New and I need advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and I need advice New and I need advice

Unread 01-16-2003, 08:36 PM
New and I need advice

Hi, I'm 35 and my surgery was on 12/16/2002. I was actually looking forward to it, no more periods and no HRT(I was keeping my ovaries). But the pathology report showed a cancerus polyp, luckily it hadn't spread to the uterine muscle or my cervix. But as a precaution I'm having my ovaries and tubes removed. My gyn feels that no follow-up for the cancer is needed. I'm not as sure, (cancer in general runs in my family), I have an appointment with my PCP on tue( 1/21/03) so that I can get her opinion on what I should do.

What I'm looking for are questions that I should ask my PCP or any advice any one has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2003, 10:36 PM
New and I need advice

Christine
It sounds like you have been on a real rollercoaster. I was dx with endometrial ca stage 1 last July. My gyn thought I had a polyp and did a d and c to remove it and found the polyp was ca. We were all surprised because she said I dont fit the typical profile for an endo ca patient. An onc/gyn did the surgery. He sampled lymphnodes....all were clean and found the ca had not invaded the uterine wall at all. He said no further treatment is needed, but I go for checks every 3 months. I am 44 and was very worried about loosing my ovary function. My onc/gyn advised me to take hrt and said with a stage 1 ca that it would benefit me, but my gyn said no for at least 2 years. I have opted to go with caution and not do hrt for now. Surgical meno has not been as bad as I had imagined. I take a slew of vit and supplements and they have helped. Be sure to ask if your surgeon will sample lymphnodes while doing your surgery.
When is your surgery scheduled? did your path report stage or grade the ca?
Chris
You are welcome to email me with any particular ??
Unread 01-17-2003, 09:39 AM
New and I need advice

Chris

It really has been, my next surgery is on 1/27/03, my DR didn't grade or stage the cancer, he just said that it was only in the tip of the polyp. I asked about biopsying my lymphnodes but he said that there was no reason to. That's one of the things I'm not sure I agree with. The other thing that I did like was that the oncologist and my gyn discussed my case, the onc never spoke with me. These are things that I'm going to discuss with my PCP on Tue(1/21/03).

Also, I have been researching alternitives to HRT, have you tried any of the over the counter ones such as estoven?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2003, 06:08 PM
New and I need advice

s Christine

I would like to suggest that you make an appointment with a gyn onc yourself. It is good that your gyn spoke with one, but there is nothing quite as reassuring as a face to face yourself. Perhaps even a gyn onc should do the followup surgery. These docs are the experts at looking for cancer in your pelvis. A gyn onc would know best about checking lymph nodes as well.
Please keep in touch.

karenann
Unread 01-17-2003, 09:39 PM
New and I need advice

Christine
I am very surprised that your gyn doesn't think it is important to sample the lymphnodes when a cancer was found in your uterus. I was so relieved when my onc/gyn said my lymphnodes were clean. He said that he was expecting it because of the non invasive form of ca that I had, but that this would give us the extra assurance that all was well.
I agree with karenann....talk to the onc/gyn yourself.....I also would want him to do the surgery with your reg. gyn assisting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register