Just a thought... (I'm having some lower back pain as well - what tamleeo said is interesting - I'm heading back out to the kitchen to see if maybe it's one of the herbal teas I'm drinking???)
blessings,
catherine
Unread 01-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Johnna, I am sure there is a logical explanation somewhere

and I hope you mention this to your doc and get it evaluated soon. As the others mentioned, over a half dozen reasons for lower back pain. In my case, my lumbar discs are messed up, discovered that a month before surgery when they did an MRI, no prior lower back problems, normal activity and boom! DH was rushing me to the OR for demoral. My recent slug-like state hasn't helped either. MRI said I had severe degenerative disc disease, which I don't understand if there has been no prior history of lumbar back pain.

I also had a fibroid sitting right on the uterosacral ligament, right side and it was a tough dissection to get everything loose and out, but they managed. Lot of intense right sided pelvic pain in the days awaiting surgery, but that is a non-issue in evaluating the pain I have here and now. That one incision might just be slower to heal than the rest tho.

Been nearly three months since surgery, so I don't know how much those stirrups come into what is going on today. Your surgery was more recent tho.
Unread 01-15-2003, 05:36 AM

Up at 4:30 am. Not hurting as bad. Didn't take my Estratest last night. Hopefully my temperature and my bloodpressure will be down today. Was so nauseous last night I had to hit the bed. I'm thinking of not working today and resting but hate to miss work after just returning. I really need to see someone that can help me but I don't think I can afford it. When the pain hits it's in my hip and leg area. Haven't thought of the torture chamber theroy but this makes sense. I know you're put in positions that even a seasoned gymnast wouldn't attempt. I had had back pain for some years but after being diagnosed with endo attributed it to that. I just don't want to hurt anymore. That's why I had the operation to begin with. Maybe it will straighten out. Thanks for everyone's input. It is so comforting to know that someone out there is listening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register