post-hysterectomy adhesions - be careful | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post-hysterectomy adhesions - be careful post-hysterectomy adhesions - be careful

Unread 01-20-2003, 06:32 PM
post-hysterectomy adhesions - be careful

I had my vag. hysterectomy on 5/31/02. All went great, no complications, back to work in 5 weeks, all was perfect. Went along with no problems until 1/6/03. The day I will always remember. Got to work, felt great, went out to lunch about 1 pm,
came back, felt fine, heading home from work about 5 pm I felt alittle queasy. That night, ate no dinner, continually feeling worse. About 10 pm, vomiting imminent, gas pains horribly throughout my abdomen. All night, vomiting, excrutiating pain in my abdomen continued. 7:30 a.m. 1-7-03, went to the ER - told I had Gastroenteritis, given IV fluids and sent home with an anti-nausea medication to be taken with sips of water. All day - tried to take the anti-nauseau pills - couldn't keep the water down - even sips, tried to brush my teeth - kept vomiting every time water got near my mouth. That night - 1-7-03 - went back to the ER, told my husband I was violently ill and needed to be seen again. Vomited in the ER again, and again, and again - even thru Phenergan & other anti-nausea medications & 2 bags of IV fluids. Finally - they admitted me for observation. My abdomen grossly distended by this time and extremely painful. Vomited all night - despite all efforts by nursing staff. 8 am - 1-8-03 - to x-ray, abdomen & chest x-rays to see if they could see what was going on. 1 pm - nurse came in and said they think some sort bowel obstruction may be causing the pain and vomiting - more tests to come in a few minutes. 5 pm - went for Cat Scan of my abdomen, had to drink barium liquid and try to keep it down for the test. Got the test quickly, the radioliogist came out immediately and told me I did have a bowel obstruction and someone would be up to my room to discuss it. Back in my room - 6:45 pm - nurse comes in, says I have to have a nasal gastric tube down my nose to suck out all the barium and that the doctor is coming in. Surgeon walks in at that time - says my bowel is greatly distended and an obstruction has caused alot of damage, doesn't know how much - needs to get in there and see, no time to think about it - surgery had to be done immediately. Has no reason at this time, will tell me more after the surgery. Husband, daughters come back from dinner at that time - I just had the tramatic experience of putting down the N G Tube which was the worst thing. They wisk me out of my room at 7:15 pm at night, to surgery - exploratory laporatomy. I am in surgery 2 hrs. then rec.
Back in my room at about midnight - 1-9-03 - MY 50th Birthday!!.
Cause of surgery they discovered - adhessions from my vaginal hysterectomy had grown over the small intestine and completely blocked it off - nothing could go thru - nothing. Luckily, no part of the small intestine died and I did not have to have an illiostomy or have a bowel resection or anything more than the abdominal surgery. I am recovering, 6-8 weeks off work again! Thank goodness my boss is so supportive. The surgeon said I was lucky I was vomiting so violently or they might not have found it so soon. Maurice Gibbs died from the same surgery the next day as you might have read.
My message, be aware of complications that can occur. I read all the papers they gave me to sign and thought, that won't happen to me. Be aware that it can happen to you. Take care of yourself and love your family and be happy we do have the doctors we do have. I had the best OB/GYN do my surgery, I love her to death, she didn't do this, no one did but neither did they give me the tools to recognize such a silent complication that could wait out there - only less than 8 months from my surgery.
Best of luck to you if you are considering this surgery, I would do it again in a minute because the hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did but I wish I would have know more about the complications that could arise and for me - that did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 06:54 PM

Ann
Unread 01-28-2003, 04:52 AM

's KYCARD,

I am so sorry that this happened to you Thank you for being concerned about others and coming here to tell us about what happened.

I hope that you'll make a full and complete recovery, and have no more complications. How very frightening this must have been.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 05:56 AM

((kycard))
Thanks for sharing this, I'm so sorry for all you've been thru Bowel Obstructions are dangerous... I had to have emergency surgery for 2 Total obstructions in May of 2000, 4 months after my TAH. Once you have them, unfortunately, you are more prone to having another I have to monitor my symptoms carefully as I suffer from partial obstructions from time to time...
I hope all is going well with your recovery... Thank you again Please let us know how your doing....(((hugs)))
Unread 01-28-2003, 06:25 AM

Hi - I just went through the same ordeal 6 weeks ago - bowel obstruction is a very painful and very scary experience . . . but my TAH was over 2 years ago!! I am still in recovery mode. Please be aware that as Sheri says, you are now prone to further obstructions.

Thanks for posting, and I hope you continue to do well.

Jill
Unread 01-30-2003, 07:09 AM

These are the scary letters that I wish weren't here... because I have adhesions, and my gut is grossly distended. I feel like my belly is going to split. I'm due to have a TAH/BSO in two weeks, but it appears that the people at the adhesions board are not supportive of any surgery unless it's done by one of about 7 people in the world.

I'm so sorry to hear of your horrific experiences and.... your pain! But do you wish you had not had the surgery? Any other regrets? Anything else you would have done differently? Any views you can shed would be appreciated.

I know it sounds hollow to say I hope you feel better, but just know I am a fellow sufferer.
wr

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register