adenomyosis / hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenomyosis / hysterectomy adenomyosis / hysterectomy

Unread 01-21-2003, 11:13 AM
adenomyosis / hysterectomy

I will be having a hysterectomy on February 10, 2003. I have suffered from Adenomyosis for several years now and can't take the pain any longer!
I'm very scared about the surgery! But the surgery should take the pain away! Can anyone tell me their surgery experience from the beginning to the end. It's nice to know what to expect. Good and bad!
My Doctor will be leaving my ovaries in unless he finds something not right.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 11:21 AM
welcome to hystersisters!

What approach is the surgeon taking, abdominal or vaginal? Mine was vaginal but no matter what approach they take to get your uterus out, initial post op recovery lasts six to eight weeks. And this is six to eight weeks of resting, adhering to post op orders about lifting and other activities and more. We call it Princess training around here

I had adeno too and the best way medicine can deal with it is removing the uterus. Maybe in 20 years there will be alternatives, but I wasn't about to wait that long! Enough of the menstrual cramps and PMS already! So far, so good three month post on not having a period to make my life miserable 10 days a month, so I would say the surgery was a success treating my chronic pelvic pain. Plus, I can go poop without pain and I don't wet my pants anymore. Life without laughter is not one I am willing to settle for.
Unread 01-21-2003, 02:08 PM

Hello I had a LAVH on Dec 27th due to adenomyosis. And I feel wonderful. I kept both of my ovaries. My doc said they looked great and very healthy . Well I went back to work January 7th. The sugery was a godsend to me. I haven't felt this good in such a long time. I'm not in any pain and I can actually function now. DH and I are getting along tons better too. When I went back to my doc he couldn't believe I have healed up so nicely so fast. Said it was due to my age which is 29.

Right after the sugery I wasn't really in any pain since I had a pump. The only thing that really hurt was my bladder from the cath. After I got some liquids in me that pain went away. Slept pretty good through the night and at 4:00 in the morning they came in and took off the leg messagers and took the cath out. Asked if I wanted to take a shower and in I went. Doc came back later about 9:30 and said that I could go home whenever I wanted to. He said that he had a little trouble getting the uterus out because both of my babies had been c-section, and that I might be a little sore. Not much though. I left the castle about 4:00 that afternoon. The next day I was a little tired slept most of it. I found that the pain would ease up when I took a hot shower. I didn't take many pain pills. Esp. when compared to what I took before the surgery. I have felt great since. My doc let me come back to work one week and four days after surgery but I still have the no lifting and no sex until Feb 8th which will be my 6 weeks. I don't regret having the surgery one bit.

Sorry this is so long! I hope this helps too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 02:23 PM

Carry
I just had my TAH on Jan 2 2003. I had it for the same reason you are endo. I had two Laproscopic surgeries before it came to this but time brought me right back to the hideous pain and everything else that goes along with it. I was frightened of the surgery too but ready to be done with all of it. I had to have mine done through the abdomen due to the endo. If you are gonna have yours done through abdomen you will be down a little longer. I had two c-sections so they went through old scar.
I was in hospital for three days. I was on a morphine pump and was injected with demerol every two hours on the third day I was given 2 percodan every 4 hours and demerol every two so I really experienced almost no pain in hospital. Only pain I remember was due to a hospital mistake and let me out of recovery room to soon. But after some yelling and screaming I was quickly injected with morphine and fine. I went home on 4th day and the ride was rough I live in country and up a long bumpy driveway. Make sure you have some pillows. The first week at home was rough for me make sure you have plenty of help. Do the things now you want done because you CANT do them after.
Freeze dinners maybe, get the house as clean as you want it,
You cant drive for three weeks. You cant lift for 6 weeks.
The doctor will send you home with pain medicine that is good.
I also used Tylenol PM at night the first week to help me sleep. Ask your doctor first if you can mix with your medicine. Im am over two weeks with my surgery everyday is better. I thought I would be bouncing back sooner though.
What type Hysto are you having??
Slowing coming back!!! Sandy
Unread 01-21-2003, 04:46 PM
I was the BIGGEST CHICKENNNN before.....

Girl.....
Let me say that before my surgery date of Jan 6th I was the biggest chicken.....even tho I was suffering with pelvic pain and totally looked 7 months pregnant I was ready to leave it all alone and suffer......well.......slowly I began to rely on our Lord and through him I got strength that I have never had before......

Had the surgery and when I came too I was hooked up to the most lovely little thing called a morphine pump that I could push myself every 6 minutes....the only problem was I would push it pass out then awake with pain and push it again and fall back asleep...so my hubby started pushing it for me when I would fall asleep....that helped alot....the next day it was rough getting up the first time.....the first walk was rough......the hot shower helped a great deal...I also awoke from surgery with leg massagers on...they were kinda fun.......I know I looked sexy in my " leg warmers" and my shaved cha cha!!!

I came home on the 3rd day....could not get in and out of my own bed so slept in the recliner for a few days...stayed on my demerol pain pills every 4 hours for about 4 days and it got better every day..........I am right at 2 weeks now and what I am experiencing now is bladder spasms after I tee-tee...they say those will go away soon................fingers crossed!!!

Also..when they took the staples out I didn't even feel it.....where my incision is is numb......
You'll do just fine....put some faith in the Lord......and be ready...it's gonna hurt but with all the pain meds and all you'll make it....I'm telling you...if I can make it...YOU CAN TOOOOOOOO

They found cancer beginnings on top of my cervix that we didnt know about!!!!! I am soo glad I did this.....plus people have brought us dinners every night for 2 weeks.....I have recieved candy cards and bath supplies!!!! I am really getting used to this pampering!!!

I had my ovaries out and in the hospital they started me on a low dose of estrogen and so far no problems not a hot flash one...well except when I see hubby naked but thats a different kind of hot flash!!!!!!
You'll do great...the anticipation is the killer!!!!
I bought my self 3 nice soft gowns...took the shorty one to the castle.....and a nice soft fleece robe and some slipper socks..........I took my shower junk...some carmex which saved my life because my mouth and lips were parched from the drugs.......and my rosary beads. Once home it was nice to have several elastic banded pants with tops to lounge in........

I'll say a pray for you...drink your water and you'll be great!!!
Your hyster sista!!!!!!
Debbie
Unread 01-21-2003, 04:49 PM
I forgot...

I forgot to say...that I came home on wednesday and on thursday the school called and my youngest girl had broke her arm on the playground.......so on Friday there we were..her on her pain meds and me on mine......it will be a cherished memory for both of us!!!!

She gets her cast off when I am reach my 6 week mark!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register