Pain on lower left side | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain on lower left side Pain on lower left side

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Pain on lower left side

Hi !

I am 10 weeks post-op and doing great. I have even lost weight. However, I have this pain on my left side...if I had my ovaries I would think it was them. I had a total hysterectomy.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of pain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Pain on lower left side

I just read your post after posting mine! I'm 11 weeks out and having pain on my right side where my ovary was. It's worse in the late afternoon after I've been on my feet all day. It was so bad tonight I had to get off my feet for an hour. I'm thinking about taking a pain pill tonight before bed to see if that helps it go away. Hopefully it's normal. The last thing I want to do is visit the doc again.
Unread 01-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Pain on lower left side

Hi, i noticed you havent got a reply yet well i too have had some pain in my left side sorta where my overys use to be, i have had a TAH so my segery was oct 15, 2002 and im doing good too i really couldnt tell yah what the pain was from but i noticed the more i did that day the more i hurt that nite so im thinking my body was telling me to slow down cause it was still healing up, just wondering if you too where going 90 miles an hour and your body was telling u to take it easy. I know i didnt help much just wanted to tell yah your not alone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Pain on lower left side

Julra,

I hope it's normal. The pain I feel isn't overwhelming just annoying. I take excedrin to help some....but I'm with you...if it doesn't stop we might need to check with the doctor. Or maybe our bodies are still adjusting....
Unread 01-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Pain on lower left side

Amyl,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have been going 90 to nothing! Maybe you are right...we need to slow down.
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Pain on lower left side

Hi!

After I had my surgery my doctor told me to call if I experienced any new pain. You are experiencing new pain that should be reported to your doctor. Please give them a call - keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care.

s
Unread 01-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Pain on lower left side

Dear Princesses,

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy, with both tubes,ovaries and the cervix removed (plus uterus,of course). One question I asked my doctor postop was if the cervix helps hold the vagina in place, how do you keep it in place so it doesn't fall out? She said they resect the ligaments from the hip/sacral area (and other areas) and tie those to the sides of the vagina to keep it in place. They also tie the top of the vagina shut (the vaginal cuff),too. Anyway, these ligaments are in a different position, so they have to learn to stretch and move with us, so we can have side pain from that, for a long time, postop. You just have to slow down and not do too much, which is really hard when you're feeling better. I'm almost 6 months postop and still have side pains occasionally, when I've had a long day at work and been on my feet for 9 hrs. plus. So, remember, easy does it, you still have lots of healing to do, especially internal healing. I hope this helps answer that question for you, ladies. ((Hugs)) to all, God bless.
DebraDeeH

this is my opinion;always get medical advice from a doctor
tah,bso,7-17-02, for endometriosus,adenomyosis,fibroids (several), rt.ovary & uterus enlarged
Unread 01-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Once again, I appreciate these threads!

Since I still *do* have the ovaries, I was worried. Praying we're all in the same NORMAL healing boat...will see my doc in a week.
I can deal with this unless things get worse--which they haven't.
Also notice that if my bowels aren't emptied, the pain is worse in that spot...something for you guys to also consider. Internal pressures make things not as comfy.
Unread 01-17-2003, 09:49 AM
about to launch into one of my very boring anatomical posts

might make some sisters yawn LOL!

Left side is where your descending colon joins up with the cecum, the holding area for stool before it passes the spincture and into the rectum on to the potty. Gas can pool up in this area and hurt like nobody's business.

You also have some ligaments in this general vicinity that were relocated and reattached, so the body is adjusting to the new architecture. Colon is moving into the extra space, lot of remodeling still in process inside.

Semi-logical explanation for some pain, but for sure, need to mention it to your doc to rule out other causes that need treatment.
Unread 01-17-2003, 05:48 PM
MeDh... I never tire of your explanations!

You know your anatomy and physiology, Girl. Thanks for the extra info. Myself, I am feeling better this evening. Yeah...the gas pooling was an issue for a day or so, now that you explain it that way. 'Tis a pain that no ibuprofen would touch! Hope all other side-aching sisters are feeling better too, at this moment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register