New to Hyster Sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to Hyster Sisters New to Hyster Sisters

Unread 01-17-2003, 07:10 PM
New to Hyster Sisters

Hi
This website is really great! I am already finding some of the
answers that I am looking for. I have a new surgery date set
for February 6, 2003. That's really coming up quick! They are
going to do a tvh and possible a & p repair. I hope they don't
have to do the latter. How long does it really take to recover
enough to feel better (even though your sore) and get out of
the house? Maybe ride around and get fresh air? I am a person
who is constantly on the go and I am wondering how to keep
still for 6 whole weeks? I would appreciate any help and
support.

Thanks

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2003, 08:28 PM
New to Hyster Sisters

Hi Sherry!

Welcome to HysterSisters! As you've already discovered there is tons of info and advice here! Also s when you need them.

Every person is different and has different tolerances to pain, different rates of healing, and the different types of surgery is also a variable in the recovery time. The type of anesthesia you have will have an effect on how fast you start feeling "human" again and how long you need pain meds.

Now that I've said all that . . . you won't be an invalid, or bedridden, or even housebound for the whole recovery time. But you will have restrictions on things like lifting, driving, housework, etc, and you will probably tire easily for a while.

I had a TAH/BSO done with general anesthesia. For the first couple of weeks I was a couch potato, but that was mainly due to the anesthesia and pain meds in my system. Then I was up and about more each day (gradual resumption of activities is a key). I was cleared to drive at 2 weeks but didn't feel up to it for another week or so. At 3 weeks I went to the grocery store with my DH, and out to lunch, I was wiped out and needed to sleep when I got home. At 5 weeks I went to a trade show with DH. It was about 3 hours from home. We spent several hours walking around the show, then spent the night in a hotel and back to the show for a couple more hours the next day. I was tired and sore, and the drive home was uncomfortable. At 7 weeks I was cleared to resume all activities, but gradually, not immediately jump into everything.

You need to listen to your body, but remember to follow your DR's instructions - you only have one chance to heal correctly!

Best wishes,
Unread 01-17-2003, 09:12 PM
TVH

Hey Sherry!!
Welcome to the best place you could have found pre op...I never would have made it thru the waiting without it...and made some really nice friends all over the US in the mean time.....
I had my TVH on 11/4...it was the best thing I ever did and no regrets what so ever....I came home almost 24 hours after surgery...took only a few pain pills...used Advil most of the time if I was uncomfortable....I had a spinal with Versed and loved it....Sitting around and letting family wait on me was very difficult...I got scolded alot during the first two weeks and had to promise to be good the third week when I was home alone....Your body will tell you when you overdo....just be careful of lifting things too heavy. It was hard to remember NOT to do things because I didn't have an incision. I was somewhat sore but it wasn't as bad as when I had my sons vaginally....I drove at two weeks....started to do more and more after three weeks....went back to work at four weeks and got cleared for everything at six....Sex is no different....actually it is alot nicer cause you don't have to worry about a period anymore....There is lots more room in my linen closet now that my surplus of fem. products are gone...Gave them to co workers in a very large gift bag ....
Everyone recovers differently...listen to your doctor and your body.....be sure to not get constipated...stool softners will be your best friend....lots of water too.....The worst part is the waiting.....and it will all be over soon...
Feel free to email me if you have any questions....Take care and good luck!!!

lilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2003, 09:12 PM
wonderful sisters

I am so glad to hear from my sisters. I love hearing what you
have been through and I know it will help me to get through this.
It really makes me feel good to get hugs from you and to know
that I have lots and lots of support. I wish I could get all my
thoughts into words. I want you to know that all are returned 100 fold and would give them personally if that were
possible! Love to you all and stay in touch because I still have almost 3 more weeks to go. I am taking paperwork to dr. this
week and I am getting . Lots and Lots of .

love to all

Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register