Evista, cancer, hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Evista, cancer, hormones Evista, cancer, hormones

Unread 01-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Evista, cancer, hormones

I had a hysterectomy in 1995 because I liked the odds of cervical cancer not reoccuring with that choice, because I had cervical cancer. I've been cancer free since then, but my problem is my hormones. Does anyone out there have any experience with having a hysterectomy (with ovaries left in), then getting menopausal symptoms and being put on Evista? My doc put me on Evista because he thought it would be as good as estrogen without the cancer-causing risks of estrogen. I've been on a roller coaster but feel better now than when I've been on estrogen. I just get hot flashes and very cranky between doses (I take four eighth-pill doses a day.) unless I take B6, magsesium potassium aspertate and use a foot cream that helps me for some reason. Would a progesterone cream help? My doctor says estrogen turns into progesterone in the body, but I'm beginning to think it doesn't in my body. I've probably left out some details, but that's the gist of my situation. The doctor put me on Evista because he doesn't want my cancer to come back. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Evista, cancer, hormones

Hi Wendy,

I have to say that my reaction to reading all this is that you should get a second opinion. Of course things get garbled in transmission sometimes but none of what you are reporting makes sense to me (if you do a look around, you'll see that I spend a lot of time trying to make sense of things around here ) Don't take what I'm about to say as the final word--but do take it as a sign that maybe a different medical perspective might be a good idea.

1. Evista makes menopausal symptoms worse. This is well-known and is in fact part of the patient information. It's a SERM (selective estrogen-receptor modulator), not a true estrogen. So it has some of the good effects (on bone) but not all the good effects and apparently has a good effect on estrogen receptive breast cancer (research on that is on-going).

2. B6 and magnesium are necessary for processing estrogen metabolites and without them they don't clear through the liver as well so that's probably why you feel better on them. They have lots of other duties in the body, so they're just generally good things. It's better though to get a B complex since the B6 is synergistic with the other Bs and using it alone can cause imbalance problems, particularly, I think, with B12.

3. I read you talking about the foot cream elsewhere. The placebo effect in the hormone jungle is huge, but one does have to wonder if there isn't some progesterone in it. Over teh counter substances are virtually unregulated and many are later found to contain prescription drugs and the wrong levels of what they do claim to have, so it's possible.

4. All of the conversion pathways that I've read do not show estrogen turning into progesterone. A site that shows conversion pathways is at http://www.yourmenopausetype.com/ste...hway/index.htm You'll see that estrogen is sort of the end of the line on the conversions. And Evista, since it is a SERM, not a true estrogen, would not be part of the conversion pathways anyway (at least in anything I've read)

5. Cervical cancer is usually related to the HPV virus and not to steroids. There's a distant but not a close connection. Many women with cervical cancer or dysplasia can take hormones. For instance, you kept your ovaries. The only FDA approved reason for taking Evista is to prevent bone loss. It might have a beneficial effect on breast cancer risk (unproven) and it might (even more unproven) have a beneficial effect on endometriosis, which hopefully isn't a problem for you post-hyst. It has no known role that I can find in preventing cervical or ovarian cancer.

So, all told, I'd have to say that maybe it's time to get someone else's perspective on what your choices are to feel better. He certainly has unorthodox views anyway.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register