IBS is flaring sooooo bad :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS is flaring sooooo bad :( IBS is flaring sooooo bad :(

Unread 01-20-2003, 11:05 AM
IBS is flaring sooooo bad :(

I know why it's flaring: I had huge food excesses during the holliday season, so much so that, on the 2nd of January, I had diarrhea However, since then, I've been soooooo constipated. It's now to the point where, even when I manage to go, I never feel like I can empty. I did use Senokot, with success, but I really hate using laxatives, because, for me, they create a dependance really fast And the spasms are become almost constant

Here's what I've been doing:
  • Eating Raisin Bran cereals... I have other types of bran cereals, but they've always been the most effective for me;
  • Eating Apple Sauce (heated)
  • Eating Prunes (warmed)
  • Drinking plenty of water and I always drink it at room temperature and have even been adding some hot water
  • Walking (I'm remembering my training)

Is there anything else I could do/add to my diet. I'm trying not to go off my weight loss program, because I've been having problems maintaining, but I just may have to do it.

GRRRRR, why do I do this to myself????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Here is what the GI doc suggested for me

and it is amazing that there are polor opposites in the suggestions for the same disorder! Guess it depends on the doctor, his training and the symptoms the patient presents. My IBS is the constipating type, and gas and bloating were the two symptoms that drove me nutty.

1. eliminate dairy entirely or at minimum substitute lact-aid milk, but soy preferred. No cheese or dairy in any form

2. no prunes, fiber supps or bran since those help the bowel move by creating gas and the gas propels the stool along. If I do want to eat a gassy food like red beans and rice or cabbage, use the Beano too.

3. No laxatives containing senna but milk o' magnesia instead, which is not habit forming

4. Five to seven servings of fruit/veg a day. Was doing that anyway.

5. Up to a half gallon of water a day, three quarters of a gallon is even better. GI doc didn't specify temp but my alternative healers said body temp is better than chilled. My daily goal is to make my back teeth float.

6. Watch my intake of corn and corn products. Do you have any idea how many food products use corn syrup? Also watch sucrose intake. Some folks are just sensitives to sugars like lactose, sucrose and corn syrup. Never had a sweet tooth, so this wasn't hard to adapt to my diet.

7. glycerine suppository as needed to produce a bowel movement. Don't need this often, but with the rectocele repair and a past history of fistulas, it is important to avoid straining the area.

Giving up dairy has given me big changes for the better. No more bloat Never bad advice to tell a patient to eat her veggies and stay well hydrated. And it isn't uncommon for a patient to tolerate certain foods for all her life and then develp a food intolerance.
Unread 01-20-2003, 12:56 PM
IBS

I was diagnosed with IBS and lactose intolerence. Every day I take the supplement Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc three tablets a day. I take a multivitamin with no added iron. And I have two fiberchoice chewables every night. This regimen really helps. Fiber is good and non-laxative, and the Calcium isn't a bad idea either. I used to go up to two weeks without a bowel movement, then I would vomit if I tried to eat. A colonoscopy didn't show anything. I just started this post- op and it has made a huge improvement in my bowel habits and my life. Hope I have helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2003, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the input

MeDH: I have always been really careful not to eat too much cheese (It's hard, 'cause I the stuff) and corn products. I'm always really careful of my sugar intake, because, as I mentionned, I'm trying (not quite succeeding) to maintain my weight, but will be even more careful.

I don't think I'm lactose intolerant, never was before I don't have much in dairy product department, because, on the dietary program I'm on, we're only allowed (have to have) 2 milk portions a day. And I don't really like milk. I have it in the form of yogurt and skim milk. Since I'm not going to weigh-in next week (have a meeting for my son's new school that day) I'll see how I do without the milk or with less milk).

I do eat a lot of vegies and fruits and have always loved water. I know that warm water is more effective. I know that prunes and fiber increase the gas and bloating problems, but that is not my most annoying problem. The constipation is and the colonic spasms are.

However, right now, I'm almost at my wit's end, so I'm ready to try just about anything
Unread 01-20-2003, 03:25 PM

(((Dany))) I'm so sorry you're having to deal with constipation now, I know when I have it it can make me feel soooo cranky!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and you've gotten some great advice already... I just wanted to mention a few things that have gotten me out of a 'jam' many times before:
  • bran muffins - I can hardly finish a big bran muffin before I have to head off to the bathroom
  • warm prune juice - luckily, I love the taste of the stuff, and it works very well for me
  • coffee - I'm not sure why this works, perhaps because I don't drink it very often, but (if you can have caffeine) it works for me
  • ice cream - again, not sure why, but I always have to go right after eating ice cream, which makes trips to Baskin-Robbins impractical for me
  • talking on the phone - now I admit this one is really strange, but true. Every time I get on the phone with someone I know well, I have to go. Especially my mother. I even asked her once if she knew why that might be happening, and she said she thought it might be that it's calming, comfortable and relaxing, and it may allow whatever is spasm-ing in there to relax as well
  • a warm bath - probably due to that relaxation thing again

I hope you find something that works for you... feel better soon!
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-20-2003, 04:09 PM

ok just out of curiosity what the heck does a bowel spasm feel like? I know what my bladder spasms feel like and just wondered if this could be what my bad twisty pain might be?

thanks Dany
Unread 01-20-2003, 08:54 PM

{{{{{{{{Dany}}}}}}}} I can relate.....had bad flare-ups in Oct. and Nov. and then "poof" I was fine. I watch my diet as you do and take Metamucil nightly without fail. I use Levsin for bowel spasms but it only helps if I catch them early. Linda, talking on the phone makes me go, too. I thought I was weird! Gidge, I can actually feel my bowels spasm as far up as my stomach and esophagus when they are really bad. The pain kinda comes and goes and then all of a sudden my intestines relax and then I just feel sore. IBS is the pits.

Emily s
Unread 01-20-2003, 09:34 PM

(((Emily))), maybe we should take turns calling (((Dany))) so she can go, too? Hey, if it works, why not?
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-21-2003, 11:01 AM

Talking on the phone doesn't work for me, I know that for sure.... 'cause I've been known to talk to my mom or my sister for hours on end. It was a nice suggestion, though and I'd love to hear your voices, (((((Linda)))))) and ((((((Emily))))))

((((Linda))))), thanks for the additional tips. I know that caffeine doesn't work for. I have at least 2 cups of coffee a day... and it doesn't help. Ice cream I've never noticed if it worked or not. I might just try it... but I'm thinking that, if I've developped an intolerance to lactose (my mom has it, big time), it would then compound the problem.

Bran muffins, warmed prune juice and warm baths all usually work for me. I've been doing the warm baths ever since the problem started. Since I'm not going to my weigh-in next week, I'll start on the Bran muffins starting tomorrow and will start the warmed prune juice regimen again (I'm trying not use my 3 fruit a day allowance in juices... but I'll make an exception or add an extra fruit a day until I've got this problem settled).

((((Gidge)))) for me, the bowel spasms do not even feel like spasms. I have very sharp pains in my lower right abs. Most of the time it's concentrated to that area, almost like a knot, but, at it's worst, it irradiated to my back (though that might have been an ovarian cyst --- the pain was the same, just had that irradiation that was different --- cyst was never confirmed). The twisting pain you're feeling might be a bowel spasm, since the pain since to differ in different people.... which is soooooo typical of IBS
Unread 01-21-2003, 11:12 AM

thanks Dany

I guess I"m grasping here, but there is something definitely causing pain in what I believe to be my bowels and maybe this is something to look into, I mean I"ve been having nonstop bladder spasms since the surgery so I guess it's not too far of a leap to think my bowel could do it to? I have no diarehea or constipation though...........

sending you big 's!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register