IBS is flaring sooooo bad :( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS is flaring sooooo bad :( IBS is flaring sooooo bad :(

Unread 01-21-2003, 05:02 PM
I want to jump in here for a moment

Dany first girl can I ever so relate to bowel spasm and the constipation. I am so sorry you going thorough this right now, because so am I. My constipation will be so bad that when I do have a bowel movement it hurts and I get spasm in my rectum all way up to the pelvic area.

Gidge I can relate to bladder spasm's because after my hysterectomy I bad bladder spasm that last for about 2 months off and on. Which feels like the same pain I would get in my bowels. IBS is no joke. Take care and drink plenty of water.

Oh btw I take Bently for my spasm which works most of the time, but sometimes the medicine can me even more constipated. No win situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 05:27 PM
IBS is flaring sooooo bad :(

{{{Dany}}}
The excesses of the holidays have gotten me too! And what I would call excess y'all would probably laugh at.

Anways, my Osteopathic doctor has started me on Aloe Vera juice. She says it's quite possible that it might help to heal my insides. I figured what the heck, I've nothing to lose. I put a shot of the juice in a glass of water and drink. Well....I have found that it REALLY loosens the stools. At least for me it does.

I use to use Senekot on a regular basis before my hyst, but found that the last few years it doesn't work as well for me. Wal-Mart has the Equate brand of a stool softener w/ a laxative in it that usually gets me moving again.

For me eating more fiber makes things worse. I know we're all different so I guess you'll have to try a few different things and see what works best. You might want to jot down the things that you try and the results, this way the next time you have a flare you'll know what worked the best.

I hope you find some relief soon Dany.
Unread 01-21-2003, 05:34 PM

s to all us IBS ladies! I am different than you guys........I have diarrhea. There were times I hated to go anywhere if I didn't know where the bathrooms were. Hang in there gals!!!!!

Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the additional input, dear girls I'm still not going, even after taking the remainder of my Senokot... but I now feel some rumblings... hoping that it will get kick-started into action. I know from experience that, usually, once I start going and the stools get soft and "normal", then, as long as I keep eating right, I'm ok.

Kim: I'll have to look for the Equate brand of stool softener with a laxative, because the Senokot is simply not doing it for me. I am writing down everything I eat and results are simple to note, right now: nothing is happening, regardless of what I'm eating. I'll look for that Aloe Vera juice: who knows, might work.

Gidge: My bowel spams are not necessarily accompanied by gas, constipation or diarrhea. That's why, originally, I was convinced it was my ovary, that and the fact that the pains were cyclic. So, it might very well be that your bowels are spasming and not the bladder. Might explain why the meds aren't working this time. Keep grasping, you might find the right straw

(((((Emily))))): IBS sure is no fun... whatever shape it takes... and it's been known to take on many of them.
Unread 01-22-2003, 01:56 PM

Boy, there are so many sisters who can relate to the problems associated with IBS! I hope things get 'moving' for you soon! Prior to my dx, I would be constipated for 9, 10 days. During the colonoscopy Dr. said that my colon was literally running away from the scope, that's how spastic it is.

I know lots of us have had the IBS problems increase since surgery...count me as one of them! Eek! Now I'm the opposite of constipated. And you're right, you don't need to have gas to get spasms, Dany. As I told Gidge in her post, I get the symptoms daily...sometimes they are like a gallbladder attack...other times sharp pains.

It really is a guessing game, this IBS. You wake up thinking..."Hmm, what's it going to do to me TODAY? "

I hope you get relief soon...we're with ya!
Unread 01-22-2003, 03:22 PM
I have IBS too

Mine is a combination; I never know what will set it off. Some times I can eat something and it doesn't affect me; the next time the same thing has me running for the bathroom.

Its amazing how many of us suffer from this; mine started while I was recovering from an eating disorder in college.

Dana
Unread 01-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Boy, can I relate :(

((((((((((Dany)))))))))) I'm very sorry I haven't been around much here lately. I am so sorry you are going through this

I too have IBS, and for me usually it had me running to the loo...But for the past couple of months I have been soooo constipated. I stopped taking the metamucil, because it wasn't working...tried other things. Then I finally had a BM and I almost passed out (it took approx a 1/2 hour). Sorry to be so graphic but geesh 'what some people take for granted eh.'

At my last dr's appointment I asked for something to help get things moving. The doc suggested something called lactulose. it is not habit forming, and it doesn't give me additional gut pains. Here's a link for more information: http://www.endowsec.com/pated/lactulose.htm

I was really getting desparate, as I'm sure constipation doesn't help ab pain. You can get this behind the counter at the pharmacy. But keep in mind that there is sugar in it...so for those who can't tolerate sugar, please ask your doc. Best to check with your doc first before taking anything like this.

I did find it to be very gentle, witch is a total bonus.
S to you Dany, and let us know how you are doing...
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:27 PM

(((Sheila)))) as you know, I'm one of those who's IBS has really gotten worse since the surgery.... and it's not improving

(((Dani))) I'm sorry you're also suffering from this condition... it's especially hard when you can't put your finger on a trigger. I usually can, as is the case for the present flare up: I overate during the hollidays, ended up with diarrhea and am now finding it almost impossible to "spark" my system back to normal. I hate it when it's self inflicted

((((Jude))))) Sweetie, I'm so sorry your life is soooo hectic right now. I do hope that you're finding time to take care of (((((Jude)))) and that you're keeping the stressors at bay I can identify with the 30 minute trip to the bathroom... and being left weak and exhausted after such effort. Thanks for the info and link to lactulose.... it sounds very interesting. As you might guess, I'm willing to try just about anything right now.
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:36 PM

Dany,
I just thought of another thing that was recommended to me by my GI doc for those more constipated moments. Magnesium Citrate. Here in the states in comes in a glass bottle, located by the laxatives. It's about an 8oz bottle and you put in the fridge to chill and than just drink it. It tastes a little like lemon lime soda.

Unread 01-22-2003, 07:40 PM

(((Kim)))) Unfortunately, I'm familiar with Mag Citrate: Had to drink that awful, awful stuff before my IVP, when I had my pre-op for my hyst. Very effective... but Might be worth a try... but I did hate that awful salty taste.... even chilled.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register