ovarian cancer dx surprise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian cancer dx surprise ovarian cancer dx surprise

Unread 01-15-2003, 10:37 PM
ovarian cancer dx surprise

Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting as well. I was interested in Amy's post because it was pretty similar to my situation. I had a TAH/BSO on Dec. 19th because my doctor found a 10 cm cyst on my right ovary and a couple of fibroid tumors. I was assured, at age 33, that in no way was this going to be cancer. Well, it was. 1A Epithelial; endometrial, grade 2. Luckily for some reason, despite the assurances that the surgery was routine and they would just be removing the cyst and fibroids...the gyn had the gyn oncologist standing by and when they found that the ovarian mass was cancerous, they took everything out and staged and all that jazz. I was told that despite the fact that the tumor was contained, I will need 6 courses of chemo.

So, I was a little surprised to read that your doctor said that was it for treatment. I just assumed that they go on and prescribed chemo for everyone. Or maybe my doctor is just overly cautious? Or is there a big difference between serous and epithelial?

I haven't started chemo. My appt. with the regular oncologist is on 1/22. It's not like I look forward to chemo but I feel like without it, I can't have peace of mind that it is all gone. I don't know.

I'll be interested to hear what your second opinion says. My sister is encouraging me to get a second opinion but my doctor tells me that carbo/taxol is what anyone is going to recommend.

Good luck,
Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 06:02 AM

Welcome to the board, Jill

I was surprised to learn after I got my diagnosis and started reading up that there are in fact many different kinds of cancer that can appear in the ovary and that they typically follow very different patterns. Serous and epithelial do seem to be different (not a doctor of course).

I found a site that described some of the reasons for making the decision to include chemo in the treatment of your type cancer
http://www.womenshealthchannel.com/o...toptions.shtml

It looks as though some of the decision comes from the details of the pathology that might place you in the group that can benefit from chemotherapy and some of it may come from what they decided to do in surgery--remove the omentum or not, whether and how many lymph nodes to remove.

So, I wouldn't doubt your doctors for making a different set of choices from Amy's, but I would talk over the treatment plan with them so that you're committed to the healing process. And of course get a second opinion when in doubt.
Unread 01-16-2003, 07:55 AM

s Jill

I was sorry to read of your diagnosis but glad to see you were staged so very early!!! Good for you!
You and Amy both have ovarian cancer but completely different types. The kind Amy has contains cells that are very slowly dividing. Chemo would not have much effect on slow growing cells. So no treatment is advised. Epithelial, your type, contains rapidly dividing cells. Hence, chemo is very effective getting rid of any remaining cancer cells you might have.
You could get a second opinion, but taxol and carboplatin are pretty much the standard for your type. I have read that sometimes with an earlier stage they give less than six treatments. Perhaps when you see the onc on 1/22 his recommendation will be for less.
Many of us here have received taxol and carboplatin and would love to share our tips with you.
Please stop back here after your onc appointment and share the plan of treatment with us.
Stay strong Jill!!! You will get through this time and have a long and happy life.

s karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Mine Was Somewhat Surprising Too

I knew they were going in looking for it--they found it big time--3C epithelia. It's excellent that a gyn/onc was ready to take over--they're the best. The chemo isn't pleasant but it is do-able and hopefully will knock out any lurking cells left behind. I worked through mine with minimal time off and didn't have too many side effects; you may be different, but I say this to enforce chemo is do-able. Best wishes for long, long, long, long remission. Ellen
Unread 01-16-2003, 03:03 PM

Hi Jill

I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with ovarian cancer but glad that you found us. YES,,,six treatments of taxol and carboplatin is the norm. I am sure of it because i just finished my treatments in September also for ovarian cancer.
I am doing great. Did your doctor do a ca125 blood test? If so do you know your number?
Keep smiling... things are not always as grim as they seem.
Rosalie
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:28 PM

Hi Jillo,
I'm new here and trying to figure out my options. I don't have cancer (I hope), but I thought you might be interested in a website for ovarian cancer: www.ovariancancer.org
I wish you lots of luck on this journey you've started on.
wr
Unread 01-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Second Opinion

JilloJo,
If you would like the name of a Gyn-Oncologist for a second opinion, I have a friend in Chicago who may be able to give you some names. E-mail me privately and I will get those names for you.
[email protected]
Unread 01-27-2003, 10:04 PM

{{Jill}}

I'm so sorry you had such a surprise diagnosis but very glad they found it when they did.

I hope you've been able to get some more information and decide what options you have regarding treatment. If you are going with the chemo, I hope you'll have minimal side effects.

Please let us know how you are doing.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register