can someone help? PLEASE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can someone help? PLEASE can someone help? PLEASE

Unread 01-21-2003, 03:59 PM
can someone help? PLEASE

Hi everyone, Well I just got back from my Urogynecologist apt. It is worse that I thought. He is sending me over to see a colon rectal surgeon right away because I have total rectal descent and perineal descent. I have to have a colon resection. Needless to say I cant stop shaking. My thoughts are running wild in my head and I just dont know what to do to calm down. PLEASE, if any one has ever had this procedure done, please let me know what it was like . Thanks so much, Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 04:29 PM
jodys

(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) So sorry. Another sister will be along shortly to help you . A co-worker had a similar probelm, she is doing wonderfully now.

Take several deep breaths. you are in my prayers.

please keep us informed
Unread 01-21-2003, 05:51 PM
can someone help? PLEASE

{{{Jody}}}
I'm so sorry. I don't have any experience with a colon resection. You could do a search of this forum and use resection as your keyword and see what you find until someone with some experience in colon resections comes along. I'm sending tons of s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2003, 07:47 PM
The good and the bad.........

I just had a colon resection done on the 9th of Dec. I was diagnosed with colon cancer, and so for me it was very emotional. Depending on where the resection is done you should not have any problems, however, if it is in the lower part of the rectum sometimes the have to do a colostomy which is basically a pouch they place on the outside to collect your waste untill the colon and rectum heal. It is usually reversed in a month or so. The pre surgery starts with a total colon cleanse....clear liquid for a couple of days, a bottle of golytly, and an ennema. The surgery itself takes about 4-5 hours. I had a longer surgery as I also had a colonoscopy done at the same time the surgery was performed. After wards you are in the hospital for about 7-9 days. If you have to have a colostomy bag you will probably be in intensive care for a few days. I was supposed to be, but my surgery went well enough that I went straight to my room. I had a morphine pump for pain and demerol for breakthrough pain. I was a zombie for at leat 2 weels lol. I am having a slow recovery, but that is probably due to the fact that I just had my hysterectomy 3 months befor this one. You will have a vertical incision, mine is a serpentine incision that goes around my belly button. I had staples that were removed 3 weeks after I was home. I have heard that if your resection is lower in the colon you should seek a rectal colon surgeon. Please let me know how you are doing, and If I can help just let me know. I will be praying for you and sending your way, Debi
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:28 AM
can someone help? PLEASE

Careful or you will fall into the same panic that hit me last Thursday. It is very overwhelming to receive such horrendous news. Start writing down all of your questions and get those questions to the doctor's staff. They've dealt with lots and lots of this type of problem and they should be able to give you good information, be compassionate yet unbiased.

Trust me, I completely understand how you feel. I am still waiting to hear from the urogyn about the defec. That does not give me a sense of confidence in the urogyn. I'm "supposed" to be taking a long awaited vacation in 9 weeks and I have this sick feeling that I will be told its a "no go".

Drop me a line if you want to talk.
Unread 01-22-2003, 06:41 AM
can someone help? PLEASE

Thanks for you responses everyone. I had a "long talk with God" last night and am feeling a little more at peace now! Plus all the Dove chocolates I had really helped too!!! Mine will be the sigmoid colon that is removed. The one thing that worries me is having a NG tube down my throat. I really think I will choke. The thought of that is worse that the thought of a bag to me. I've heard they keep it in several days after surgery. Debi, you have been through so much with cancer on top of all of this. I'm praying that you have a really safe and speedy recovery. Hugs to all, Jody
Unread 01-22-2003, 12:32 PM
can someone help? PLEASE

Jodys, after reading your post, especially about the ng tube, I just wanted to tell you it really isn't that bad, and you really don't feel it. I had to have one 2 years ago in an emergency situation because of a stomach volvulus and the worst part was putting it in, but you will be asleep for that part, so you will have already adjusted to it when you awake. I found the worst part was trying to brush my teeth, i tend to be very clumsy! Don't worry about when its taken out either, you don't feel anything, it slides easily. I hope this has helped ease some of your fears, and that everything will go well. I haven't had a resection, but I have had my stomach repositioned twice in the last 18 months because of a very rare condition, so I can understand somewhat how you feel. Good luck with everything and I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 01-22-2003, 03:12 PM
can someone help? PLEASE

Hi Jody,
Thanks for the prayers, I said one for you last night. It sound as though your resection is going to be very similar to mine. If it is I don't think you have to worry about the bag. They had it down on my paperwork as a possability though. It isn't fun, but there are worse things When you get done with your surgery we'll swap stories. I saw my gyn today and he said he couldn't believe how good I look for having had two major surgeries,,sure I bet he says that to all the gals lol. But seriously don't be to stressed you won't feel a thing and you get all the good drugs! The ng tube is a different story for me, because the nurses screwed up, but really it isn't too bad and taking it out is a breeze. The up side is I lost 25 lbs !! LOL so there you go....when life gives you a lemon make lemonade I will be praying for you s Debi
Unread 01-22-2003, 04:38 PM
can someone help? PLEASE

I may be on the wrong track but I have had a tube up my nose and down in to my lungs after an operation and I could not talk while it was in. As it has not been mentioned could one of you that know for sure tell Jody if this is the case. It is better to know beforehand and have pen and paper close by so you can communicate. I remember trying to tell the nurse what I wanted by holding one hand out and pretending to write on it with the other hand and she did not have a clue what I wanted. You have to wonder about some people don't you.

You and in my thoughts and prayers Jody, I wish you all the very best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register